C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roots vs centrifugal superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 11:22 PM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Roots vs centrifugal superchargers

I've been looking at the E-force superchargers, but my buddy who is a big fan of centrifugal chargers (he had a supercharged C5Z) tells me I should be looking at centrifugal and not roots style. I tell him most manufacturers use roots (GM, Benz) and they must know something he doesn't. He then points me to heat soaking and tells me I won't have any issues with a reputable supercharger like ECS or procharger...

so can you guys enlighten me why I would prefer one over the other in a C7 LT1 engine?
Old 03-06-2015, 02:30 AM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

Been covered many times but I and many other prefer centri's. The whole manufacturer things is a bad argument. No one races from 0-2000rpm and all that torque down low isn't need on cars this light. Centri's have a nice linear pull with the ability to run cooler and make more power. They may not make all of their torque immediately but they make enough to put anyone in a ditch. I could go on and on but I'll let others jump in.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:05 AM
snakepit
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

What about the 11.5 to 1 compression is that to high, for a supercharger.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:15 AM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
Been covered many times but I and many other prefer centri's. The whole manufacturer things is a bad argument. No one races from 0-2000rpm and all that torque down low isn't need on cars this light. Centri's have a nice linear pull with the ability to run cooler and make more power. They may not make all of their torque immediately but they make enough to put anyone in a ditch. I could go on and on but I'll let others jump in.
I know it has been debated time and time over (I haven't searched, but I'm sure it has been covered) but it just makes me wonder GM didn't use a centrifugal setup on the Z06, which would have helped with heat soak issues. It also would have made sense since it's supposed to be a 'track ready' car and RPMs would always be in a centrifugal's power range.. is the low end torque really that necessary?
Old 03-06-2015, 08:34 AM
RpeterK
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 11B250
I know it has been debated time and time over (I haven't searched, but I'm sure it has been covered) but it just makes me wonder GM didn't use a centrifugal setup on the Z06, which would have helped with heat soak issues. It also would have made sense since it's supposed to be a 'track ready' car and RPMs would always be in a centrifugal's power range.. is the low end torque really that necessary?
Packaging --- One basic
part that bolts on like an intake.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:45 AM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RpeterK
Packaging --- One basic
but then look at all the issues it creates reference very high temps when beat on. I suppose it's much simpler to bolt on a replacement intake manifold that adds power, but....
Old 03-06-2015, 08:49 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,714 Likes on 2,921 Posts

Originally Posted by RpeterK
Packaging --- One basic
Exactly this. Same reason why Subaru uses top-mount intercoolers on their turbocharged engines; worst possible place to put an intercooler, but much neater packing so the entire engine can be installed in one shot without having to attach piping after the fact.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:44 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Eaton is a huge OEM level supplier with pricing and supplier leverage. They also are big enough to meet the supply chain standards for GM and other suppliers. Centri companies are not, so that would leave GM with developing their own centri design, testing, setting up manufacturing or contract manufacturing, etc. That isn't cheap, simple, or easy. When it comes down to it, the TVS rotors packs are cheap, work has been done, and it meets the power goals they want at a cheap price. OEMs vary rarely go off what is best for performance. It is about cost, supply chain, etc, not what performs best.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:39 PM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Everything stated here is spot on.

Roots chargers look much more stock than Centri's and Eaton can meet the demand. The other big issue is efficiency, roots chargers make sense on smaller displacement motors like V6's but in a V8 like the Vette you don't need more low end torque.

The centri's being more efficient make less heat, the other benefit of centri's are that they sit away from the motor and not on top of it. You can also develop a lot more top end power with a Centri than the current bolt on roots chargers.

Centri's also are a lot more capable of being plumbed with a simpler air to air cooler. You don't have to worry about pumps failing and not moving the coolant in an intercooler.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:20 PM
11B250
Melting Slicks

so in reality, if one is to go aftermarket, it's almost a no brainer to go with a centrifugal...
Old 03-06-2015, 01:46 PM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

so in reality, if one is to go aftermarket, it's almost a no brainer to go with a centrifugal...
It still comes down to personal choice, but I think it is a no brainer. I would consider a roots charger if I had a smaller displacement motor with less torque.

