C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vengeance Racing releases Gen V LT1 DIRECT REPLACEMENT Forged Pistons/Pins/Ring Kit

Old 06-24-2015, 12:23 PM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

thanks last i heard in may was that the first set had not yet been installed, and i had not seen update here as was mentioned planned.

my only other hold up would be ones for somewhat lower compression.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:44 PM
SquatchMachining
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

How are you recommending that people hone the blocks during installation? Im assuming this idea was thought up to be a "in the car" type of replacement and not a total engine removal as the pistons were manufactured to factory weights. I cant for the life of me think of a good way to hone the cylinders with the block still in the car, let alone the crank still in place. I would be terrified of getting abrasives in the bearings.

What is the procedure at your shop for this installation?
Old 06-24-2015, 06:40 PM
The Rock1
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 64 Posts

So Ron,Doug, Steve this is a tad disheartening seeing how I just dropped money on a ECS supercharger W/meth and ARH only to hear that I "may" need to replace my pistons.

So what horsepower levels are you seeing the pistons deteriorate at? This is the first I'm hearing and reading that as many as 15 cars have come in with deteriorated Pistons or failed pistons.

I was looking at 10 psi (no restrictor plate) and 600hp (conservative) but now I'm thinking maybe not.

With that my question is what is an "acceptable" level of power that will not require a piston swap. And what is the average power level of cars that have presented with failed pistons.

Last edited by The Rock1; 06-24-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:50 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 863 Likes on 600 Posts

700 to the tire is acceptable without a piston swap. 10 psi of boost needs meth as some insurance.

Originally Posted by The Rock1
So Ron,Doug, Steve this is a tad disheartening seeing how I just dropped money on a ECS supercharger W/meth and ARH only to hear that I "may" need to replace my pistons.

So what horsepower levels are you seeing the pistons deteriorate at? This is the first I'm hearing and reading that as many as 15 cars have come in with deteriorated Pistons or failed pistons.

I was looking at 10 psi (no restrictor plate) and 600hp (conservative) but now I'm thinking maybe not.

With that my question is what is an "acceptable" level of power that will not require a piston swap. And what is the average power level of cars that have presented with failed pistons.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:06 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by SquatchMachining
How are you recommending that people hone the blocks during installation? Im assuming this idea was thought up to be a "in the car" type of replacement and not a total engine removal as the pistons were manufactured to factory weights. I cant for the life of me think of a good way to hone the cylinders with the block still in the car, let alone the crank still in place. I would be terrified of getting abrasives in the bearings.

I am VERY interested to hear the answer to this one. I have the same concerns..
Old 06-25-2015, 05:32 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Vengence, any plans to do a full drop in forged rod and piston setup? I know rods aren't the issue at the moment but it would be a nice safety net for some. Or would balancing start to become an issue?
Old 06-25-2015, 08:12 AM
Seannyc
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance Racing
Not sure what you have been dealing with, but we have two sets left in stock ready for immediate shipment. $1199.99 plus shipping including pins/file fit rings. Give us a call.
Looking to buy this set will u have more sets in a few months
Old 06-25-2015, 09:18 AM
0Ron@Vengeance Racing
Former Vendor

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

You should be perfectly fine at 600RWHP with a quality ECU calibration. A lot of our clients are not satisfied with 600RWHP or even 700RWHP, we designed these pistons for those individuals.

Originally Posted by The Rock1

Old 06-25-2015, 09:33 AM
0Ron@Vengeance Racing
Former Vendor

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SquatchMachining

While we cannot control the environment these pistons are installed in elsewhere we do take the time to remove the block/crank and clean the block after the honing process. This is quite an easy task after the heads/oil pan have been removed anyway.

The "drop in" design simply allows the client to avoid additional machining/balancing and down time.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:27 AM
The Rock1
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 64 Posts

You should be perfectly fine at 600RWHP with a quality ECU calibration. A lot of our clients are not satisfied with 600RWHP or even 700RWHP, we designed these pistons for those individuals.
Thank you Ron.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:42 AM
SquatchMachining
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

While we cannot control the environment these pistons are installed in elsewhere we do take the time to remove the block/crank and clean the block after the honing process. This is quite an easy task after the heads/oil pan have been removed anyway.

The "drop in" design simply allows the client to avoid additional machining/balancing and down time.

Gotcha, glad to see its don't correctly. I was really curious though, ive seen some really sketchy ways of honing a block!

At that level of disassembly I personally wouldn't understand throwing in new rods and balancing everything though. For the extra couple days of downtime it would be worth it in my eyes.

Different strokes for different folks!

Love the idea of drop in pistons though. Perfect for people not wanting to make insane power but have reliability on a budget.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:59 PM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

so was there a shot of this in lower compression or no?
Old 07-01-2015, 05:25 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Awesome! I love Wiseco.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:32 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Getting mine in 30 days
Old 06-01-2016, 01:47 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

will be ordering soon

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vengeance Racing releases Gen V LT1 DIRECT REPLACEMENT Forged Pistons/Pins/Ring Kit