C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 12:56 PM
Jesus_GZ
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers question?

Im gone install some long tube Texas speed headers and i wanted to now how hard is it to install them? And what parts of the engine do you have to remove to get to them ?
Old 02-09-2015, 02:13 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 864 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesus_GZ
Im gone install some long tube Texas speed headers and i wanted to now how hard is it to install them? And what parts of the engine do you have to remove to get to them ?
Z51 car? It's a different ballgame if it's a dry sump car.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:00 PM
Jesus_GZ
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by C7&7
Z51 car? It's a different ballgame if it's a dry sump car.
Yes Z51
Old 02-09-2015, 03:08 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 864 Likes on 601 Posts

You have to disconnect the supply and return oil lines under the car, remove the fuse box, some take off the valve covers.

You also have to lift the motor a little bit....

It's not a simple DIY project. It takes a full day.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:12 PM
Jesus_GZ
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by C7&7
You have to disconnect the supply and return oil lines under the car, remove the fuse box, some take off the valve covers. You also have to lift the motor a little bit.... It's not a simple DIY project. It takes a full day.
thanks bro
Old 02-09-2015, 07:00 PM
Sales@Texas-Speed
Premium Supporting Vendor

Hi Jesus

Thanks for the purchase, you're going to love them.

We have installed a few on dry sumps cars with not much of an issue. Each header is different, and each person does it there own way.

You do need to remove the dry sump lines, to put it up on the passenger side. I also removed the valve covers to make it easier to get the header bolts.

We did not remove the fuse box or lift the engine at all. We didn't see any reason to. The put up in there pretty easy without lifting the engine.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:15 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,012 Likes on 365 Posts

My buddy and I put headers on our cars. We installed the ARH mid-length which probably are about the same level of difficulty. It really is helpful to have a lift because we were going up and down many times.

Unbolt negative cable from battery. If you are messing around with the starter cables, you MUST take off the negative cable. Never touch the positive if you can help it. Bad things happen if you accidently ground a wrench while taking off the positive cable when the negative is still connected.

On the passengers side, had to remove the fuse box. Don't know how someone could get to the spark plugs, wires, and stock header bolts without doing that.

Took off the serpentine belt and unbolted alternator to get it out of the way to remove the front valve cover bolts.

Removed the valve cover with coils.

Removed the starter. Could not get the header in from the bottom or top with the starter in place. No biggie.

Remove the tunnel plate.

Drain the oil and remove the dry sump lines. Very easy to do. One bolt per line. But if you can plug the lines and sump so oil does not drip out, that would be nice. I ruined a set of shorts because of the oil dripping out.

We did NOT have to lift the motor.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:21 AM
Jesus_GZ
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by RussM05
My buddy and I put headers on our cars. We installed the ARH mid-length which probably are about the same level of difficulty. It really is helpful to have a lift because we were going up and down many times. Unbolt negative cable from battery. If you are messing around with the starter cables, you MUST take off the negative cable. Never touch the positive if you can help it. Bad things happen if you accidently ground a wrench while taking off the positive cable when the negative is still connected. On the passengers side, had to remove the fuse box. Don't know how someone could get to the spark plugs, wires, and stock header bolts without doing that. Took off the serpentine belt and unbolted alternator to get it out of the way to remove the front valve cover bolts. Removed the valve cover with coils. Removed the starter. Could not get the header in from the bottom or top with the starter in place. No biggie. Remove the tunnel plate. Drain the oil and remove the dry sump lines. Very easy to do. One bolt per line. But if you can plug the lines and sump so oil does not drip out, that would be nice. I ruined a set of shorts because of the oil dripping out. We did NOT have to lift the motor.
thank you I'm gone do it Friday hopefully it comes out rite
Old 02-11-2015, 06:19 PM
Badger1991
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I an not trying to hijack the OP, but for a Non Z51, I have a 2015 LT2, how hard is it? I have access to a full car lift.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:00 PM
Houston C7
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Badger1991
I an not trying to hijack the OP, but for a Non Z51, I have a 2015 LT2, how hard is it? I have access to a full car lift.
Only thing we removed when we installed mine was the vacuum pump on the driver's side and the starter on the passenger side. A couple minutes to remove each, which was worth it for the easier access it provided. No removal of valve covers, no fuse box, no alternator, etc.

You will have to be prepared to deal with the interference between the collectors and the center tunnel cover.

I did have access to a lift and a GM Master Tech who has done hundreds on header installs, though this was his first C7. I got the impression the C7 install was easier than the C5s and C6s he was used to working on.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:16 PM
T/A KID
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts

Good info guys, putting on TSP ported heads and LT's at the same time here soon.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:33 PM
Jaay2177
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Headers

Originally Posted by Sales@Texas-Speed
Hi Jesus

Thanks for the purchase, you're going to love them.

We have installed a few on dry sumps cars with not much of an issue. Each header is different, and each person does it there own way.

You do need to remove the dry sump lines, to put it up on the passenger side. I also removed the valve covers to make it easier to get the header bolts.

We did not remove the fuse box or lift the engine at all. We didn't see any reason to. The put up in there pretty easy without lifting the engine.

Looking for headers on my 2015 c7 z06. I was wondering if i need a tune to installe these? Will it make make chedk engine come on if i dont tune?
Old 02-25-2015, 08:17 AM
Elite275
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaay2177
Looking for headers on my 2015 c7 z06. I was wondering if i need a tune to installe these? Will it make make chedk engine come on if i dont tune?
Yes, with any of the longtube options you'll need a tune and without it will definitely throw a CEL.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:42 PM
SilversledC7
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Elite275
Yes, with any of the longtube options you'll need a tune and without it will definitely throw a CEL.
But will throwing a code because of the second O2 sensors be detrimental to anything? Does the ECU operate in open mode or retard performance (timing, etc) when these codes are resident?
Old 02-26-2015, 07:38 AM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,012 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by SilversledC7
But will throwing a code because of the second O2 sensors be detrimental to anything? Does the ECU operate in open mode or retard performance (timing, etc) when these codes are resident?
The only purpose of the rear O2s is to monitor the performance of cats. The ECU doesn't change anything when the rear O2s trigger a CEL.

However, if you live in an county that requires an annual inspection any CEL is an automatic fail.

Last edited by RussM05; 02-26-2015 at 07:40 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Headers question?

Quick Reply: Headers question?