C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So...you don't feel a Catch Can is necessary in a Wet Sump car?!? Check this out

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 10:19 PM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
If you are looking at me for a recommendation I would simply state that your cat is an OEM emissions compliant device, and if you require said devices on your vehicle, then perhaps it would be best to leave ALL such devices (including OEM pcv systems) alone, period. If you are attempting to modify your OEM emissions devices (by using catch cans, check valves, extended plumbing, oil accumulators etc...) then the catalytic converter is simply one more of those devices for you to modify/remove, since you have intended to do so already. I believe one of the things they do is facilitate the finishing of combustion of hydrocarbon molecules, and if you look at OEM pcv this also seems to attempt to have the same effect.

Originally Posted by coSPEED2

Really impressed with your understanding Mike! The only obstacle in direct to exhaust evacuation is the Venturi effect will not work at a constant rate with any muffler or full exhaust and there is the issue. With an open header, a simple evac system works great. It would be so much better for all if they understood this as you do.

Props!!
Did you actually read the entire post? It was originally posted by kingtalon and reposted by mikelsx.

The kingtalon post is actually filled with claims followed by disclaimers, none of which bear any resemblance to an LT1!!
Old 10-04-2015, 11:57 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by vettetwo
Did you actually read the entire post? It was originally posted by kingtalon and reposted by mikelsx.

The kingtalon post is actually filled with claims followed by disclaimers, none of which bear any resemblance to an LT1!!

I felt smart for a second though.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:43 AM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

My error, should have given Kingtalon the credit. Where he was getting my praise was with ANY engine if the PCV system could be evacuated directly into the exhaust all of this would be a non-issue, but that cannot work with a street vehicle.

The LT1 is GDI just as all other current GDI engines on the market today, with all the same issues they all face.

And to clarify, anyone with a LT1, take the few minutes to remove your IM and take pictures, and show me the LT1 has no issue with severe intake valve coking.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:34 AM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

Because I am addressing every single 4-stroke gasoline internal combustion engine on the planet earth, which all operate based on similar principles. Removing air molecules from the crank case to the point of vacuum with respect to the atmospheric pressure will always increase power output to some extent, and evacuation of combustion byproduct molecules will always result with cleaner engine oil, and if those molecules are driven from the engine completely then you will also have a cleaner engine overall. Otherwise they are re-directed to the combustion chamber (as we have seen) where they might stick to surfaces along the way (the primary reason for the existance of this thread). I have provided a few simple examples to illustrate how we might address these issues, and provided solutions for adjusting pressure differentials on all running engines, regardless of street-use noise levels as an intention.

Last edited by Kingtal0n; 10-08-2015 at 02:36 AM.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:23 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n
Because I am addressing every single 4-stroke gasoline internal combustion engine on the planet earth, which all operate based on similar principles. Removing air molecules from the crank case to the point of vacuum with respect to the atmospheric pressure will always increase power output to some extent, and evacuation of combustion byproduct molecules will always result with cleaner engine oil, and if those molecules are driven from the engine completely then you will also have a cleaner engine overall. Otherwise they are re-directed to the combustion chamber (as we have seen) where they might stick to surfaces along the way (the primary reason for the existance of this thread). I have provided a few simple examples to illustrate how we might address these issues, and provided solutions for adjusting pressure differentials on all running engines, regardless of street-use noise levels as an intention.
And I am impressed with your understanding and ideas on this.....you have my respect sir!!!!

That is where all engines could benefit, but the GDI's of ALL automakers are battling this.

Quick Reply: So...you don't feel a Catch Can is necessary in a Wet Sump car?!? Check this out