V6 + Roots = V8 type performance (think Audi V6)
V8 + Centri = Linear power less low end torque

If you look at most race motors they don't produce a ton of torque but high horsepower, that is because while torque is great if you can't put the power down it is wasted energy. Converting that power to higher rev pulling power pays off in less torque but much more high end HP.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:13 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

IMO, yes, it is a no brainer, especially for a 600+rwhp.

Now if it was a 250-300hp car (older Camaros, mustangs, older vettes) and you are going to 400-450hp with a blower, then a PD does offer some nice low end without just being a tire killer. When you make 600+ it just means you roast your tires at 30% throttle instead of 60% throttle.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:25 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by snakepit
What about the 11.5 to 1 compression is that to high, for a supercharger.
Nope. You can run boost on high compression as long as the internals are strong enough and the boost is mild.

Direct Injection also makes things easier because of the precision of the combustion cycle.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:05 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

GM is also building these engines to sell in higher volumes in heavier cars like the CTS-V and ZL1 where the torque does make a difference. Mercedes was in the same boat with their heavier sedans, but you will notice that they, along with BMW are moving towards turbos. That in a sense is a lot like a centrifugal setup.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:44 AM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bucknut2006
GM is also building these engines to sell in higher volumes in heavier cars like the CTS-V and ZL1 where the torque does make a difference. Mercedes was in the same boat with their heavier sedans, but you will notice that they, along with BMW are moving towards turbos. That in a sense is a lot like a centrifugal setup.
Right... which is another question in it's entirety. why not put some turbo on these? I guess they don't want anything to do with the plumbing or them....

a turbo z06 would have been pretty sweet. a TT setup with sequential turbos
Old 03-07-2015, 09:33 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

FWIW: I've gone back and forth on this for months. My car is an auto and I miss the brutal tip in on my last 580RWHP 427 stroker motor vette. I actually find my A6 Z51 a little soggy on the bottom. This car is a cruiser with some spirited mountain driving. The Edelbrock will provide more low end RWT than a centri and peak HP is not my concern. The thing that finally made the decision for me was Edelbrock is now offering a drivetrain warranty but you have to use their conservative tune which is probably fine for me. I'll run it for a while with their tune and once I'm sure it will hold together, I'll get a custom tune.

Just my $.02
Old 03-07-2015, 10:18 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

As Unreal and Detoxx have stated, centri is the way to go.
I don't have the energy for a centri/heat pump argument today.

Get notified of new replies

To Roots vs centrifugal superchargers

Old 03-07-2015, 02:26 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Right... which is another question in it's entirety. why not put some turbo on these? I guess they don't want anything to do with the plumbing or them....

a turbo z06 would have been pretty sweet. a TT setup with sequential turbos
It all comes down to cost. The blower probably cost GM very little and warranty work is pretty simple. Look at how complicated the GM V6TT is compared to the LT4.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:23 AM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

cost and reliability is why roots are used. also, i believe Unreal is correct in that there are politics involved as well.

I would like to see GM do a mid-engine ZR1 with a centri blower or turbo.

but if you are aftermarket it's a no brainer to go centri.

Last edited by WeaponsGradeTorque; 03-08-2015 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:01 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by leadville1
Everything stated here is spot on.

Roots chargers look much more stock than Centri's and Eaton can meet the demand. The other big issue is efficiency, roots chargers make sense on smaller displacement motors like V6's but in a V8 like the Vette you don't need more low end torque.

The centri's being more efficient make less heat, the other benefit of centri's are that they sit away from the motor and not on top of it. You can also develop a lot more top end power with a Centri than the current bolt on roots chargers.

Centri's also are a lot more capable of being plumbed with a simpler air to air cooler. You don't have to worry about pumps failing and not moving the coolant in an intercooler.
I agree with this guy. I run a centri and it's a beast on my C6. ECS kit with methanol. As for stock looking, this is where I disagree a bit. I think mine looks pretty OEM-like in it's appearance under the hood. Matte black with black plumbing...

You don't lose much low end torque at all. There's still plenty. The power linearly keeps building and building. It's very weird to say your max HP is right at redline. There's no tapering off which caused me to bang the limiter the first few times driving it because I was expecting that fall off of power as you get close to redline.

Last edited by Nosferatu; 10-03-2019 at 04:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Roots vs centrifugal superchargers