C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-pipes: stock vs. Borla vs. Corsa

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 12:18 AM
Lacey Wulfe
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sound clips

Originally Posted by VetteLT4
didn't happen to take any before and after sound clips did you?
Unfortunately I don't have the corsa but here are my before and after with the borla

Not sure a video can do it justice but there you go.

Heads up, my borla didn't align on its own. Tried to do the install myself but the pipe just didn't line up so I had to take it to a shop. I know this isn't always the case though and I have no regrets.

Last edited by Lacey Wulfe; 01-30-2017 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:05 AM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

Looks like JBA makes a 3" X-Pipe. PN# 36823SX w/o cats #jba 36823SXC with cats.

I would have gone this route if I knew about this.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:35 AM
marine_142
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Opinions:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N66WM7E...I247MNIENRP58C
Old 01-26-2017, 09:37 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,710 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Originally Posted by marine_142
The price is right. This is the same Chinese one that is being sold under multiple brands, on eBay, etc. I've heard of a few guys buying them, but have yet to get feedback on fitment and install. If you are wanting an X-pipe for increased sound I would not suggest one with dual resonators. Power wise, I'm sure it has similar results as the name brands. Regarding weight, I'm sure it uses a thinner walled steel so it will likely weigh closer to the Borla even though it's 3" like the Corsa.

Last edited by Kracka; 01-26-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:18 PM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
whats with people making exhaust vids and letting it idle.
YEP that's why my corsa x-pipe exhaust vid is on the track!!!!

The following 3 users liked this post by 360Lemans:
Jedi-Jurist (06-14-2017), snow (02-03-2017), Yourconfused (12-09-2018)
Old 02-03-2017, 11:05 AM
snow
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '17-'18-'19

^^Great video!
The following users liked this post:
360Lemans (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 04:07 PM
Eff A Ford
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 138 Posts

Would I get the same result if I were to have a shop cut out the secondary cats and replace with a straight pipe?
Old 02-09-2017, 04:12 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

In theory, yes, it would be very similar at least.
bigsapper (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 04:44 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

There's someone in the parts for sale that has the factory y-pipe with the cats knocked out internally. If I didn't have a Borla in my garage, I would have snatched it up.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:35 PM
C7s
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 127 Posts

Anyone measure the OD of the stock X-pipe? It looks larger than the Borla 2.75" and was wondering if its dual walled or insulated to reduce heat in the tunnel of the cabin.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:50 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

OEM piping is typically thicker and heavier than aftermarket. It's nothing fancy though, just regular stainless steel pipe.

Last edited by Kracka; 03-19-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:09 PM
xxaarraa
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

Hey guys,

I just added the Borla x-pipe and wanted to share my experiences and learnings.
  • Don't underestimate the install. It's straightforward on paper, and the "cute ginger" video way over simplifies it. It's time consuming, especially on your back. That video doesn't give you any of the bolt sizes either - you'll need sockets for 13, 15 and 18 along with a few extensions of various sizes.
  • There are an insanely high number of bolts with LOTS of threads on the tunnel plates (all 13 mm, two are 15 mm). No idea why Chevy thinks the tunnel plate needs to be locked down so tight, where the hell is it going? Anyway, make sure you start the job with a right angle impact or right angle drill with a nut driver. My drill and nut driver combo wouldn't work since there wasn't any room/clearance. Trust me, when your on your back on your driveway, this will cut your time in half or more.
  • There are also a couple of 18 mm bolts. So make sure you have 13, 15 and 18 ready to go along with extensions of various sizes. Again, right angle impact is absolutely important to make your life easier.
  • The borla pipe does NOT come with new gaskets (front) or a new rubber isolator (rear). I can sort of see why they don't ship another isolator as the stock one is easy to reuse, but not sure I understand why they don't send you new donut gaskets. Depending on how many miles you have on your stock pipe, the donut gaskets may not be in great shape to be reused. I'd recommend everyone buy a couple of new gaskets before taking on this job to be on the safe side.
  • Pay attention to the clamps between the borla x-pipe and stock muffler and how you mount them. I had them tucked way up and it was making contact with a heat shield and causing a rattle.
  • The borla x-pipe seems to be an inch or two shorter than the stock x-pipe. You'll likely notice the borla doesn't cover as much of the muffler pipe openings as the stock pipe did.

Here's my driving impressions after the borla x-pipe (60547) install:
  • Any power differences are minimal / not noticeable.
  • The sound difference is noticeable, but subtle, and mostly noticeable in higher revs only.
  • The biggest kicker for me, and unintended benefit is that it seems to make the car easier to rev / freer up and down the rev range. That changes the whole driving experience for me (positively), as I find this Chevy motor to be lazy and slow to rev. This alone makes this money well spent in my book.
  • No CEL or other warnings since secondary cats are not monitored (obvious I know, but just sharing) and when the tunnel plate is back on, everything looks very stock.

All in all, it took me a good 3 hours jacking up the car, crawling on my back in the driveway and working with hand tools only. If I did this again knowing what I know now, I could probably do it in 90 minutes. Or if I had a lift and wasn't crawling on the floor like a poor person, I could do it in 60 minutes or under. Someday...

