C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody Else Having Issues with Diablosport Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 11:40 AM
kdejac
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkGrayStingray
this is why i asked. Seemed very odd when i read the diablo reported not being able to backup original tune when it wasn't the original tune on the pcm...

Sorry for the delay, I did try and load the 93 octane tune on top of the 91 octane tune. The tuner already saves the stock tune incase of a restore so I wasn't concerned that I didn't have it. I do not believe you have to load the stock tune before loading another tune.

Still trying to get a hold of Diablo to discuss with them and get their take.

I didn't want to ask too many questions at the dealership about the TCM. I was just happy I didn't have to pay to replace it!
Old 05-28-2015, 12:55 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by kdejac
Sorry for the delay, I did try and load the 93 octane tune on top of the 91 octane tune. The tuner already saves the stock tune incase of a restore so I wasn't concerned that I didn't have it. I do not believe you have to load the stock tune before loading another tune.

Still trying to get a hold of Diablo to discuss with them and get their take.

I didn't want to ask too many questions at the dealership about the TCM. I was just happy I didn't have to pay to replace it!
What did you need to know?
Old 05-28-2015, 01:06 PM
kdejac
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport

Hey Mike.....
I had spoken to Garret when all this happened. I sent him a few emails but got no response and tried calling and no one picked up.. I did call later in the day mountain time so you may have been closed already. I can try and call again today. I really need to know how to reset my tuner? I haven't plugged it into the car since the initial try that fried the TCM. I am guessing the tuner is still in recovery mode. I just didn't want to plug it in without first talking to you guys.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:38 PM
OLD_GOAT
Drifting

Received 396 Likes on 169 Posts

I would stay on what I would consider to be on the safe side by going back to the stock tune and not piggy back one tune on top of the other.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:29 AM
kdejac
Intermediate

Tried calling again today at 130 MST......No answer again on your tech line!!
Old 05-29-2015, 10:19 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Hey Mike.....
I had spoken to Garret when all this happened. I sent him a few emails but got no response and tried calling and no one picked up.. I did call later in the day mountain time so you may have been closed already. I can try and call again today. I really need to know how to reset my tuner? I haven't plugged it into the car since the initial try that fried the TCM. I am guessing the tuner is still in recovery mode. I just didn't want to plug it in without first talking to you guys.
Please fax or email us proof of the pcm/tcm reflash at the dealer then we'll have you call or reset it via email, no problem.

Thanks
Old 05-29-2015, 10:20 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Tried calling again today at 130 MST......No answer again on your tech line!!
The phone is the worst possible way to reach us, by far.

Email is best, support @ diablosport.com

Forums, our forum, email, IM, anything beats the phone
Old 05-29-2015, 10:24 AM
kdejac
Intermediate

Please fax or email us proof of the pcm/tcm reflash at the dealer then we'll have you call or reset it via email, no problem.

Thanks

Thanks Mike.....I will get that out to you later on today!
Old 06-03-2015, 12:17 PM
Marcus Nakamura
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to install the 93 octane tune without any other changes and it ended up being unsuccessful and when it was in the process of installing the original tune it failed and would keep giving me the message that the tuner could not find the PCM to make sure the key was on. The dealer said that there was something wrong with the PCM but they were not sure what was wrong. They replaced the PCM luckily under warranty. I tried installing the tune again and it installed without issue. I am now in AZ and 93 octane is not readily available so I tried to install the 91 octane tune with the modification of removing the top speed. This again fried the PCM and the dealer here replaced the PCM again under warranty. I am following the instructions to a "T" however generic they may be and have had issues with my PCM twice. While installing the tune it would fail when writing to the TCM. I sent the tuner off last week with an RMA to see if there might be something wrong with the tuner.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:47 AM
seevi
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 11B250
Will the dealer know computer has been tuned (altered) with your tuning software?
P18c9 is a generic manufacturer fault code that can be detected and cleared by the Tech-II. If a tech suspects that the ECU may have been altered, they will pull it out and send it to the engineers in Milford, MI. It will take them about 5 minutes to identify it is not "original" and poof, your warranty is history and you're on the hook for repair costs. I've seen this happen to a C6 ZO6 and recently to a C7 tuned with the inTune. Caveat emptor!
Old 06-13-2015, 06:41 PM
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcus Nakamura
I tried to install the 93 octane tune without any other changes and it ended up being unsuccessful and when it was in the process of installing the original tune it failed and would keep giving me the message that the tuner could not find the PCM to make sure the key was on. The dealer said that there was something wrong with the PCM but they were not sure what was wrong. They replaced the PCM luckily under warranty. I tried installing the tune again and it installed without issue. I am now in AZ and 93 octane is not readily available so I tried to install the 91 octane tune with the modification of removing the top speed. This again fried the PCM and the dealer here replaced the PCM again under warranty. I am following the instructions to a "T" however generic they may be and have had issues with my PCM twice. While installing the tune it would fail when writing to the TCM. I sent the tuner off last week with an RMA to see if there might be something wrong with the tuner.
Im really surprised GM didnt red flag this , and investigate the recurrent pcm failures.....

