C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many A8 guys have Superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 12:05 AM
imxz28
Drifting

Received 454 Likes on 174 Posts

You may be right but I wish someone in the know would get some solid specs from GM. I have done a good number of searches and can agree with the LT1 getting different clutches and torque converters than the Z06. I have seen that a number of times on legit sites. And this one from the GM web site "Unique clutch and torque converter specifications matched to the torque capacity of the Stingray’s LT1 6.2L naturally aspirated engine and the Z06’s LT4 supercharged engine distinguish the applications for the different Corvette models".

However, the 6L80 was rated at 440 lb/ft and a year later they released the 2007 Hydra-Matic 6L90 Transmission ( MYD )
rated at 530 lb/ft for the GM trucks.
The Stingray is rated at 465 lb/ft ..... so, if we add 11% to the 6L80, we are looking at 480 lb/ft.

Another quote from GM web site "Truck section"
The 8L90 was designed with 11 percent greater torque capacity than GM’s 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission, complementing the output of the 6.2L, which – at 420 horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque – is the most powerful engine offered in a light-duty pickup.

The Trans-Axle Corvette 8L90 is different than the truck version a bit and I find this:
“The Corvette’s new eight-speed automatic delivers the comfort and drivability of a true automatic transmission, as well as lightning-fast shifts and the manual control that enhance the performance-driving experience,” said Kaveh. “It was designed to enhance the driving experience, with performance on par with dual-clutch designs, but without sacrificing refinement.”

What's my point in all this?
I think the Corvette 8L90 is very specific to sports car performance and not the same as the heavy duty towing capacity versions found in trucks. I have found NOTHING that confirms the Torque spec on the LT1 clutch/torque converter combo which differs from the Z06 version and believe it will be UNIQUE - not the same as the Truck version you mention. Again! Hope someone can find out for us.
But in any case, I think the LT1 version will hold the power I plan to use!

Originally Posted by BRCC
My understanding is the Z06 is rated at 738 but the A8 in the Stingray is not rated that high (Est 480+). I found some mention of it having a 11% increase over the A6 in the 2014 Stingray. I have not found any specs that actually relate to the 2015 A8 other than the one in the Z06.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:50 PM
anders1118
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by imxz28
You may be right but I wish someone in the know would get some solid specs from GM. I have done a good number of searches and can agree with the LT1 getting different clutches and torque converters than the Z06. I have seen that a number of times on legit sites. And this one from the GM web site "Unique clutch and torque converter specifications matched to the torque capacity of the Stingray’s LT1 6.2L naturally aspirated engine and the Z06’s LT4 supercharged engine distinguish the applications for the different Corvette models".

However, the 6L80 was rated at 440 lb/ft and a year later they released the 2007 Hydra-Matic 6L90 Transmission ( MYD )
rated at 530 lb/ft for the GM trucks.
The Stingray is rated at 465 lb/ft ..... so, if we add 11% to the 6L80, we are looking at 480 lb/ft.

Another quote from GM web site "Truck section"
The 8L90 was designed with 11 percent greater torque capacity than GM’s 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission, complementing the output of the 6.2L, which – at 420 horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque – is the most powerful engine offered in a light-duty pickup.

The Trans-Axle Corvette 8L90 is different than the truck version a bit and I find this:
“The Corvette’s new eight-speed automatic delivers the comfort and drivability of a true automatic transmission, as well as lightning-fast shifts and the manual control that enhance the performance-driving experience,” said Kaveh. “It was designed to enhance the driving experience, with performance on par with dual-clutch designs, but without sacrificing refinement.”

What's my point in all this?
I think the Corvette 8L90 is very specific to sports car performance and not the same as the heavy duty towing capacity versions found in trucks. I have found NOTHING that confirms the Torque spec on the LT1 clutch/torque converter combo which differs from the Z06 version and believe it will be UNIQUE - not the same as the Truck version you mention. Again! Hope someone can find out for us.
But in any case, I think the LT1 version will hold the power I plan to use!
Thats also what i been wondering about. If the A8 really could withstand a max 738 pound ft of torque i would probably spring for a supercharger in the near future. My biggest fear is installing a supercharger and having the transmission go out. I drive my car much harder then your average person! Wish we could have get a concrete number.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:32 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by anders1118
Thats also what i been wondering about. If the A8 really could withstand a max 738 pound ft of torque i would probably spring for a supercharger in the near future. My biggest fear is installing a supercharger and having the transmission go out. I drive my car much harder then your average person! Wish we could have get a concrete number.
This !! Can any tuner say for sure what the difference is in the A8 z06 to the base A8? Maybe the base A8 can simply be beefed up like the z06 a8 for peace of mind for the guys with aftermarket blowers. Or if the base A8 blows how easy and expensive is it to have a z06 A8 Installed in a base car. Is that possible ?
Old 05-04-2015, 10:38 AM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

Well, not sure what the specs are for the C6 A6, but it has held up just fine for my GS and many other blown C6's, so I'm pretty sure the A8 in the C7 will do just fine for normal blower levels.

As has always been the case, when you start to push the ponies then you also need to harden the rest of the drive train so higher HP applications may need different alternatives.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:33 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by tunaman
Well, not sure what the specs are for the C6 A6, but it has held up just fine for my GS and many other blown C6's, so I'm pretty sure the A8 in the C7 will do just fine for normal blower levels.

As has always been the case, when you start to push the ponies then you also need to harden the rest of the drive train so higher HP applications may need different alternatives.
I'd buy an upgraded A8 if it was available when I do the ecs kit. I prefer the peace of mind.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:15 PM
marcouvo
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by thegame
I'd buy an upgraded A8 if it was available when I do the ecs kit. I prefer the peace of mind.
I would too and have the same concern for a stroker.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:52 AM
CDH76
Safety Car

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Why would you not want to do headers with a s/c? I'd think more air flow the better.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:28 PM
marcouvo
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ProChargerTech
Unknown how many of them are "out there"

However I can say that I am 100% jealous of all the A8 ProCharger customers running around.....Because....

ProCharger + that transmission = one heck of a ride.

Literally made me fall in love with the car all over again!
If you like the A8, try the Trifecta tune (calibrates both the ECM & TCM), especially with AFM de-activated. Wow!

Quick Reply: How many A8 guys have Superchargers