C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch Can necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 02:50 AM
officermartinez
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Slow Poke
I have a Z06 which has a supercharger unlike the Z51 which is NA.
The dual catch can works on a Z51 because the throttle body has both ports for external connections to the catch can. The Z06 only has one port on the throttle body and the other location port is inside the supercharger manifold. No one has found a way to access the internal port to connect to a catch can.
Well, I'm a Z51 owner and added the three big upgrades all at the same time:

* ECS Supercharger
* ECS Alky Meth Kit
* 1 7/8" American Racing Headers

In addition to the performance parts, I opted to have the LMR catch can in my setup with the new revision - relocation kit. Just like everyone reading this thread, I did a fair amount of research before purchasing my particular catch can. For me, this setup was not cheap at all. In fact, it was very expensive, somewhere around $1100 for the catch can + revision (not including the cost of installation). I am happy with my purchase and does give me a good deal of piece of mind. I just caution those who think ALL catch cans are created equal. Please do your research.. they are not all the same.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1589165325

Old 04-25-2015, 08:45 AM
sycraft
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

LMR cans are high quality and the best for FI applications. If you are staying NA and want to keep all gasses contained than look at the UPR setup. Mightymouse is also a great choice, kind of filling the needs between the other 2. IMPO these are the best setups out there and I have tried several others in previous applications, both NA and FI.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:49 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

GM could have designed a catch can system that when full drains back into a valve cover, like my EcoBoost Twin Turbo Ford Flex. THANK YOU FORD! Can't believe it cost much when you build thousands of similar engines.

Recently switched out my 15' Z51 stock intake manifold for a Faster Prom's ( J. Formato) ported intake. Since I installed my UPR catch can almost immediately after Vette purchase, I hand NO oil in my stock intake!
Old 04-27-2015, 08:18 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by EcoBrick Bob
GM could have designed a catch can system that when full drains back into a valve cover, like my EcoBoost Twin Turbo Ford Flex. THANK YOU FORD! Can't believe it cost much when you build thousands of similar engines.
The drawback to that approach is that all the combustion byproducts and condensate that come through the PCV, and would normally get burned and blown out the tailpipe, end up back in the crankcase, contaminating your oil.

How big an issue is that, compared to coking of the valves? I'm not sure anyone here knows.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:59 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Dakota Slim
Are they making cach cans for the new ZO6 yet? Does this affect warranty in anyway?
If they do tell tale sign on these cars is the black (oily) exhaust tips.
My z06 tips are dry and clean. So I don't think they have the issue least mine is not so far.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:06 AM
officermartinez
Pro

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
If they do tell tale sign on these cars is the black (oily) exhaust tips.
My z06 tips are dry and clean. So I don't think they have the issue least mine is not so far.
The only thing I've noticed on my tips is excessive condensation during warm up / initial startup. No oily exhaust tips here either. Just did a video of my startup and you can even see the condensation.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:43 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by officermartinez
The only thing I've noticed on my tips is excessive condensation during warm up / initial startup. No oily exhaust tips here either. Just did a video of my startup and you can even see the condensation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeOQ0Pmug-I
The tips are black. Should be chrome!
After several supercharged cars. If they need a catch can they go.
Attached Images  

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 04-28-2015 at 02:52 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:54 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by meyerweb
The drawback to that approach is that all the combustion byproducts and condensate that come through the PCV, and would normally get burned and blown out the tailpipe, end up back in the crankcase, contaminating your oil.

How big an issue is that, compared to coking of the valves? I'm not sure anyone here knows.
GM did just that on my 2015z06. The 2014z51 pvc went from the dry sump to the intake. 2015 dumps into the valve cover.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:07 AM
officermartinez
Pro

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
The tips are black. Should be chrome!
After several supercharged cars. If they need a catch can they go.
LOL.. yeah, my tips used to have the factory stainless finish but I was not happy with them being that color. Since my color scheme is torch red / carbon flash metallic / black, the factory tips sort of stood out like a sore thumb. My tips were done a few weeks ago in black but the couple of times that I have washed my car, the wash rag has been impressively "clean" when I've gone over my exhaust tips.

On a side note, I think the chrome / stainless tips look GREAT on cars with chrome rims!
Old 04-28-2015, 03:32 PM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

[QUOTE=meyerweb;1589512152]The drawback to that approach is that all the combustion byproducts and condensate that come through the PCV, and would normally get burned and blown out the tailpipe, end up back in the crankcase, contaminating your oil. QUOTE]

I thought of this too. After much contemplation I decided the oil and condensates that could get drained back into the engine already came from the engine, moisture and all. The can doesn't "generate" any contaminates, simple catches what's there. It doesn't catch anything that isn't already in your oil. Since the heat of the oil boils off the moisture anyway there doesn't seem to be much of a problem. Unless I'm missing something. A catch can that self drains would seem to me a plus.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:01 PM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

[QUOTE=Frodo;1589518345]
Originally Posted by meyerweb
The drawback to that approach is that all the combustion byproducts and condensate that come through the PCV, and would normally get burned and blown out the tailpipe, end up back in the crankcase, contaminating your oil. QUOTE]

I thought of this too. After much contemplation I decided the oil and condensates that could get drained back into the engine already came from the engine, moisture and all. The can doesn't "generate" any contaminates, simple catches what's there. It doesn't catch anything that isn't already in your oil. Since the heat of the oil boils off the moisture anyway there doesn't seem to be much of a problem. Unless I'm missing something. A catch can that self drains would seem to me a plus.
The catch can is mounted remote from the engine and remains at a lower temperature. I believe the catch can creates additional condensation which remains in the can during the separation process. There is likely more condensation in the captured liquid the lower the outside temperature. Engine damage would result dumping that moisture back into the valve covers.

Last edited by vettetwo; 04-28-2015 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:27 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

I have always poured the oil that accumulates in the catch cans in my cars, back into the oil reservoir or the oil inlet in a valve cover. I have yet to see anything but OIL in my catch cans. NO water or other noticeable contaminants.

In my Twin Turbo Ford Flex, Ford has the oil that blows out the PCV system going into a reservoir ( their version of a catch can) built into one of the valve covers. When it is full, it simply overflows back into the engine with all the water, contaminants etc. that have accumulated. So.. I figure if it's good enough for Ford EcoBoost engines, it's good enough for my GM cars.

At least Ford was thoughtful enough to add a catch can. WHY??? Because you don't want oil blow by caking on your intake valves in a D.I.Engine. Check out the history of this in Audi 2.0T D. I. engines.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:02 AM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

I have always poured the oil that accumulates in the catch cans in my cars, back into the oil reservoir or the oil inlet in a valve cover. I have yet to see anything but OIL in my catch cans. NO water or other noticeable contaminants.
Your location indicates your vehicles are operated in warm climates. The pictures of catch can liquids from cars in climates that are down to 20 degrees Fahrenheit are milky in color indicating accumulation of water which would be harmful to dump back into the engine where the oil is needed for lubrication.

In my Twin Turbo Ford Flex, Ford has the oil that blows out the PCV system going into a reservoir ( their version of a catch can) built into one of the valve covers. When it is full, it simply overflows back into the engine with all the water, contaminants etc. that have accumulated. So.. I figure if it's good enough for Ford EcoBoost engines, it's good enough for my GM cars.
The reservoir built into the valve cover is at engine temperature. Measure the temperature of one of your external catch cans and you will find it is far cooler than the engine.

Quick Reply: Catch Can necessary?