Dont be surprised that if there is a third pcm failure , GM digs deeper for the cause , and voids your powertrain warranty when they pick up any indication of a tune....
Old 06-15-2015, 11:37 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 455230
GM digs deeper for the cause , and voids your powertrain warranty when they pick up any indication of a tune....
also, lets not forget that GM reads internet car forums. Can almost guarentee they are already discussing: "three warranty repairs that shouldn't have been".

I had the first ever Diablo Predator handheld released for Corvette; loved the device.

As new model tuners are introduced, they tend to spend time adding features to these tuners, and advertise what now they can additionally do.

I can only suggest that Diablo spend as much adding to what it can do.... as making sure there are things their device should never do. It should never cause a problem that it can't recover from itself.

never.

I have no doubt that Diablosport will correct this. It's just that this "bug" should of never of been allowed to have happened in the first place. If to load a higher octane tune requires the car owner return back to the factory tune first; then the tuner should not allow you to do it any other way (safeguards built in).
Old 06-15-2015, 11:44 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by seevi
P18c9 is a generic manufacturer fault code that can be detected and cleared by the Tech-II. If a tech suspects that the ECU may have been altered, they will pull it out and send it to the engineers in Milford, MI. It will take them about 5 minutes to identify it is not "original" and poof, your warranty is history and you're on the hook for repair costs. I've seen this happen to a C6 ZO6 and recently to a C7 tuned with the inTune. Caveat emptor!
Odd that we have not heard from the C7 owner. (Or the C6Z)
Was the car modified beyond the tune? What was the nature of the failure that lead to the warranty claim to start with? Please dont just drop some 3rd hand info with no more facts to back it up, I understand this is the internet but that doesn't make it right.
I am sure they did not see anything in the pcm that lead them to prove it had been flashed by one of our devices.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:00 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

I am sure they did not see anything in the pcm that lead them to prove it had been flashed by one of our devices.
GM will be able to tell that "something" caused the ecm/pcm/whatever to stop communitating on the bus... and thus required it's replacement.

And; they will be able to determine this via close technical inspection of failed PCM, or simply by reading about it on car forums...
Old 06-15-2015, 12:10 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

How do you figure?

Do you want to know how many times I have seen Tech2/MDI fail a flash?
There are no guarantees in flash tuning, errors are to be expected, and we leave nothing behind that will tell them we were there, so even if they identify it as a flash failure, it could have been a flash from an MDI for all they knew.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:14 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

How do you figure?

There are no guarantees in flash tuning, errors are to be expected, and we leave nothing behind that will tell them we were there, so even if they identify it as a flash failure, it could have been a flash from an MDI for all they knew.
Good luck
Old 06-15-2015, 04:18 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

No offense, but I take that reply to mean you have no further info to back up your claim.
If you feel you have some info that we have overlooked in our years of development on GM PCMs, please, feel free to share it with the community, I am not against debating it openly.

Other than that, you're one more guy who heard from a friend who knows a guy at a dealer who swears they can see anything....and that's a disservice to the community IMO.

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody Else Having Issues with Diablosport Tuner

Old 06-15-2015, 06:52 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

No offense, but I take that reply to mean you have no further info to back up your claim.
If you feel you have some info that we have overlooked in our years of development on GM PCMs, please, feel free to share it with the community, I am not against debating it openly.

Other than that, you're one more guy who heard from a friend who knows a guy at a dealer who swears they can see anything....and that's a disservice to the community IMO.

Thanks
rofl perfect response
Old 06-15-2015, 07:15 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 218 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I can add dozens to whatever his number is. Bad blocks aren't correctable on a majority of ECUs/ECMs, unlike the many other types of flash devices consumers are used to.

There's a reason we're still reading/writing these at a max of 115200 baud - there's no room for any uncorrectable errors.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:27 AM
seevi
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Odd that we have not heard from the C7 owner. (Or the C6Z)
Was the car modified beyond the tune? What was the nature of the failure that lead to the warranty claim to start with? Please dont just drop some 3rd hand info with no more facts to back it up, I understand this is the internet but that doesn't make it right.
The C7 owner complained to the seller of the intune unit and received lip services that there are no guarantees. The problem was lean condition both banks. Fortunately for him, he has more money than brains and traded the car for a convertible. The ZO6 was detonating.

The point I'm trying to make is this, you say Chevy cannot tell if a car has been tuned with your unit and returned to stock. That's simple not the case.

Quick Reply: Anybody Else Having Issues with Diablosport Tuner