C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Z51 Corvette Stingray HP...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 03:40 PM
Z51VetteDriver
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2015 Z51 Corvette Stingray HP...

Hello all...

Some info I thought I'd share and to see what you think.

I recently purchased a 2015 LT2 Z51 'Vette Stingray.
The other day I was at the dealership where I bought it and ran into a representative from the Vette factory from Bowling Green, KY. We started talking and the subject came up about horse power. I said 460HP was really nice. He kinda grinned and said that the HP, especially on the newer Vetts, 2014-2015, is "very" conservatively rated.
He said they are more around 500HP. He said they have them on the dyno there and test some of them.
I asked why they are rated below what they really are, and he didn't really elaborate.
He kinda avoided the answer.

Has anyone heard of this also, and if so, why are they rated conservatively?

Cheers!!!
Old 01-12-2015, 04:54 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

They are spot on their rating. Ask him how many LT1's he has removed from the car and strapped to an engine dyno. NONE.

He is trying to back calculate engine power based on chassis dyno results and chassis dynos vary wildly.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:05 PM
gx man
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock C7's has consistently dyno 400rwhp. Using a 13% drivetrain loss, that makes it right at 460hp.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:42 PM
Z51VetteDriver
Intermediate

Could he have possibly been talking about the HP at the motor?
Old 01-12-2015, 06:58 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by Z51VetteDriver
Could he have possibly been talking about the HP at the motor?
yes he was, but they are SAE rated at 460 and based on what they make on a chassis dyno that is correct. saying they make 500 is blowing smoke.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:09 PM
Z51VetteDriver
Intermediate

Thanks everybody for clearing this up for me. Next time I see him, IF I do, I will give him a mouth full! LOL!!!

Even at 460HP, in second gear automatic in "manual" mode, and I punch it, I still can't keep the back end from breaking loose! LOL!!!
I LOVE IT!!!!

Old 01-12-2015, 11:17 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Thanks everybody for clearing this up for me. Next time I see him, IF I do, I will give him a mouth full! LOL!!!

Even at 460HP, in second gear automatic in "manual" mode, and I punch it, I still can't keep the back end from breaking loose! LOL!!!
I LOVE IT!!!!

I agree with everyone else---The base brake HP is very spot on at 460
Wait until you get your car tuned !!!! You think it's responsive now ?
But the stock tune does not allow the ENG to make max HP all the time -One example of the TQ management system is even if you mash the gas to the floor--the stock tune does not allow the throttle blade to go wide open until it reaches approx. 3200-3400 RPM's--There are several other tables that limit max TQ---A tune will allow the engine to make the max power it can---all the time---
Old 01-13-2015, 11:25 AM
Z51VetteDriver
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tblu92
I agree with everyone else---The base brake HP is very spot on at 460
Wait until you get your car tuned !!!! You think it's responsive now ?
But the stock tune does not allow the ENG to make max HP all the time -One example of the TQ management system is even if you mash the gas to the floor--the stock tune does not allow the throttle blade to go wide open until it reaches approx. 3200-3400 RPM's--There are several other tables that limit max TQ---A tune will allow the engine to make the max power it can---all the time---

That is very nice to know as I had no idea about this "tune".
Would my dealership where I bought it be able to perform this tune, or would I have to take it to a third party for this "tune"?

Thanks again!
Old 01-13-2015, 05:38 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

That is very nice to know as I had no idea about this "tune".
Would my dealership where I bought it be able to perform this tune, or would I have to take it to a third party for this "tune"?

Thanks again!
here's my recommendation for where you are:

http://www.shortuning.com/
Old 01-15-2015, 05:22 AM
SC-121
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm installing headers and exhaust this weekend and was asked if I wanted dyno tune. He shared that tune would void warranty though. They've had customers that were denied coverage if it was engine related issue. Is that correct?
Old 01-15-2015, 11:22 AM
Z51VetteDriver
Intermediate

I did some checking. I called my dealership and YES!!! My extended warranty, 6 years, WILL be voided if any of these TQ management adjustments are made. Or anything else related to it.
The tech also said they are NOT needed! Just put the car in "Track" mode.
This is a magnificent machine and I am sure if these adjustments were necessary, Corvette would have thought of this at the factory.
If they didn't, I'm sure they had their reasons.

As far as I'm concerned, this Vette is just great the way it is!
Old 01-15-2015, 12:17 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

I did some checking. I called my dealership and YES!!! My extended warranty, 6 years, WILL be voided if any of these TQ management adjustments are made. Or anything else related to it.
The tech also said they are NOT needed! Just put the car in "Track" mode.
This is a magnificent machine and I am sure if these adjustments were necessary, Corvette would have thought of this at the factory.
If they didn't, I'm sure they had their reasons.