Last edited by xxaarraa; 03-27-2017 at 02:16 PM.
alexsoo (03-29-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 02:14 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Upon getting the car in the air and seeing that many bolts on the tunnel plate, and without an electric impact, the entire project would have been put on hold until I drove to the local Home Depot and purchased the following!!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE...1890/206736695

It would have been the best $130 you could have spent! I think I could do the entire x-pipe in about 30 minutes at this point (assuming the slip end of the pipes don't try to stick together.)

Last edited by fleming23; 03-27-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:17 PM
xxaarraa
Racer

Originally Posted by fleming23
Upon getting the car in the air and seeing that many bolts on the tunnel plate, and without an electric impact, the entire project would have been put on hold until I drove to the local Home Depot and purchased the following!!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE...1890/206736695

It would have been the best $130 you could have spent! I think I could do the entire x-pipe in about 30 minutes at this point (assuming the slip end of the pipes don't try to stick together.)
That will only work for folks with a lift! You need a right angle impact if you want to do the install with car on jack stands.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:37 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

The tunnel plate doubles as a chassis brace which is why it has so many bolts.
xxaarraa (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 03:10 PM
Lacey Wulfe
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you by chance have a fit issue, my pipe was about a half inch off (width wise)

and had to get it done by a shop (im not the hulk although i did try to muscle it)

But we only realized that after everything was off and done. we had already gotten as far as atteching the new pipe at one end
We just pulled the donuts off the old one and it worked fine
we also used jack stands which i think got us a lot more clearance, Enough to use an electric impact anyway.

I also thought it sounded great, (see my video several posts up) Especially on a cold start in loud mode... mmmm

Last edited by Lacey Wulfe; 03-27-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:53 PM
xxaarraa
Racer

Originally Posted by Lacey Wulfe
Did you by chance have a fit issue, my pipe was about a half inch off (width wise)

and had to get it done by a shop (im not the hulk although i did try to muscle it)

But we only realized that after everything was off and done. we had already gotten as far as atteching the new pipe at one end
we also used jack stands which i think got us a lot more clearance, Enough to use an electric impact anyway.

I also thought it sounded great, (see my video several posts up) Especially on a cold start in loud mode... mmmm
Man sorry to hear that. I had no fit issues except for the borla being a bit short on the muffler end. Everything went together easily.

Get notified of new replies

To X-pipes: stock vs. Borla vs. Corsa

Old 03-27-2017, 07:23 PM
The_Gretz
Pro

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

I recently installed the Corsa x-pipe. I used the 12 inch race ramp cradles. So I had more than a foot of clearance between the ground and myself. Also I agree with using an electric tool, like a drill, to make removing the large number of bolts easier. I bought a 3/8 inch adapter so that I could use sockets with my DeWalt drill. If I had less clearance that might not have been the best tool, but since I had so much clearance it was no problem at all. I simply used a standard ratchet to loosen the bolts and used the drill to accelerate the removal afterward.

Make sure you have a torque wrench and know the torque values for all of the bolts. The Corsa instructions included all values except for the tunnel bolts which I found on a sticky on this forum.

The most difficult part for me was separating the stock X pipe and the cat back system. After loosening the clamps, it took me and a buddy both underneath the car holding on to the rear section, with our feet on the stock X pipe pushing them to try to separate them. Even then it took about 5 to 10 minutes of effort. If the car were on jackstands I'm not sure I would have been confident enough to do this. But since the car was on the race ramp cradles it felt seriously stable.

Also I went ahead and bought a grommet puller for $20 because I knew that it would make the job easier. Plus I know that some friends are going to be doing exhaust work in the future and they can also use it. It made grommet removal easy.

Lastly my impressions of the result: the exhaust is noticeably louder across the board, although not necessarily "better", just more "different". Others have said that the Corsa sounds "smoother" and I would agree with that. The raspiness is actually a bit reduced and I wish that were not the case. But on The other hand the high rpm sound is awesome. It definitely sounds a bit more like a high-performance car, like an F1, and less like a truck or standard muscle car. If you are a fan of more exotic cars, you will probably like the sound of the Corsa x-pipe better than the stock sound. If you like the traditional muscle car sound you might want to go with the Borla and/or a full cat back system. At this point I am not really sure what I will do down the road. I could see myself adding headers and replacing the whole system in a few years, but this sounds really good for now.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:13 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by 360Lemans
YEP that's why my corsa x-pipe exhaust vid is on the track!!!!
Nice video. It certainly makes me want to bury the gas pedal & go like hell. Now I just need a car that can do so.

Last edited by Oneslackr; 05-05-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:20 AM
jimxms
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Lacey Wulfe

I had a similar problem yesterday when I installed mine. However my one was about 1/4 inch too close together at the other end of the pipe.

I managed to use a wrench to lever the two pipes apart for long enough to get the 4 bolts in and start tightening them in turn, which sorted the alignment out.

My install took about 2hrs with Race Ramps at the back and axle stands at the front.

I used a full sized DeWalt impact gun to unbolt everything. I cant imagine how much my arm would have hurt after manually wrenching every one of those bolts otherwise!

At startup from cold, the car is a lot louder. It lets out an almighty pop (which actually scared a few kids at my daughters school yesterday). Driving around normally I wouldn't say it is any louder in the cabin at least. When you get on the throttle I would say it is maybe 15-20% louder.

Quick Reply: X-pipes: stock vs. Borla vs. Corsa