C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to install a train horn in my C7.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 10:34 AM
Sir Nuke
Drifting

Received 425 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Dana M
Excellent info Joe. With all of that I should be able to do his project without much problem.
Thanks Dana......I'm on a HUGE Camaro Forum (Camaro5) where I posted those in the DIY section with the video....its had a hair over 41,000 hits. and a number of the guys there got one and used my DIY.....even one of the guys in my local club did it. The best part in my opinion is the fact that its 50 State Legal...and can be a LOT of fun when you creep up behind someone that's not paying attention in a parking lot at a car meet! LOL Not to mention it really works good on the road!
Old 08-25-2015, 10:19 PM
YoungC7
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is a grave dig here, but we are doing the Hornblasters Conductor 228V kit on my C7 this weekend. We found out inside of the engine compartment closest to the passenger side door, there is more than enough room for the entire kit to go. I will post pics after the install.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:18 AM
Busa Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

There are fools that install these illegal devices on cars and trucks. I enjoy calling them into the police when I see some boob blowing it.

If you were to cause an accident or death by using the horn you will be in jail and broke lol.....
Old 08-26-2015, 09:27 AM
YoungC7
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Busa Dave
There are fools that install these illegal devices on cars and trucks. I enjoy calling them into the police when I see some boob blowing it.

If you were to cause an accident or death by using the horn you will be in jail and broke lol.....
Cause an accident or death? The only accident or deaths that I have encountered are semi drivers not seeing me on the interstate and not hearing my horn when they decide to lane change abruptly. These are just as loud as the horns they have on their trucks so I don't see the problem.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:39 AM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by YoungC7
I know this is a grave dig here, but we are doing the Hornblasters Conductor 228V kit on my C7 this weekend. We found out inside of the engine compartment closest to the passenger side door, there is more than enough room for the entire kit to go. I will post pics after the install.
I'd like to see pictures of where you are putting the air tank and the horn setup. I've installed similar setups on my Ram and H2, but didn't think there was any rom on the C7 for all of that hardware.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:48 AM
YoungC7
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Motohead279
I'd like to see pictures of where you are putting the air tank and the horn setup. I've installed similar setups on my Ram and H2, but didn't think there was any rom on the C7 for all of that hardware.
I'll post a full write up when I'm done. Doing the ALP Laser jammers at the same time as well. Based on measurements and everything we checked out this kit should fit very safe and snug in the engine compartment. But, obviously with any build I'm sure we'll run into speed bumps. I'll keep everyone posted though.

EDIT: Also actually headed to Tampa as soon as we finish the install this weekend if you'd like to check it out.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:55 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 841 Posts

I've installed Wolo air horns in all my vehicles
Amazon.com: Wolo (417) Long Horns Big Rig Sound - 12 Volt, Low and High Tone: Automotive Amazon.com: Wolo (417) Long Horns Big Rig Sound - 12 Volt, Low and High Tone: Automotive

Not a true train horn but pretty dam' loud. There's lots of room in the front bumper in the C5; I suspect it's the same for the C7.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:49 AM
StingerBG
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I'll post a full write up when I'm done. Doing the ALP Laser jammers at the same time as well. Based on measurements and everything we checked out this kit should fit very safe and snug in the engine compartment. But, obviously with any build I'm sure we'll run into speed bumps. I'll keep everyone posted though.

EDIT: Also actually headed to Tampa as soon as we finish the install this weekend if you'd like to check it out.
You must have a non-z51....by your description, it sounds like you will be installing it where the dry sump oil fill tank is on the Z51 cars.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:55 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah I would love to see it, although I have no idea where you are putting the air tank.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:08 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

There is a guy near where I live who makes replica train horns. And these sound EXACTLY like legitimate train horns. As in the exact sound of a specific engine type, which you get to specify. They are MUCH MUCH cheaper than a real train horn.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:08 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

The Miata guys love the Nautilus horn they say the horn on the Miata is too wimpy.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:47 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by bob guzzy
The Miata guys love the Nautilus horn they say the horn on the Miata is too wimpy.
I love the Nautilus for small spaces like the C7. Big improvement.

I still respect the idea of doing the whole big thing, but it's hard to find space in these cars. Certainly will have the surprise factor, though, since most are in huge trucks that you half-expect it to come from.

