C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So...you don't feel a Catch Can is necessary in a Wet Sump car?!? Check this out

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 09:21 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

One thing I mentioned earlier that I need to correct is I actually have the standard Elite can, not the E2 as I thought. Here is a link to the C7 specific instructions for the base model non-z51 that I used when installing it: http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/c...se_non-Z51.pdf
Old 02-05-2015, 10:06 PM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
One thing I mentioned earlier that I need to correct is I actually have the standard Elite can, not the E2 as I thought. Here is a link to the C7 specific instructions for the base model non-z51 that I used when installing it: http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/c...se_non-Z51.pdf
looks right to me!

I dunno brother. Not to be a downer, but if that was my car and from what i've seen on other threads and how much oil they accumulate, I'd be VERY curious wth is going on with my car. It's not like you can take it to the dealer either for that. THat is crazy amounts though. I wonder if overfill has anything to do with like others have said. I mean if you didn't check that thing, you'd be leaking oil from that thing all over the engine bay

I've also always wondered why GM wouldn't put this in there in the 1st place and run a hose back to the oil pan and bring the oil back in. Is it bad oil or something?
Old 02-05-2015, 10:27 PM
RedCarrot
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This could be related to poor bore precision that Andy at A&A had brought up is this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...st-a-tune.html

Engines that have lesser true bores will have more blow-by, more kunky stuff escaping from the engine. This is largely on a YMMV basis. That's why there are some people that are dead set on not needing a catch can based from their finding; and there are those that do. They are both right.

You might also want to check the chamber on the intake tube that have tubes routed from the valve covers. I suspect you could have a fair amount in there judging from how much is collected from the lower valley alone. Doing a compression test is not a bad idea for the sake of peace of mind if nothing else.

In my case, boost naturally worsen it. I have about the same amount collected in 7,000 mi.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:04 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I wonder the condition of the intake valves.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:18 AM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

also remember guys this is 6-7,000 miles of driving. completely believable to me.

the other two hoses going from valve covers to intake tubing.. do you see any evidence of oil from them.. that is actually the more popular spot, but seeing as you do not have the stock tubing with the pockets that fill up, maybe it gets sucked in or runs down to your filter.. or maybe you are one of the lucky ones.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:51 AM
Gadfly
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

You can buy that exact catch can for $100 on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300900896573
Old 02-06-2015, 11:13 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Either tonight or tomorrow im going to pull the throttle body and check the inside of the manifold with my boroscope. Should be able to take some color pics with it. I'll check the intake tube and filter as well and post what I find..
Old 02-06-2015, 11:40 AM
SharkGrayStingray
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadfly
You can buy that exact catch can for $100 on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300900896573
That is NOT an elite engineering catch can. The EE is very good. I just installed my E2 yesterday, but won't be driving for a while cause of weather.

PS This is exactly why GM won't put a catch can on their cars. What happens when people don't empty their can for 5-10K miles???? Not knocking you fyreant, just saying those that aren't knowledgeable on cars will forget to empty and problems and messes will be all over the place...
Old 02-06-2015, 12:31 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

x2 on ring seal issue esp on a new NA car

Totally unacceptable
Old 02-06-2015, 12:42 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

looks like the guys building strokers are indeed finding cylinders that are out of round....fyreant, you might have a poorly made block.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:49 PM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

And I thought these blocks were checked by computers with laser precision machines. At least on the YouTube video i watched lol
Old 02-06-2015, 02:58 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by 11B250
And I thought these blocks were checked by computers with laser precision machines. At least on the YouTube video i watched lol
maybe the laser is miscalibrated.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:38 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Oil ingestion via the PCV system is nothing new on any hi performance or racing engine---Because of large cams and such their is very little intake manifold vacuum --The manifold vacuum is used to create a positive crankcase ventilation system---The crankcase is full of oil vapor and mist caused by the spinning crankshaft and the "windage" crated by all the rotational mass
A stock V-8 engine normally has about 20" of vacuum at idle-Plenty enough to ventilate the crankcase---However a performance engine can have as little as 5" at idle
The latest trend in racing is to install a vacuum pump to manufacture vacuum back up to 20"---This not only cleans up the crankcase but has been proven to aid in ring seal and add HP
The LT1 engine is no different---It has low vacuum and because of emission laws the PCV system has to be vented into a captured closed system----This makes an already minimal system even worse
LSX engines are notorious for poor PVC systems--and the LT1 due to the DI engine VVT and DOD even worse---
The photos show how far away from the valve cover the vents are located in the air box----on the diver's side 12" and on the pass side 18"--This creates a major restriction on the VENTING side of the PCV system---Also the Pass side has a restrictor ball check on the valve cover fitting making it more restrictive yet
I installed the UPR catch can as shown and have vented BOTH sides of the valve covers with a filter venting them to atmosphere-- "0" restriction---A simple 5/8" filter---There is no blow by--no oil spray--no oil smell------
My T-Body and intake manifold are totally dry---Catch can fills up 1/2 way every 3k miles or so- No this is NOT smog legal- but simple to return to stock on smog day--Short of a vacuum pump--- " I think " this is a great option for the LT1--Works well for me !!
Attached Images    

