C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How-To: Remove/Replace the Intake Manifold Covers

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 08:48 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 218 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15
Default How-To: Remove/Replace the Intake Manifold Covers

The following How-To covers the explanation of how to Remove/Replace the Intake Manifold Covers and includes specifications, schematics, etc.

These How-To guides are neither endorsed by or property of Corvette Forum or myself in any way/shape/form. All liability stemming from any actions taken in relation to these guides is solely placed upon the user.

We hope you will find these guides useful.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:49 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

This is an extremely simple task, but for new owners who would like to remove these pieces to have them painted or swapped out, here are the quick steps:
Old 02-28-2015, 08:49 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Attachment 48368866

Attachment 48368867

Attachment 48368868
Old 08-14-2015, 11:30 PM
foreverfuelie
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts

I didn't video or photo my install but suffice to say it's pretty straight forward. The two Torx screws that are captive on the coil covers are the only mechanical attachment to the engine. A couple of hoses/tubes need to be disconnected to facilitate the cover removal/replacement. Drivers side; PCV tube/hose needs to be disconnected, by simply depressing the grey bar near the bottom of the female fitting (just pull and position off to the side). I also disconnected the braided stainless fuel line to give better access/clearance to slip the covers on/off without scratching them. Most parts houses sell the little plastic "keys" to slip in from behind the fuel line fitting to disengage the fingers to take the coupling apart (easy). Passenger side; The primary issue is the PVC fitting in the center of the cover. The male (plastic) fitting (the part with the hose attached, that you can wiggle) has two "barbed tangs" that go into the metal (female) port. If you are rough/heavy handed, with the plastic fittings, you will likely break off one or the other "tang". I ended up making myself a little metal "tool" from sheet metal flashing that I shaped in a curve that I could slip down into the gap between the male and female fitting and flex the forward (towards the front of the car) tang enough to disengage with a slightly firm pull upward. The replacement fittings (I understand) are not that expensive, so if you break a tang you can get a new one. If you break a tang, you need to "fish" the broken piece out. I also removed the small 10mm nut and bolt that secures the coolant recovery tank to shift it away from the cover, but mostly to install the new custom one and not risk scratching the paint. The whole job took me about an hour including; some chin rubbing, drink a frosty cold adult beverage, use some detail spray to remove the smudges from my fenders. (lol) Hope this helps.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:48 PM
67vettefan
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the trick to disconnecting the manifold absolute pressure sensor connector? This must be removed in order to remove the intake manifold cover. Doesn't seem to pull right off.

Thanks...
Old 07-14-2016, 01:10 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by 67vettefan
What is the trick to disconnecting the manifold absolute pressure sensor connector? This must be removed in order to remove the intake manifold cover. Doesn't seem to pull right off.

Thanks...

You need to keep the red collar pressed against the manifold body while pulling the fitting out. Then it comes out easily! The red collar is the lock. It comes out with the fitting, getting it to release is the trick. Otherwise just pulling on the fitting makes it lock harder... I used a plastic trim tool with a forked end to hold the collar against the manifold. Very limited space to work. Good news is that pushing it back in is easy!

Last edited by xp800; 07-14-2016 at 01:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cam30era (07-23-2016)
Old 09-15-2017, 06:27 PM
DAAANG
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by xp800
You need to keep the red collar pressed against the manifold body while pulling the fitting out. Then it comes out easily! The red collar is the lock. It comes out with the fitting, getting it to release is the trick. Otherwise just pulling on the fitting makes it lock harder... I used a plastic trim tool with a forked end to hold the collar against the manifold. Very limited space to work. Good news is that pushing it back in is easy!
I dont see a red collar.

Old 11-15-2020, 07:02 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

A video that cover some of this.
Old 11-15-2020, 07:34 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by jdvann
A video that cover some of this.

This is a 3 year old thread. Those guys in that thread might not even be alive.

Get notified of new replies

To How-To: Remove/Replace the Intake Manifold Covers

Quick Reply: How-To: Remove/Replace the Intake Manifold Covers