C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to install a train horn in my C7.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 10:07 AM
The Creeper
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

Default I want to install a train horn in my C7.

Really, people ignore my regular horn. Is this possible, if so how do I do it?
Old 03-22-2015, 10:16 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,822 Likes on 2,066 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

You just think you do, when in reality no you don't...

Elmer
Old 03-22-2015, 10:57 AM
77vette05
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It can be done, but you need a air compressor mounted in the car. Watch some you tube vids of cars with train horns. You will see the set-up in the trunks of the cars.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:46 AM
Sir Nuke
Drifting

Received 425 Likes on 245 Posts

I had one in my Camaro....did the entire install myself and made a DIY. What I had wasn't actually a train horn.....and was legal in all 50 states, as it was the same db level (140 db) and tone as a Semi (Tractor Trailer) Horn. AND YES, you would have an air tank located in the rear. mine wasn't very large, it was only a 1-1/2 gallon tank with the small compressor on top. the hard part of our cars would be locating, if its even possible, to mount the actual horns. as their is a pair and one is 14" long and the other was 11.65" long. And considering how the electrical system was made, I was able to just use a "piggy-back fuse holder", such that not a single wire was cut or spliced in.....not to mention it made it to ware it was actually integrated into the regular car horn....AND was active as part of the alarm system.

Here is the size of the tank/compressor in my truck.

Name:  TANK-COMP.jpg
Views: 1237
Size:  32.2 KB
Old 03-22-2015, 12:21 PM
The Creeper
Race Director

After the OP, I looked on amazon and they have a lot of train/truck horns for cars with self contained compressors. I just have to figure out which one would be best and how to install. I might have to get a pro to do the install. It looks like the is plenty of room on the drivers side of the engine compartment.
The following users liked this post:
Avanti (03-08-2022)
Old 03-22-2015, 01:35 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

They make electric units but nothing sounds like the real thing. Buddy had one on his big rig and it is scary as hell when activated. This was a real train horn.

The thing is that the real ones use lots of air, meaning a big holding tank for air as well as the compressor. The tank that would fit on the Vette would not last but for a quick blow.

Probably get you in trouble due to causing the faint of heart to do something stupid and hurt someone.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:11 PM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I had this set up on my 2500HD Silverado. Best thing ever for those rigs, people get out of the way for sure, and yes, they do offer some occasional fun!
Old 03-22-2015, 02:16 PM
The Creeper
Race Director

Originally Posted by Boomer111

Probably get you in trouble due to causing the faint of heart to do something stupid and hurt someone.
What I need it for is the lane drifters that are focused on their iPhones. These idiots have learned to tune out all the normal horns that a honking at them.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:22 PM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dana M
What I need it for is the lane drifters that are focused on their iPhones. These idiots have learned to tune out all the normal horns that a honking at them.
There is no "tuning out" of a proper train horn. Now I had 6 bugles and a 3.5 gallon tank which I think is doubtful to get on a C7, but even somewhere close to this setup will ensure no iPhone browsing idiot gets in your lane.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:10 PM
Sir Nuke
Drifting

although you tube videos don't truly do these things justice......but there is the one in my Camaro. and it shows the difference of stock and with the air horn.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:19 PM
The Creeper
Race Director

Originally Posted by Joe Stingray
although you tube videos don't truly do these things justice......but there is the one in my Camaro. and it shows the difference of stock and with the air horn.

Very cool. It seemed like you had a switch to alternate between the two, that would be an excellent thing to have. Do you have a how to vid?
Old 03-22-2015, 03:47 PM
agapsdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 147 Posts

I installed one of these in the engine compartment.

Amazon.com: FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn: Automotive Amazon.com: FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn: Automotive

130 dB

Very load and gets their attention.
Installed one on my Harley-Davidson too.

When I took the front end off to install my Z06 grill, I put a tap on the positive wire of one of the C7's horns and ran the wire into the engine compartment. Then installed a relay to be tripped by the OEM wire. Have the "HOT" wire coming from the positive post located behind the front fuse box.

Very load.. even got the attention of an 18 wheeler as it was moving into my lane.

