C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SuperCharger Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 06:40 AM
cajunboyz
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Default SuperCharger Question

Question , For a C7 automatic, Daily driver(To drive cross country)PUMP GAS, Are the superchargers ECS or Pro Charger or whomever(550-570RWHP) VERY reliable,meaning to even do a near top end pull once in a while? Not talking about track use, Just to run her up on the pump gas tune now & then(not back to back runs) & be RELIABLE as to not have a melt down?
Old 01-31-2015, 06:54 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Tune for safety, add meth for safety and carry a couple cans of Torco for those 91 octane states. There's not much more you can do to assure maximum reliability with FI. Probably don't need the Torco with meth but it's just another layer.

That's my plan anyways when ECS does my car sometime in the not too distant future.

Just my $.02
Old 01-31-2015, 07:12 AM
cajunboyz
Pro

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Tune for safety, add meth for safety and carry a couple cans of Torco for those 91 octane states. There's not much more you can do to assure maximum reliability with FI. Probably don't need the Torco with meth but it's just another layer.

That's my plan anyways when ECS does my car sometime in the not too distant future.

Just my $.02
What Torco additive? what does it do, otane addiive? Can per tank?
Old 01-31-2015, 07:50 AM
77vette05
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a C6 with 8000 miles on my A+A supercharger kit. Not one issue with system, belt, brackets etc...... A lot testing goes into these kits before sale to the public. A meth kit will insure safety for your motor. The meth kit only turns on at wot. The meth does last some time, but with you going across the country you might run out? It is very easy to find meth at tracks, speed shops, and some gas stations. You could have it tuned without meth for the cross country trip. Have it installed when you get back, and run 100% meth. Do not run windshield washer fluid for replacement of meth. Every top builder runs straight meth for a reason. Another thing to consider if you run the self contained oiled supercharger, the oil has to be changed around 2500 miles. You might hit that mark fast on a cross country drive. It is very easy to change the oil on these. After the break in it needs to be changed every 7500 miles. Even with the reliability of the S/C there's always the risk of something breaking in the car. My trans went after 4000 miles. When you add 200+ horse to a car designed for 460 horse, breaking parts is always in the equation. One thing I would add would be a transmission cooler.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:49 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,713 Likes on 2,920 Posts

Procharger includes a handheld tuner and tune that is designed to be safe on even 91-octane. Check out some of their track testing tech articles.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:20 PM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,228 Likes on 775 Posts

We use the Ecs kit a lot here at cpr. I'm not a fan of the procharger kit ad the bracket design, charge pipe being all silicone, and a few other misc items. Leaves something to be desired. If you want to go over all the options, answer questions, etc. Feel free to contact us. 480-359-5914, joe@cordesperformanceracing.com
Old 02-02-2015, 11:00 AM
Randy WS6
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the A&A S/C with the Alky Meth installed , but not tuned yet for the meth, So im not running the meth right now(power off). Im getting it tuned for the meth kit shortly. So what my plans are doing is, I have the EFI Live V2 tuner, and ill have 2 tunes . The one I have now with out meth and one with meth, so if for some season I run out of meth and cant fine it, ill install the tune with out meth.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:33 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Yes, and no need for meth/torco or anything like that. While that is nice, definitely not needed as long as you have a decent tuner that doesn't tune it to the edge.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:05 PM
Andy@A&ACorvette
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 202 Likes on 125 Posts

We very rarely use Meth Injection or Torco.
It's really only if you're trying to push the limits of the stock engine.
I think I've done maybe 5 Meth kits out of over 400 supercharger kits in the last year.

A&A CORVETTE
477 LAMBERT ST
OXNARD CA 93036
WWW.AACorvette.com

A&A CORVETTE SUPERCHARGER SYSTEMS
HOME OF THE WORLDS FIRST
CENTRIFUGALLY SUPERCHARGED C7

SUPERIOR ENGINEERING- SUPERIOR POWER
SUPERIOR PRICING- SUPERIOR CUSTOMER SUPPORT

Andy@AACorvette.com 805- 278 4107
Old 02-02-2015, 12:11 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy@AandASuperchargers
I think I've done maybe 5 Meth kits out of over 400 supercharger kits in the last year.
Thanks Andy, good info. Was wondering if I should add meth to my particular SC setup with all the recent posts on this. I'm not pushing the limits, so I'll join the other 395 of your installations that do not run meth.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:21 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Doesn't the car drive pretty much stock at light throttle? For the most part driving cross country you will be cruising at 72 in overdrive turning 1100-1300 rpm. Supercharger will be free-wheeling.

