C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Z51 HPDE Track Video

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 05:55 PM
strategery
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default C7 Z51 HPDE Track Video

I finally got a chance to take my car to the track. This was my first time tracking this car, so I spent most of the time getting more comfortable with the car and its handling. I used to track a supercharged Lotus, so this felt quite different.

The Car: Z51 7spd coupe with MSRC in Sport 1.

The Good: Car ran strong all day. No temp issues (although it was only in the mid 60's).

The Not so Good: (1)Brakes would fade by the end of the session. I wasn't pushing hard, but i would imagine they would fade within a couple laps if I was. I DID NOT have the cooling rings in, and will try those next time to see how much of a difference they make. They basically performed as good as some of the better street pads I've used. Don't expect them to be race pads and you won't be disappointed.

This is at Gingerman Raceway in South Haven, MI.

Last edited by strategery; 07-02-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:01 PM
ap6954
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks like a lot of passing and not much being passed! Question about the lap timer on the HUD. Did you have to set the starting point before you started, and do you have to press anything to start and stop the timer or does it go off of GPS. Heading to track beginning of May and it's not clear on the cars manual.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:17 PM
silky1
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ap6954
Looks like a lot of passing and not much being passed! Question about the lap timer on the HUD. Did you have to set the starting point before you started, and do you have to press anything to start and stop the timer or does it go off of GPS. Heading to track beginning of May and it's not clear on the cars manual.
You just have to set the start/finish line once. It will remember it as long as you don't put in a new sd card.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:22 PM
strategery
Heel & Toe

You have to set it one time. It saves that GPS location on the memory card so you don't have to set it again until you visit a different track.

All you have to do is click the PDR icon and then hit start recording to get it working once the finish line is set. Then you hit stop recording when the session is over. Much simpler than my old setup that had camera, data loggers and a GPS logger.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:34 PM
ap6954
Instructor

Thanks. I will give it a shot next month. Is the set start/finish line button on the PDR screen? Do you have to stop at the line to press the button or can you do it on the roll during a pace/ warm up lap?
Old 04-14-2015, 12:03 AM
silky1
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks. I will give it a shot next month. Is the set start/finish line button on the PDR screen? Do you have to stop at the line to press the button or can you do it on the roll during a pace/ warm up lap?
Just do it as your rolling by. When I was a spring mountain I was able to do it from pit lane. If you want to see how it works just roll through your neighborhood and do it. They made it pretty freaking easy.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:40 AM
anders1118
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice! Hey i'm also from Michigan. How much is it to run at gingerman? How does it work...sorry never been to a track
Old 04-14-2015, 02:10 AM
strategery
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by anders1118
Nice! Hey i'm also from Michigan. How much is it to run at gingerman? How does it work...sorry never been to a track
It is usually ~$200 for the day. Take a look at their calendar and then click on an event to find out the price.

http://www.gingermanraceway.com/event-calendar.html

With most events you are broken down by skill level and given an instructor if you are new.

Last edited by strategery; 04-14-2015 at 02:12 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:16 PM
anders1118
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by strategery
It is usually ~$200 for the day. Take a look at their calendar and then click on an event to find out the price.

http://www.gingermanraceway.com/event-calendar.html

With most events you are broken down by skill level and given an instructor if you are new.
Cool, will do. Sounds like fun. Thanks for the info!
Old 04-27-2015, 02:43 PM
15C7Z51
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by silky1
Just do it as your rolling by. When I was a spring mountain I was able to do it from pit lane. If you want to see how it works just roll through your neighborhood and do it. They made it pretty freaking easy.
I tried from pit lane at Watkins Glen and no luck. Had to set on track to get it to register. Once done worked fine. Pit lane probably 50' from track start finish was too far
Old 04-28-2015, 02:28 PM
strategery
Heel & Toe

I had my 2nd track day in the Corvette yesterday. It was really cold (30's-40's F) but I still manage to go a little quicker than last time. The car is still 100% stock, this time with the cooling rings installed. Installing the cooling rings wasn't as bad as some people were saying it was. It took 5-10 minutes per side to install. That said, the stock brakes weren't any better than last time. The stock pads just can't hold up when pushed harder than intermiate group times. Time to get some XP12 / XP10's :-). I'm looking into buying some cheap 18F/19R wheels. Please let me know if anyone has some suggestions on wheels or tires (leaning towards R888 at the moment.)