Last edited by tblu92; 02-06-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:14 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by tblu92
Oil ingestion via the PCV system is nothing new on any hi performance or racing engine---Because of large cams and such their is very little intake manifold vacuum --The manifold vacuum is used to create a positive crankcase ventilation system---The crankcase is full of oil vapor and mist caused by the spinning crankshaft and the "windage" crated by all the rotational mass
A stock V-8 engine normally has about 20" of vacuum at idle-Plenty enough to ventilate the crankcase---However a performance engine can have as little as 5" at idle
The latest trend in racing is to install a vacuum pump to manufacture vacuum back up to 20"---This not only cleans up the crankcase but has been proven to aid in ring seal and add HP
The LT1 engine is no different---It has low vacuum and because of emission laws the PCV system has to be vented into a captured closed system----This makes an already minimal system even worse
LSX engines are notorious for poor PVC systems--and the LT1 due to the DI engine VVT and DOD even worse---
The photos show how far away from the valve cover the vents are located in the air box----on the diver's side 12" and on the pass side 18"--This creates a major restriction on the VENTING side of the PCV system---Also the Pass side has a restrictor ball check on the valve cover fitting making it more restrictive yet
I installed the UPR catch can as shown and have vented BOTH sides of the valve covers with a filter venting them to atmosphere-- "0" restriction---A simple 5/8" filter---There is no blow by--no oil spray--no oil smell------
My T-Body and intake manifold are totally dry---Catch can fills up 1/2 way every 3k miles or so- No this is NOT smog legal- but simple to return to stock on smog day--Short of a vacuum pump--- " I think " this is a great option for the LT1--Works well for me !!
you are introducing unmetered air into your engine and screwing up your fueling. this was a great idea in the late 90s and then with the early C5 days when we didn't know better.

if you put filters on your valve covers you need to plug all other pcv ports, you are just pulling air through the crankcase into your intake manifold from the filters. bad idea.

vacuum pump is a great idea, I ran www.gzmotorsports.com on my C5Z with great success but not one available yet for an LT1 since they need to mount on the opposite side.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:32 PM
77vette05
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
you are introducing unmetered air into your engine and screwing up your fueling. this was a great idea in the late 90s and then with the early C5 days when we didn't know better.

if you put filters on your valve covers you need to plug all other pcv ports, you are just pulling air through the crankcase into your intake manifold from the filters. bad idea.
I was told by a very reputable shop not to run valve cover breathers.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:09 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

so I started tearing into the engine today to see how bad the oil situation was and the intake manifold does NOT have puddles in it, but DOES have the entire inside of the manifold coated in a very thin coat of oil. It got me thinking that it may be a good idea to see how much is making its way to the heads/valves so I pulled the manifold and took a few iPhone pics of the intake ports on the heads. All ports and valves on both sides of the motor look like this. IMO, these valves are too gunked up for a new car with only 22k on it. What do you guys think?

Ant

Last edited by FYREANT; 02-07-2015 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:19 PM
123sugey
Dig
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 759 Likes on 515 Posts

The back side of the valves look terrible !!

Get notified of new replies

To So...you don't feel a Catch Can is necessary in a Wet Sump car?!? Check this out

Old 02-07-2015, 10:10 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

FYREANT - Your pictures are consistent with other C7 engines I've seen torn down, example below.

Granted the owner of this particular C7 may have taken his video before GM released their announcement about over-filling the engine oil, but note the beginning signs of the same condition you're seeing on the intake valves... and with only 5500 miles:

Don't forget to check for oil deposits inside the Mass Air Flow Sensor (shown here):

Thanks for posting your pictures. My Elite E2 system showed up today.

Last edited by Rave; 02-07-2015 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:26 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson

vacuum pump is a great idea, I ran www.gzmotorsports.com on my C5Z with great success but not one available yet for an LT1 since they need to mount on the opposite side.
Unmetered air ?? Where ?? NO there is No unmetered air coming into the engine anywhere !! If you looked at the photos the stock PCV inlet tubes are capped off--- There is NO WAY unmetered air is getting into the intake---Using atmospheric valve cover breathers totally isolates the PCV system from the air box---makes no sense what you are saying---

You said " you are just pulling air through the crankcase into your intake manifold from the filters. bad idea."

Show me where I am introducing unmetered air into the intake manifold---All that valve cover breathers do is re- locate the breather location from the captured air box to atmosphere --where there is NO restriction---Even in the stock location there cannot be any unmetered air so there cannot be by relocating the breathers anywhere----
Maybe in previous C5 or C6 engines where the PCV was vented to the "T-Body" post MAF -- YES you could get unmetered air by running breathers---But the LT1 has moved the PCV vent from the T-Body ( post MAF) to the air box ( Pre MAF)---There is NO change in metered air when the vent is in the air box OR anywhwere's else other than the T-Body as in the C5 or C6--- Main reason GM moved the vent from the T-Body to the air box---However this may have eliminated injestion of unmetered air--it also added more restriction to the vent side of the PCV system---

Last edited by tblu92; 02-07-2015 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:42 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Rave
FYREANT - Your pictures are consistent with other C7 engines I've seen torn down, example below.

Granted the owner of this particular C7 may have taken his video before GM released their announcement about over-filling the engine oil, but note the beginning signs of the same condition you're seeing on the intake valves... and with only 5500 miles:

RX intake valve cleaning - YouTube

Don't forget to check for oil deposits inside the Mass Air Flow Sensor (shown here):

How to install the Rx oil separating catch can system for a 2014-Corvette Stingray - YouTube

Thanks for posting your pictures. My Elite E2 system showed up today.
Not sure if I mentioned it earlier but luckily my intake tube, filter, and throttle body were dry. The inside of the manifold and heads/valves were the only things that were gunked up. These are very interesting videos. I do wonder how safe it is to try and clean the valves with a wire brush on a drill though. One bristle comes off and get into the engine and that'll be all she wrote. Also this was done on a dry sump but I assume the premise is all the same either way. Either way though I need to do something here. So what can we do as more of a permanent solution to the PCV issue? Is capping off the valley cover and intake manifold ports a possibility? Or at that point would you basically be redirecting the same issue elsewhere..?

Quick Reply: So...you don't feel a Catch Can is necessary in a Wet Sump car?!? Check this out