Or am I misunderstanding how this works?
Old 02-02-2015, 12:29 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

That is exactly how it works (besides free wheeling, it is actually just bypassing the air out the BOV). Car drives like stock when not on it.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:51 PM
Randy WS6
Racer

Originally Posted by jedblanks
Doesn't the car drive pretty much stock at light throttle? For the most part driving cross country you will be cruising at 72 in overdrive turning 1100-1300 rpm. Supercharger will be free-wheeling.

Or am I misunderstanding how this works?

Mine drives lke stock, went to FL. from KY and could not tell it had a S/C on it, except when I went to pass a car, As long as the engine is pulling Vacuum you are not in boost. I installed a vac / boost gauge to tell me. Went the engine is pulling VAC. the BOV is open (no boost)

Last edited by Randy WS6; 02-02-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:23 PM
Randy WS6
Racer

The way I understand it ,is when the engine is pulling vacuum , the cylinders are needing more air than the throttle blade will allow, so it try's to get air were it can (vacuum ports)(blow off valve is open, no boost) and when the blade is wide open the cylinders are getting the air it needs so (no vacuum) witch lets the blow off valve close and the S/C take over ,(causing boost)
Old 02-03-2015, 06:51 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy@AandASuperchargers
Thanks Andy,

You've resolved something that has been on my mind for a while as I go FI for the first time.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:10 PM
cajunboyz
Pro

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Thanks Andy,

You've resolved something that has been on my mind for a while as I go FI for the first time.
Thanks Andy for the explanation, On your conservative tune, NOT pushing it to the edge, What RWHP are youll getting to the wheels of a C-7
Old 02-03-2015, 05:16 PM
Jerry Lee
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Boost gauge mounting

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
Mine drives lke stock, went to FL. from KY and could not tell it had a S/C on it, except when I went to pass a car, As long as the engine is pulling Vacuum you are not in boost. I installed a vac / boost gauge to tell me. Went the engine is pulling VAC. the BOV is open (no boost)
Can you tell me where you mounted your boos gauge, please.

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To SuperCharger Question

Old 02-03-2015, 06:33 PM
Andy@A&ACorvette
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 202 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by cajunboyz
Thanks Andy for the explanation, On your conservative tune, NOT pushing it to the edge, What RWHP are youll getting to the wheels of a C-7
On 91 Octane (big disadvantage) we usually get about 580 for a stick and 560 for an automatic.
I just looked at about ten cars on my dyno and they were mostly within plus or minus 5 of those numbers.
We had some with Torco to bump the Octane and they were all in the low 600s.
With headers we saw about 20 more.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:11 PM
Randy WS6
Racer

[QUOTE=drjstrimbu;1588876775]Can you tell me where you mounted your boos gauge, please.

Thanks[/QUOTE)

I made me a 3 gauge pillar pod and covered it in black suede , I have the upper suede trim package . I have the PLX duel WB's & PLX VAC/BOOST gauge
Old 02-03-2015, 08:47 PM
Blown-C7
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a ECS 1500 on mine and now have a 2200R. These cars suffer on the top end...heat soak badly. I have experimented as much, or more than probably anyone on here, and no answer for that other than a progressive methanol system. Wanted to add water ports to the heads, but Greg Goode did mine and said could not add due to wall thickness...spray more up top. I did not have any problems with the blower setup when was at the level you are talking about...no worries there.

IMPORTANT NOTE...make sure you get a crankcase ventilation system for the car. D3 sells a good one. These cars come with no real way to help with crankcase pressure....if not, you will probably blow a front seal.

Last edited by Blown-C7; 02-03-2015 at 08:52 PM.

Quick Reply: SuperCharger Question