As far as I'm concerned, this Vette is just great the way it is!
Track mode is not even close to the same thing as a tune....most techs do not know much more than what the manual says on how to repair a car. They are not all knowing gurus, especially when it comes to modification and even more so when it comes to telling a customer something that could easily become litigious.....

"Needed" is a very relative term. A tune literally transforms the car.

You could get a refund on your extended warranty and enjoy your car modified or you could leave your car stock and enjoy driving it around. Both are valid ways to use your car and neither should be criticized or judged. Modification isn't for everyone.

And if you tune your car or change a part on your car the warranty is not "voided." What could happen is if you go out and over-rev your engine and blow your motor GM has grounds to deny the claim (even though they probably would anyways based on user error and not a defect in materials or workmanship). The real tragedy would be tuning your ECM days before your poorly made engine was about to self destruct on it's own).

If you feel like your engine is in good shape and good health and has no loose screws, there is nothing wrong with getting a tune.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:44 AM
Z51VetteDriver
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson

You could get a refund on your extended warranty and enjoy your car modified

And if you tune your car or change a part on your car the warranty is not "voided."

If you're suggesting I get a refund and drive my Vette without a warranty just so I can get a tune-up, with all due respect that will NOT happen! LOL!!!

And as far as the warranty...
As a retiree from General Motors, I have phone numbers I can call to find out important information pertaining to this.
I called several numbers at Chevrolet and they confirmed it. Not just the dealer.

Any computer work altering the performance of the engine from third parties WILL void the warranty!!!

So, believe this or not, if anyone out there is considering this, you might want to keep this in mind.
I for one will not take the chance of voiding my 6 year extended warranty.
IMO, it just isn't worth it. But that's just me.
Maybe after the warranty has expired then I "might" check into getting a tune-up.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:22 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

If you're suggesting I get a refund and drive my Vette without a warranty just so I can get a tune-up, with all due respect that will NOT happen! LOL!!!

And as far as the warranty...
As a retiree from General Motors, I have phone numbers I can call to find out important information pertaining to this.
I called several numbers at Chevrolet and they confirmed it. Not just the dealer.

Any computer work altering the performance of the engine from third parties WILL void the warranty!!!

So, believe this or not, if anyone out there is considering this, you might want to keep this in mind.
I for one will not take the chance of voiding my 6 year extended warranty.
IMO, it just isn't worth it. But that's just me.
Maybe after the warranty has expired then I "might" check into getting a tune-up.

That was the point of my post. You either want to drive the car under warranty and stock or you want to drive the car modified and potentially no warranty reimbursement for a powertrain related problem.

The real question is, what kind of jerk would expect GM to warranty a modified vehicle? Isn't it common sense that if you change the product it will probably not be covered if you mess it up? If you install an aftermarket radio does one expect the car company to pay for repairs if it breaks?
Old 01-17-2015, 11:17 AM
Z51VetteDriver
Intermediate

That was the point of my post. You either want to drive the car under warranty and stock or you want to drive the car modified and potentially no warranty reimbursement for a powertrain related problem.

The real question is, what kind of jerk would expect GM to warranty a modified vehicle? Isn't it common sense that if you change the product it will probably not be covered if you mess it up? If you install an aftermarket radio does one expect the car company to pay for repairs if it breaks?
LOL!!! Ok. I was just curious about your statement in one of the other posts above about the warranty NOT being voided:

"And if you tune your car or change a part on your car the warranty is not "voided."

Anyway, whatever. I'm done here.

Thanks to everybody else for your intuitive information.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:20 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

LOL!!! Ok. I was just curious about your statement in one of the other posts above about the warranty NOT being voided:

"And if you tune your car or change a part on your car the warranty is not "voided."

Anyway, whatever. I'm done here.

Thanks to everybody else for your intuitive information.

That is a matter of definition. It is illegal for a car company to "void" your warranty. They can only deny your warranty claim....there is a difference; it's a matter of legality and what happens in court. Using the term "voided" is simpler and more easily understood by most as the connotation is much stronger.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:57 PM
Z51VetteDriver
Intermediate

That is a matter of definition. It is illegal for a car company to "void" your warranty. They can only deny your warranty claim....there is a difference; it's a matter of legality and what happens in court. Using the term "voided" is simpler and more easily understood by most as the connotation is much stronger.

You're splitting hairs!!!

Either way, THE WARRANTY WILL NOT BE COVERED!!! PERIOD!!!

As I mentioned, I am done here and I will have no further responses.
This has been beat to death!!!
Old 01-17-2015, 01:47 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

You're splitting hairs!!!

Either way, THE WARRANTY WILL NOT BE COVERED!!! PERIOD!!!

As I mentioned, I am done here and I will have no further responses.
This has been beat to death!!!
It's not splitting hairs when you're in court.

I used to deny warranty claims in a past job....among other things.

Get notified of new replies

To 2015 Z51 Corvette Stingray HP...

Quick Reply: 2015 Z51 Corvette Stingray HP...