C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory offers tune without loss of warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 09:57 AM
Hot Rod Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Factory offers tune without loss of warranty

That's right, but it's not GM, it's from FORD. As mentioned in the Motor Trend article linked below, Ford is providing a performance tune option for it's Eco-boost powered cars, and if installed by the dealer it does not void the factory warranty! I'll admit, I am a Chevy guy all the way (my new Z06 gets built next week) but this is the kind of thinking that seems far from anything GM would do.

Come on GM, lets see some performance options out of you that doesn't void the warranty. Do some engineering testing and pick up some of the money that goes into aftermarkets hands. Harley Davidson figured it out, and made a killing. Now Ford is stepping up making them look like a company that has the performance image. I'm not holding my breath. It's likely I'll have to wait until the Warranty is up before thinking about any significant performance mods for my Z06.

http://wot.motortrend.com/1412_ford_...4_engines.html
Old 01-16-2015, 09:59 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,712 Likes on 2,919 Posts

It's genius really! It's basically just a marked-up Diablo InTune or Cobb Accessport with staged upgrades and [reduced] warranty coverage; definitively worth the extra few bucks. I'm looking forward to see how the three compare on an otherwise stock vehicle. Here's my guess in terms of power output:
#1: Cobb
#2: Diablo
#3: Ford (safe bet to say theirs will be the most conservative)

Last edited by Kracka; 01-16-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:05 AM
Russodiablosport
Supporting Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Todd
That's right, but it's not GM, it's from FORD. As mentioned in the Motor Trend article linked below, Ford is providing a performance tune option for it's Eco-boost powered cars, and if installed by the dealer it does not void the factory warranty! I'll admit, I am a Chevy guy all the way (my new Z06 gets built next week) but this is the kind of thinking that seems far from anything GM would do.

Come on GM, lets see some performance options out of you that doesn't void the warranty. Do some engineering testing and pick up some of the money that goes into aftermarkets hands. Harley Davidson figured it out, and made a killing. Now Ford is stepping up making them look like a company that has the performance image. I'm not holding my breath. It's likely I'll have to wait until the Warranty is up before thinking about any significant performance mods for my Z06.

http://wot.motortrend.com/1412_ford_...4_engines.html
Ford has offered their Pro-cal for years now this is nothing new. It is still very limited in features and adjustments.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:15 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Like Diablo said, nothing new. Ford has been doing that since ~2007ish. Same with all the other nice Ford Racing parts they make. Upgraded axles, rear ends, exhaust, intakes, etc. They really support the enthusiast. That being said, the ford racing parts are generally just aftermarket stuff, rebadged and marked up, so you are just paying extra for the ford name and warranty part.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:17 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,712 Likes on 2,919 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
That being said, the ford racing parts are generally just aftermarket stuff, rebadged and marked up, so you are just paying extra for the ford name and warranty part.
Ha, typical. Subaru does the same thing with their SPT parts (Exedy clutches, Eibach lowering springs, etc.).
Old 01-16-2015, 10:43 AM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

GM did this with the Solstice and Cobalt I believe.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:50 AM
Hot Rod Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm sure it's more likely to be offered on vehicles that are not near the limit of performance stock. There is plenty of overhead to bump the performance without causing undue stress on the powertrain.

It's less likely we'd see these types of Factory performance upgrades on the high end vehicles, such as Corvettes, GT350, Hellcat etc.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:29 AM
Jason 98 TA
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Remeber the Diablo sport can return a ecm to stock. Texas Speed tunes can be installed and removed if needed!!
Old 01-16-2015, 11:44 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Todd
I'm sure it's more likely to be offered on vehicles that are not near the limit of performance stock. There is plenty of overhead to bump the performance without causing undue stress on the powertrain.

It's less likely we'd see these types of Factory performance upgrades on the high end vehicles, such as Corvettes, GT350, Hellcat etc.
Ford will do the same as always. They had them for last gen GT500/etc so new ones will be no different.

The Ford Racing axles are just Gforce Axles
Catbacks are Borla typically
Blower kits are just whipples with ford racing logo, etc.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:36 PM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Ford will do the same as always. They had them for last gen GT500/etc so new ones will be no different.

The Ford Racing axles are just Gforce Axles
Catbacks are Borla typically
Blower kits are just whipples with ford racing logo, etc.
BMW and Dinan, do this as well, but they actually engineer the products largely and don't resell other people's equipment.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:41 PM
OLD_GOAT
Drifting

Received 396 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Russodiablosport
Ford has offered their Pro-cal for years now this is nothing new. It is still very limited in features and adjustments.
Yep. I bought a Pro-Cal for my 2013 Mustang GT automatic and noticed nothing. Not even a 'seat of the pants' feeling. I wanted my money back and the time wasted back.