Last edited by strategery; 07-02-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:30 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Waterford Hills also has track days. It would be a closer option if you are in the SE corner of MI. I plan on giving it a try sometime this summer.

http://www.waterfordhills.com/open-track-days.shtml

Originally Posted by anders1118
Old 04-28-2015, 08:11 PM
ap6954
Instructor

Originally Posted by strategery
I had my 2nd track day in the Corvette yesterday. It was really cold (30's-40's F) but I still manage to go a little quicker than last time. The car is still 100% stock, this time with the cooling rings installed. Installing the cooling rings wasn't as bad as some people were saying it was. It took 5-10 minutes per side to install. That said, the stock brakes weren't any better than last time. The stock pads just can't hold up when pushed harder than intermiate group times. Time to get some XP12 / XP10's :-). I'm looking into buying some cheap 18F/19R wheels. Please let me know if anyone has some suggestions on wheels or tires (leaning towards R888 at the moment.)

C7 Corvette Z51 HPDE Gingerman Raceway 2015/04/27 4B - YouTube

C7 Corvette Z51 HPDE Gingerman Raceway 2015/04/27 5 - YouTube
Hey Strategery. I have XP12 front XP10 rear on stock rotors. I will let you know how they do next Wednesday when I head to the track.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:43 PM
strategery
Heel & Toe

Hey Strategery. I have XP12 front XP10 rear on stock rotors. I will let you know how they do next Wednesday when I head to the track.
Sounds great! I look forward to your review.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:51 PM
Waytofastvette2006
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I will be at Gingerman on May 15th ! Just finished the 3 day Spring Mountain course a couple weeks ago. So I'm excited to get out there with my own and see how it will do at Home Base

Did you do the GM recommended track alignment ? Im debating if i should just do it since they seem to think its a good idea.

This is me if your gonna be there track me down and say hi !
Old 04-29-2015, 07:57 AM
strategery
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Waytofastvette2006
I will be at Gingerman on May 15th ! Just finished the 3 day Spring Mountain course a couple weeks ago. So I'm excited to get out there with my own and see how it will do at Home Base

Did you do the GM recommended track alignment ? Im debating if i should just do it since they seem to think its a good idea.

This is me if your gonna be there track me down and say hi !
I should be there on the 15th as well. I would recommend the alignment as it will prolong the life of your tires if you track it a lot. Nice looking car!!
Old 05-08-2015, 01:21 AM
ap6954
Instructor

Did a event this last Wednesday. Had the XP12 in front, XP10 rear, stock rotors with cooling rings and Motul 600 fluid. Brakes did fine. Ambient temp was about 82 F. Pedal feel stayed good and the brakes held up fine. No fade. This is at NOLA Motorsports Park on their 2.75 mile course. It's got some nice braking zones and a 5000 ft front straight with a hard brake zone at the end. Ran 20 min sessions and got about 8 laps in. I will check the rotors and pads tommorow to see how they held up. They do squeal on the street when they are cold. Not all the time though.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:09 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Did a event this last Wednesday. Had the XP12 in front, XP10 rear, stock rotors with cooling rings and Motul 600 fluid. Brakes did fine. Ambient temp was about 82 F. Pedal feel stayed good and the brakes held up fine. No fade. This is at NOLA Motorsports Park on their 2.75 mile course. It's got some nice braking zones and a 5000 ft front straight with a hard brake zone at the end. Ran 20 min sessions and got about 8 laps in. I will check the rotors and pads tommorow to see how they held up. They do squeal on the street when they are cold. Not all the time though.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z51 HPDE Track Video

Quick Reply: C7 Z51 HPDE Track Video