C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No power to most of vehicle. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 04:56 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by jedblanks
Maybe the timing chain slipped a tooth or two when you rotated the motor backwards (tightening - but its unclear if it moved this way)? Its odd but it could happen??

If you don't want to wait 4-5 hours you can remove both (+) and (-) battery terminals and touch them together after removing.
YES this is the quick solution but scares off many to purposely casue a direct short which will also unload the capacitor voltages
Old 03-27-2015, 10:09 AM
Lanbo
The Gun Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tblu92
OK I now know what you mean--- the crankshaft would rotate when you tried to take the bolt out---Yes this is common with a ratchet or breaker bar --almost always requires an impact tool
Correct. But when I was tightening the new bolt in place, the pulley/balancer did not rotate at all even as I was putting the entire 240 ft/lbs of torque on it. While I've done a lot of mods myself over the years, I'm by no means a mechanic and so I didn't know if this was normal or not. I would think the engine would rotate by hand in either direction, but wasn't sure.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:27 PM
Lanbo
The Gun Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

UPDATE:

I got a call from the shop this morning regarding their preliminary check. He's a little backed up so he won't be able to really get into it for a couple of more days. But he said the problem was the bolts that go through the (procharger) crank pulley and into the cam locks (that mesh up with the harmonic balancer) had dug into the engine behind the harmonic balancer. I'll know more once he gets everything pulled off but he said he was able to get the engine turning by hand so the engine is good, it was just those bolts digging in. He said there appeared to be a slight oil leak there so those bolts biting in may have caused some damage (assuming the oil isn't from something else). Hopefully it's nothing serious.

At this point, I don't know if it's something I did wrong, or if the hardware included was incorrect. I've looked over the instructions a dozen times since he called and I don't see how I could have done something wrong to where this could have happened. I don't want to lay any blame anywhere till I know for certain why it happened. The trouble is that with the way the (procharger) crank pulley is designed, there was no way to see if there was any kind of problem. It's a solid pulley except for the bolt holes. Looking at the directions, though, I would think that if you were to mess up the cam locks and bolts that the worst thing that could happen is that you can't get it on all the way.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:32 PM
rob03zo6
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did one of these kits myself, The only thing you may have done is switched the hardware from the stock balancer. Sounds like a bolt length issue, Hope it didn't grind through the block. Sorry hope its nothing,
Old 03-31-2015, 12:05 PM
Lanbo
The Gun Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rob03zo6
I did one of these kits myself, The only thing you may have done is switched the hardware from the stock balancer. Sounds like a bolt length issue, Hope it didn't grind through the block. Sorry hope its nothing,
Other than the stock crank bolt, there isn't any stock hardware to use. And that stock bolt is still laying in my garage floor so I know that's not the issue. I also double checked last night over the directions and all the parts and there aren't any other bolts included in the kit that I could have mistakenly used either. But even if there were, they were all shrink-wrapped/packaged together to make it easier. All-in-all it was a pretty easy install other than moving so much stuff out of the way. Just need to figure out why/how those bolts/cams are hitting the engine. Hopefully he will be able to get it up on the rack and into it by tomorrow.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:34 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

The plot thickens, hang in there....hoping the block is ok.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:18 PM
lsp408
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If what the shop say is true. The only damage I can think of it would be timing cover? Still sucks no matter what but if this is really the case, when I do install on mine, I'll be sure to use mirror or whatever to make sure this won't happen
Old 03-31-2015, 01:30 PM
Lanbo
The Gun Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lsp408
If what the shop say is true. The only damage I can think of it would be timing cover? Still sucks no matter what but if this is really the case, when I do install on mine, I'll be sure to use mirror or whatever to make sure this won't happen
Sorry, I thought I mentioned that it was the timing cover. So yes, even if damaged, it's not catastrophic by any means.

