C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power questions v. 8AT, cam only (Keeping DOD/AFM)...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 11:43 PM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Power questions v. 8AT, cam only (Keeping DOD/AFM)...

So I'm looking into a C7 after I sell my C6 GS, considering some other cars as well...

I'm looking on the horizon for what I'd want the car to be and I plan on HPDE/track events, and daily driving it as well. Tall order right? Well I want an 8AT too. I'd order the car with Comp Seats, 8AT, MSRC, PDR, and of course Z51... I'm a cake-and-eat-it-too guy.

With that in mind, I know Vengeance has a couple of cams that keep DOD/AFM (there maybe others? VR is the only one I know of right this second tho), and I'd like to keep it. I give a damn about MPG, sue me :p - Especially with the 8AT that has worse MPG than the 7MT anyway.

I'd ideally like to do the following mods...
-1 7/8ths LTs catless x-pipe and factory NPP exhaust
-Intake
-Ported TB/Intake Mani
-Fasterproms E85 conversion kit
-VR cam that keeps DOD/AFM
-E85 tune

I'd probably do some stickier tires, lower the factory bolts a bit and then honestly leave the car as-is besides some brake pads/fluid.

So I have a couple questions...

1. Will keeping the stock converter limit me as far as cam choice? I don't plan on buying a converter
2. What should the above mods net me in whp ? (A range is fine)
Old 03-30-2015, 12:33 PM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

Might need to bump this and hope Vengeance Racing or a shop chimes in :-/
Old 04-05-2015, 05:33 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

I've asked a similar question a few times. Appears nobody is interested in not selling heads or selling a cam that isn't going to make that much power in order to let you keep AFM.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:36 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 218 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I don't blame them - that's an awful lot of money and work to get only slightly better numbers from keeping the AFM. It would be a terrible price:performance ratio.

On the other hand, it's nice that they do sell them if the person really wants to make the commitment. Seems like a waste, though.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:03 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

The new A8 trans seems to have much closer gear ratios than the A6 from 1 thru 4 so just that will make it quicker in the 1/4 mile---The new "clutch to clutch trans converter stalls much higher than a C5 or C6 automatic which were rated about 1400 to 1600
My 2014 A6 will flash to almost 3000 RPM on a dead stop launch--So it in my opinion can handle a mild or mid cam without issues---
When retaining VVT but especially AFM you are limited to duration and lift on an LT1--the aftermarket cams even the largest only show minimal lift and duration increases--Typically about a 30-35 HP increase----To go to a bigger more aggressive cam you must delete the AFM and install a VVT limiter--That requires many new parts such as new lifters-valley cover and a VVT limiter kit and a AFM delete kit---TSP shows dyno runs with 100 RWHP gains when doing this-That's amazing !!--
Old 04-06-2015, 12:07 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I did the cam and stroker thing in my last vette. If MPG is important to you, any cam that provides noticeably gains is going to decrease mileage. The C7 gets a blower and IF I keep my foot out of it, mileage should not be affected.

Just my $.02
Old 04-06-2015, 01:29 PM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

So after this thread initially fell on deaf ears (posted it a week ago)...

I called up Vengeance and asked them about the 4 cams they sell that keep AFM/DOD...
Talked to the tuner there (Mike? I'm terrible with names), by dumb luck he happened to be who picked up the phone...

As always they were really nice over the phone. Mike said they hadn't done any of those cams yet (as far as I know they are somewhat new) but anticipate having at least one or two cars in the future they'll do and may, or may not post about - He suggested I call back in 3-4 weeks for some info/results as that would be the time frame he'd expect.

He went on to say that if he had to guess-timate he'd say that "just over 500whp" should be do-able with the stock converter and the mods I had listed. He went on to stress it's speculation and a conservative number. I basically said if the car made 495-505 I'd probably be a-ok with that, more would be better of course but that would be a decent start.

Just wanted to close the loop on this

Get notified of new replies

To Power questions v. 8AT, cam only (Keeping DOD/AFM)...

Quick Reply: Power questions v. 8AT, cam only (Keeping DOD/AFM)...