Now, in all fairness, I also owned a 2013 Mustang GT manual and noticed a bit of difference. About .2 quicker in the quarter mile.

If you read the ad for the Pro-Cal that was in the Ford Performance catalog, it mentioned how great it was removing torque management, etc. This led me to believe that for the auto it would do wonders. All it proved to me is that Ford had some graduate from some highly rated university doing it's ads. All style, very little substance.

Either way, I'll go with the Diablo vs. anything similar to the Ford Pro-Cal that Chevy or GM could market.

Last edited by OLD_GOAT; 01-21-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:37 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

easy money grab for gm but they are too ***** to do this
Old 01-17-2015, 02:07 AM
imxz28
Drifting

Received 455 Likes on 174 Posts

I don't think GM will offer a tune. Don't you think they spent 1,000's of hours perfecting the tune. They could be leaving some room on the table to boost HP and sales in future year models. It's been standard practice.

BTW, If you blow your engine and have a tune on it. Good luck thinking you can erase it and file a warrantee claim... There is a footprint left behind in the firmware that is traceable. Not trying to spook, just keeping it real.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:26 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,212 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by imxz28
I don't think GM will offer a tune. Don't you think they spent 1,000's of hours perfecting the tune. They could be leaving some room on the table to boost HP and sales in future year models. It's been standard practice.

BTW, If you blow your engine and have a tune on it. Good luck thinking you can erase it and file a warrantee claim... There is a footprint left behind in the firmware that is traceable. Not trying to spook, just keeping it real.
No I don't. They've neutered the c7 with throttle management...
Old 01-18-2015, 12:48 PM
imxz28
Drifting

Received 455 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
No I don't. They've neutered the c7 with throttle management...
I get what you're saying. Let me rephrase... Corvette worked hard to get the tune where THEY want it for whatever the reason(s). These engineers are quite sharp! I'd venture to say their weakest man is equal to some of the best tuners in the free world. But don't get bogged down on that concept... The point is, there is a method to their madness and I doubt we will ever see a factory tune option that compromises their goals.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:15 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by imxz28
I get what you're saying. Let me rephrase... Corvette worked hard to get the tune where THEY want it for whatever the reason(s). These engineers are quite sharp! I'd venture to say their weakest man is equal to some of the best tuners in the free world. But don't get bogged down on that concept... The point is, there is a method to their madness and I doubt we will ever see a factory tune option that compromises their goals.
the engineers worked hard to get the tune where the bean counters want it, i think you mean.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:43 PM
C7DriverOnt
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Yes GM offered a tune for Solstice/Saturn/Cobalt with turbo. It was about $900 and provided a additional 40 hp approx.

Get notified of new replies

To Factory offers tune without loss of warranty

Old 01-22-2015, 05:05 AM
l888apex
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Um, ok. So they gave the car less HP than safely was available, and charge more to update the tune to the properly optimized calibration? Awesome deal!
Old 01-22-2015, 10:30 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by l888apex
Um, ok. So they gave the car less HP than safely was available, and charge more to update the tune to the properly optimized calibration? Awesome deal!
The turbo engine lend themselves more to this kind of thing from what I see. If you can always use 93 or higher octane gas a tune will achieve great results. My DD is a focus ST that I have a cobb tuner but the tune is from a 3rd party. I have a 93 octane and an E30 tune. The difference from stock and the E30 tune is amazing. Because I went this route if I had an issue I'd remove the tune before bringing the car in as yes this version could void the warranty if they could prove the tune caused the failure.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:13 PM
l888apex
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
The turbo engine lend themselves more to this kind of thing from what I see. If you can always use 93 or higher octane gas a tune will achieve great results. My DD is a focus ST that I have a cobb tuner but the tune is from a 3rd party. I have a 93 octane and an E30 tune. The difference from stock and the E30 tune is amazing. Because I went this route if I had an issue I'd remove the tune before bringing the car in as yes this version could void the warranty if they could prove the tune caused the failure.
What you are talking about is different. Going to an aftermarket tuner who will push beyond factory limits, especially with alternate fuel, is not the same as an OEM company selling a "performance kit" type of upgrade. I work for a car brand which sells a product like this. The irony has always struck me; if they feel comfortable warrantying the tune, why not just give it that much power in first place? Just an up sell tactic.

Quick Reply: Factory offers tune without loss of warranty