Last edited by agapsdiver; 03-23-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:08 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

FWIW, a two-tone Hella or similar with a small 1/2-litre compressor will make a deafeningly-loud set of tones, and takes very little room (we have enough in our normal horn area).

I know the big stuff sounds cool, but it adds weight, complexity, etc.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:31 PM
The Creeper
Race Director

Originally Posted by Theta
FWIW, a two-tone Hella or similar with a small 1/2-litre compressor will make a deafeningly-loud set of tones, and takes very little room (we have enough in our normal horn area).

I know the big stuff sounds cool, but it adds weight, complexity, etc.
Do you have links to the products?
Old 03-22-2015, 05:38 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Do you have links to the products?
Sure, I've used both of these:

First one looks cheesy, but you'll be hiding it in the cavity with the horns now - no way to see them. They're rated @ 118dBa.

Amazon.com: HELLA 003001651 2-Trumpet 12V Air Horn Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: HELLA 003001651 2-Trumpet 12V Air Horn Kit: Automotive

Second is much louder (by several orders of magnitude @139dBa) and made by Stebel. There are several types of these same kits out there, but this one has most everything you need including the relay. Unsure if this includes the hose, but that's a 5 minute trip to AutoZone or Lowes.

Amazon.com: Stebel 11690019 - Nautilus Compact Mini Air Horn Black: Automotive Amazon.com: Stebel 11690019 - Nautilus Compact Mini Air Horn Black: Automotive

If you're looking for loud, the second one fits the bill.

Hope that helps!
Old 03-22-2015, 06:00 PM
The Creeper
Race Director

First one looks cheesy, but you'll be hiding it in the cavity with the horns now - no way to see them. They're rated @ 118dBa.

Amazon.com: HELLA 003001651 2-Trumpet 12V Air Horn Kit: Automotive

Second is much louder (by several orders of magnitude @139dBa) and made by Stebel. There are several types of these same kits out there, but this one has most everything you need including the relay. Unsure if this includes the hose, but that's a 5 minute trip to AutoZone or Lowes.

Amazon.com: Stebel 11690019 - Nautilus Compact Mini Air Horn Black: Automotive

If you're looking for loud, the second one fits the bill.

Hope that helps!

Thanks dude i was already considering the Stebel. I will be doing the 1 click order for that one.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:13 PM
agapsdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 147 Posts

Hope that helps!
The Stebel doesn't have a hose....the compressor plugs right into the horn. Some motorcyclist do separate the Stebel horn and compressor due to space limitations and buy a hose to connect the two...but as is it works great.

This horn has been painted wrinkle black to match the Night Train's paint scheme.

Last edited by agapsdiver; 07-16-2017 at 12:25 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To I want to install a train horn in my C7.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:34 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by agapsdiver
The Stebel doesn't have a hose....the compressor plugs right in to the horn. Some motorcyclist do separate the Stebel horn and compressor due to space limitations and buy a hose to connect the two...but as is it works great.
You're right - I had that one on my little MINI and only had a single bolt hole without running anything other than the relay. It was the damned catch can that I had hoses running to/from in this picture.

That install was by far the easiest of the bunch - plug'n'play.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:46 PM
Sir Nuke
Drifting

Very cool. It seemed like you had a switch to alternate between the two, that would be an excellent thing to have. Do you have a how to vid?
Dana.....Not a Video.....but a step-by-step, with lots of pictures through the entire process, not to mention a COMPLETE list of every single piece/part needed.....and where to buy the kit. just have to keep in mind that it is specifically tailored for the 5th Gen Camaro.

Here it is: Air Horn Install DIY for the 5th Gen Camaro REV1.pdf
Old 03-23-2015, 10:17 AM
The Creeper
Race Director

Originally Posted by Joe Stingray
Dana.....Not a Video.....but a step-by-step, with lots of pictures through the entire process, not to mention a COMPLETE list of every single piece/part needed.....and where to buy the kit. just have to keep in mind that it is specifically tailored for the 5th Gen Camaro.

Here it is: Attachment 47873262
Excellent info Joe. With all of that I should be able to do his project without much problem.

Quick Reply: I want to install a train horn in my C7.