C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Scrub

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 03:40 PM
malibudoc
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Scrub

When slow turning with a 2014 C7 and steering wheel is turned full right or full left I often feel what appears to be the tires scrubbing sideways on the street. Is this normal because of the tire width or is something defective?
Old 02-21-2015, 03:46 PM
Baer383
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by malibudoc
When slow turning with a 2014 C7 and steering wheel is turned full right or full left I often feel what appears to be the tires scrubbing sideways on the street. Is this normal because of the tire width or is something defective?
It is normal b/c of the 7.0 degrees of caster in the front end alignment.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:58 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Tire Scrup

Perfectly normal, albeit annoying
Old 02-21-2015, 04:38 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,810 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Shows why the tire snap happens.

Elmer
Old 02-21-2015, 05:52 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl

Shows why the tire snap happens.

Elmer
I've seen this animation before and it definitely helps to understand what's going on. But perhaps the bigger question is, why did GM designed it this way? I can't remember any other vehicle I've owned that have had this slow steering issue.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:38 PM
tanner m
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-22-2015, 03:27 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by tanner m
Yes, but many, who are new to the the community (and this gen), don't know this.

You may have seen the subject come up many times and are tired of it, but most likely, the OP hasn't.

Frankly, this is one "smilies" or emotcon/imoge that could be done away with, IMO, because it does nothing but promote belittling. No one who posts this adds anything of value to the conversation.

Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the first to quip in with a sarcastic remark, but I' also one of the first to step away when I realize it has gone beyond friendly ribbing.

Virtually, 100% of those who post the poor unfortunate equine, should just not respond, and go to the next thread that might have some relevance to them.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:48 PM
lancekl
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Yes, but many, who are new to the the community (and this gen), don't know this.

You may have seen the subject come up many times and are tired of it, but most likely, the OP hasn't.

Frankly, this is one "smilies" or emotcon/imoge that could be done away with, IMO, because it does nothing but promote belittling. No one who posts this adds anything of value to the conversation.

Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the first to quip in with a sarcastic remark, but I' also one of the first to step away when I realize it has gone beyond friendly ribbing.

Virtually, 100% of those who post the poor unfortunate equine, should just not respond, and go to the next thread that might have some relevance to them.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:26 AM
malibudoc
3rd Gear

Sorry if you were offended by my having beat the ceremonial dead horse. However, after searching through this site looking for a thread that deals with this issue, I found nothing.
MTC

Originally Posted by tanner m
Old 02-23-2015, 11:40 AM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I've read a lot of posts about this issue, and understand what's going. Typically responders post a graphic, or the name of the condition, and state it's a normal condition. That's all fine but never have read anything about why GM designed the steering this way. Was there some handling trade-off that had to be met? Or perhaps just the characteristics of the geometry of the steering components at extreme steering angles? I'm not bitchin', just curious.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:53 PM
Digfoot
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alienranch
Perfectly normal, albeit annoying
Old 02-24-2015, 02:07 PM
StingerBG
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

It's called the Ackermann effect. As shown in the illustration above, it's due to differences in steering linkage speeds... it is easily fixed through modern steering technologies however Corvette engineers have chose not to because the car actually handles better at higher speeds the way it is...and they deemed that as more a priority.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:20 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by StingerBG
It's called the Ackermann effect. As shown in the illustration above, it's due to differences in steering linkage speeds... it is easily fixed through modern steering technologies however Corvette engineers have chose not to because the car actually handles better at higher speeds the way it is...and they deemed that as more a priority.
Thanks, answering the question about what the condition is, what it's called, and that's it's normal, is normally what everyone says. But your post is the first time I've read an answer as to why it hasn't been corrected.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:35 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

It's called the Ackermann effect.
Yes, it is.

<snip> it is easily fixed through modern steering technologies
It is easily fixed by using toe-OUT--however this makes the car nervous in the straight line.

however Corvette engineers have chose not to because the car actually handles better at higher speeds the way it is...and they deemed that as more a priority.
The Vette actually goes around corners faster with a bit of toe-OUT, but few drivers would put up with the nervousness. Most race cars use toe-OUT in order to minimize scrub in turns and thereby get rid of a source that heats the front tires. After getting rid of this source of heat, the camber can be adjusted for more grip.

All at the expense of nervousness in a straight line.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:43 AM
malibudoc
3rd Gear

Thank you for your response.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:41 AM
StingerBG
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by malibudoc
Thank you for your response.
You're welcome! I actually had the same concern when I first bought mine and did a big search on it!
Old 03-06-2015, 07:42 PM
C7Kevin
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I posted this on another thread, one of many that asks about the symptom.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Perhaps just another case of: "a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing."

But, I can't help but wonder if the "ackermann-caused" tire hop issue on C7 Corvettes is a predictable byproduct of Chevrolet's desire to provide the exceptional turn-in capabilities that many have raved about.

I am happy to be proven wrong about this, but, until then, I think that the "hopping" is just a price we pay to enjoy fabulous turn-in on the C7s.

I believe that the type and amount of Ackermann employed in the C7 steering geometry was employed by Chevrolet to produce the great turn-in that C7s have.

I have a 2015 C7 Z51 coupe and I just LOVE the steering in general, but particularly the fabulous turn-in the car has. It's nothing like any car I have ever driven.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Scrub

Quick Reply: Tire Scrub