C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left rear axle seal leaks--anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 01:01 PM
xphnmn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left rear axle seal leaks--anyone?

I have a 2014 C7 7 speed coupe with about 2500 miles on it. I don't autocross or race the car. About Feb 25th I noticed a puddle of oil where the left rear of the car had been sitting as I backed it out to take it to the dealer for the emergency brake recall so while I was at the dealer I asked them to check the rear axle for leaks. Sure enough the left axle seal was leaking. They replaced the seal and o-ring and road tested it as well as taking care of the recall. They also advised me that there was another recall on the fuel filler pipe but they had to order the parts for it and would set up an appointment to take care of that when the parts came in. I took it in yesterday to get the fuel filler pipe replaced and as I was backing out I noticed the same oil spot looked wet again so when I got to the dealer I asked them to check it and they verified it was leaking again. I'm now on my third seal and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? At what point should I be calling GM customer service for assistance if it happens again?
Old 03-19-2015, 01:37 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,820 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...1-2-shaft.html

Try that for information.

Cold does it. Supposedly there is a new seal coming out to handle colder temperatures.

Elmer
Old 03-19-2015, 02:33 PM
xphnmn
Instructor

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl

Cold does it. Supposedly there is a new seal coming out to handle colder temperatures.

Elmer
Thanks Elmer. The last poster says the revised seal is supposed to be available in the next thirty days and has a better temp range tolerance. I requested that he notify me when he gets the new part number.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:47 PM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl

Elmer
so start the car today and go to drive it it says "service rear axle" on the screen. Drive it and shut it and drive it home and it never came back on... batter may have been a little low as I drove it 2 weeks ago and never plugged it back in to the tender anticipated driving it sooner. Car is going in for fuel filler neck recall check monday anyway so they are going to look at this as well...
Old 04-30-2015, 02:04 PM
keenanj
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

The new part number is 23341259 this supersedes the old part number 19301560 when the dealer orders it you should automatically get the new part going forward.

Having mine installed today hopefully for the first and last time.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:39 PM
Luvcrzn
Heel & Toe

FYI - I have a 2015 C7 coupe with only have 5200 miles. I just had my driver side rear axle seal replaced on 4/27/2016 with seal #23341259 . It was stored over the winter in MN in a non-heated garage.

Get notified of new replies

To Left rear axle seal leaks--anyone?

Quick Reply: Left rear axle seal leaks--anyone?