Since it sounds like you're using this legitimately (like for an area like mine with small Interstate highways [I-40, I-55, & I-70]), I don't have a problem with it. We have so many deaths here from truckers not obeying the rules that Highway Patrol has a huge semi-truck task force just to pull them over, and they stay busy 24/7.

The idiots that do it for the YouTube factor... That's something different.

Last edited by Theta; 08-31-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:11 PM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

I did something similar on my Wing. I got so tired of people in cars ignoring/not-seeing me and the pitiful original horn on the bike did nothing to attract attention.

After I added the air horn, no one ignored me again. One time some idiot was not paying attention to the road and began drifting over into my lane. One long HONK of the air horn startled the driver so much, he jerked his wheel to far the left and wound up hitting the median barrier.

Originally Posted by agapsdiver
The Stebel doesn't have a hose....the compressor plugs right into the horn. Some motorcyclist do separate the Stebel horn and compressor due to space limitations and buy a hose to connect the two...but as is it works great.

This horn has been painted wrinkle black to match the Night Train's paint scheme.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:26 AM
Sir Nuke
Drifting

YoungC7......you mentioned that you were going to post up some pictures of your install after you got back from your trip....WELL?? pretty curious as to how this went, and how you mounted your tank/compressor in the engine compartment.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:56 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Busa Dave

I installed a 120 DB Stebel horn (as pictured on the cycle - above) I bought on Amazon a couple weeks ago. It came in handy when a semi purposely turned out in front of me from a side street (he had a red light) and blocked both lanes of a 4 lane with his turn. He really jumped when I was finally able to pull up to his drivers door and lay on the horn for a few seconds!

Easiest way to install is to pull front edge of drivers side fender liner to get to stock horns. Hook the relay up to them and mount the new horn in that area also. Ran the relay hot wiring to the positive post on the back side of the fuse box and the ground to one of the grounds near the steering box. This horn + relay was under $50. total, has a compact compressor built in, and is JUST LOUD ENOUGH!!!!
Old 09-15-2015, 02:36 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I get on real trains everyday work day. A train horn is no joke and does not belong on your C7. You would get in trouble.

The C7 has a good horn!
Old 09-15-2015, 02:36 PM
halt00
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Stingray
although you tube videos don't truly do these things justice......but there is the one in my Camaro. and it shows the difference of stock and with the air horn.

That is great! Do you have the brands of all the equipment or web links where you bought the set up? Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To I want to install a train horn in my C7.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:42 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ElCid79
There is a guy near where I live who makes replica train horns. And these sound EXACTLY like legitimate train horns. As in the exact sound of a specific engine type, which you get to specify. They are MUCH MUCH cheaper than a real train horn.
Ever see the SIZE of a locomotive Compressor?
How about 20 12 inch piston's.
The air Volume is HUGE. Real train horn on a train I would wager are louder that than your example.
Real train horn is not fitting in a C7 either
Old 09-15-2015, 02:45 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Cause an accident or death? The only accident or deaths that I have encountered are semi drivers not seeing me on the interstate and not hearing my horn when they decide to lane change abruptly. These are just as loud as the horns they have on their trucks so I don't see the problem.
He is talking real train horn and yes you could cause a wreak or a death. Bad idea!
Old 09-15-2015, 07:37 PM
Sir Nuke
Drifting

although you tube videos don't truly do these things justice......but there is the one in my Camaro. and it shows the difference of stock and with the air horn.

Dana.....Not a Video.....but a step-by-step, with lots of pictures through the entire process, not to mention a COMPLETE list of every single piece/part needed.....and where to buy the kit. just have to keep in mind that it is specifically tailored for the 5th Gen Camaro.

Here it is: Attachment 47873262
Thanks Dana......I'm on a HUGE Camaro Forum (Camaro5) where I posted those in the DIY section with the video....its had a hair over 41,000 hits. and a number of the guys there got one and used my DIY.....even one of the guys in my local club did it. The best part in my opinion is the fact that its 50 State Legal...and can be a LOT of fun when you creep up behind someone that's not paying attention in a parking lot at a car meet! LOL Not to mention it really works good on the road!
Originally Posted by halt00
That is great! Do you have the brands of all the equipment or web links where you bought the set up? Thanks!
halt00.....here are the 3 posts from above. so here is the video again and below that is the link to the DIY I made in PDF form, it has all the info you are looking for, its the first two pages. Where to buy it, what all comes in the kit, a list of every piece or part you could possibly need to do the install.

if you have any questions at all don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.

Quick Reply: I want to install a train horn in my C7.