I'll admit I didn't try to look back there since I didn't even think about that being the problem. From what I can remember and from what I can see in the picture in the installation manual, even with a mirror and flashlight it would be pretty hard to see behind it. Had I thought about it at the time, I would have measured everything with calipers to see. But then again I wasn't expecting anything to go wrong so I had no reason to measure anything. However, I should have known better since I nothing ever goes my way. I have the worst luck ever. My dad says my bad luck is genetic and that I get it from him.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:56 PM
lsp408
Racer

If the supplied bolts for cam lock were too long, I am sure you need to have shop take some pictures of damaged parts and measure the length of the bolts and report back to procharger. They are standup company and should taking care of you. Please do let us know the outcome. Thanks
Old 04-10-2015, 03:20 PM
Lanbo
The Gun Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Small update. They removed the pulley and found that the bolts were just a tiny bit too long, but long enough to lock up the motor. There doesn't appear to be anything more than cosmetic damage to the timing cover, but they are going to let it run for a little bit without the supercharger pulley on to check for any leaks just to be safe. He asked me the kit came with lock washers (which it didn't and they aren't listed in the parts or manual either) because he said it looked like the thickness of a lock washer would have been enough to keep it from happening in the first place.

I'll contact Procharger once I have the full details with bolt lengths and such, but it will be interesting to find out if my car is slightly different somehow or if they sent the wrong bolts.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:26 PM
lsp408
Racer

I will be interesting to see what procharger say
Old 04-10-2015, 09:28 PM
lsp408
Racer

So you did exact like this? And the bolt was too long? Was it just one or all of them?
Attached Images  
Old 04-14-2015, 11:44 AM
Lanbo
The Gun Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

I get to pick up my baby tonight.

lsp408, he has the bolts for me to get when I pick her up but I believe it is all of them that were too long. He is going to have his wife send me pictures of the timing cover as well. The damage caused by the bolts was just cosmetic. The slight oil leak was because the bolts on the cover were loose, most likely from being jarred by the bolts hitting (or possibly they just were never tightened properly or some other reason). But yes, everything was installed exactly as in the picture you posted but the bolts stuck out of the end of the cam locks and were too long. That leads me to believe that the bolts sent were too long to begin with and not that my car is "off" somehow, but I'll let you know what ProCharger says when I hear back. I have not contacted them about it yet as I was waiting to have everything in hand to send them.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:21 PM
lsp408
Racer

Thanks for the update. Please do report back what procharger say regarding the bolt.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:46 PM
Lanbo
The Gun Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Picked her up and runs great. Bad weather, traffic, and no radar detector meant I didn't get to play much on the way home, but when I did have a chance to punch it...HOLY HELL!!! Huge noticeable difference. This is with the base ProCharger supplied tune. 554 HP and 522 TQ on a mustang dyno. Mechanic wants me to put a couple thousand more miles on the engine and supercharger before he custom tunes it. I'll post numbers and results at that time as well but here is the current dyno sheet.

procharger supercharger tune
Old 04-14-2015, 10:02 PM
lsp408
Racer

Nice
Old 04-15-2015, 06:05 PM
Lanbo
The Gun Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Just FYI here are the pics of the "damage" so you can see what happened:

Get notified of new replies

To No power to most of vehicle. Please help

Old 04-15-2015, 11:40 PM
lsp408
Racer

Ouch
Old 04-18-2015, 06:07 AM
vetehead
Drifting

So what did pro charger say / do to to compensate for your troubles, down time and the charges that your local shop had to fix? Glad you did not have a damaged motor.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:48 AM
T/A KID
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts

Wanted to bump this.... I blew the 350amp fuse tonight on my car doing normal driving around 65mph.....

Installed a Roots blower about 4 days ago.... I don't think anything is related (unless the start wired ground on the headers. Plan to look at that ASAP)

Original poster, did you ever find out what actually caused the voltage issue and for the 350amp to blow??

Quick Reply: No power to most of vehicle. Please help