C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can of marbles sound when under a load

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 12:37 AM
gary92109
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can of marbles sound when under a load

My C5 had the manual transmission sound of a can of marbles when I let out the clutch and I put in under a load at low RPM. My 2014 Manual has the same noise only more so. The running gear seems to have a lot play in it when shifting from one gear to another. I recently attended the Ron Fellows Performance school and their Z51 cars didn't seem to have the problem. Does anyone else have the same symptoms or is it just my car? This is the worst Corvette that I have owned and I wish that I had purchased an automatic transmission car. thanx for the info.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:40 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

sounds like you are lugging it and not running 93. an automatic will shift down and raise the revs to keep you from lugging the engine and putting a high load on it without enough rpms. with a manual its up to you.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:19 PM
dovervold
Melting Slicks

Received 232 Likes on 170 Posts

A lot of C6's had this same symptom, including my 2007 Z06. Every time you started out in first gear you heard the can of marbles. Most speculated it was the torque tube, and I would have to agree. And I have also heard of a possible service bulletin for torque tube issues with the C7. That is where I would start looking. Good luck and let us know what you find.

PS- I have a 2014 Z51 M7, and it does not have this sound/problem...
Old 03-11-2015, 03:33 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Isn't the C7 a dual disc clutch? When I put the twin disc clutch in my C5Z it definitely made some clutch in noises.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:22 PM
gary92109
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gary92109
My C5 had the manual transmission sound of a can of marbles when I let out the clutch and I put in under a load at low RPM. My 2014 Manual has the same noise only more so. The running gear seems to have a lot play in it when shifting from one gear to another. I recently attended the Ron Fellows Performance school and their Z51 cars didn't seem to have the problem. Does anyone else have the same symptoms or is it just my car? This is the worst Corvette that I have owned and I wish that I had purchased an automatic transmission car. thanx for the info.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I just searched "Stingrayforums.com" and found Thread: 2014 corvette needs "torque tube" replaced but dealer cannot get one anywhere. WOW! What an eye opener about the problem.

Last edited by gary92109; 03-11-2015 at 05:27 PM. Reason: incorrect URL name
Old 03-11-2015, 08:50 PM
dovervold
Melting Slicks

Received 232 Likes on 170 Posts

gary, hope you get this figured out. Mine is a M7 as well, and absolutely love it. Added a MGW shifter and it spanks every gear. I had an A6 before, and was OK, but left me wanting a third petal... Love my M7, wouldn't trade it for an A8 or anything less than manual...
Old 03-12-2015, 03:05 PM
vetteboy15
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dovervold
A lot of C6's had this same symptom, including my 2007 Z06. Every time you started out in first gear you heard the can of marbles. Most speculated it was the torque tube, and I would have to agree. And I have also heard of a possible service bulletin for torque tube issues with the C7. That is where I would start looking. Good luck and let us know what you find.

PS- I have a 2014 Z51 M7, and it does not have this sound/problem...
I have a 2015 A8 that makes an odd noise at around 1500 rpm under load. I took it into the dealer and drove w/ the mechanic. He heard it, and filed a report to GM. He had no answers for me, but I am determined to get to the bottom of this. If there is a service bulletin regarding torque tube it could possibly be my problem. I'm always hoping to see similar issues on this forum.

Get notified of new replies

To Can of marbles sound when under a load

Quick Reply: Can of marbles sound when under a load