C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 10:56 AM
Damian M
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Oil change advice needed.

Hi corvette owners, I am a new owner of a C7, I love this car, I am a former e90 M3 owner, I really enjoy reading all your postings, I have learned so much for everyone on this site. I am getting ready for my first oil change, I bought my vette at MacMulkin in Nashua, which is about an hour away from me, there is another chevy place that is 15 minutes away from me and would be faster and easier with my schedule to have them do the oil change, they only sell 5 or 6 vettes a year. I called them and spoke to the service manager, I asked him if they had a corvette tech on staff, he said they did, I asked him if they use Mobil1 he said they did, I asked him if an appointment is needed for an oil change, he said no it is a first come first serve basis. One of the salesman I spoke to earlier thought I was crazy to request the corvette tech to do the oil change, he told me they only have him work on the more difficult jobs and not simple oil changes, I told him I was very uncomfortable letting just any guy in their shop change the oil. What do you think guys, am I being over the top requesting the corvette tech for the oil change? I could use your advice/opinions especially veteran vette guys, should I let them change the oil or should I just suck it up and drive an hour each way to change the oil MacMulkin? Thank you for your help.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:57 AM
sycraft
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

See if they will let you watch, also if the Dealer has a "pit" then no worries about lift damage
Old 04-23-2015, 11:02 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

You do not say if you have the dry sump engine, but if you have the base Stingray, anyone in the shop should be able to make the oil change. Personally, I do all my own oil changes, even if they are free at the dealer.

You might want to check ahead to see if the dealer has a drive on lift, or a two post lift with swing arms.
You also need to invest in a set of lifting pucks in case the dealer does not have any, or if you want to use a floor jack yourself.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 04-23-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:33 AM
Damian M
Instructor

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
You do not say if you have the dry sump engine, but if you have the base Stingray, anyone in the shop should be able to make the oil change. Personally, I do all my own oil changes, even if they are free at the dealer.

You might want to check ahead to see if the dealer has a drive on lift, or a two post lift with swing arms.
You also need to invest in a set of lifting pucks in case the dealer does not have any, or if you want to use a floor jack yourself.
Sorry for the oversight, it is a z51 package, with the dry sump system. This is what concerns me, if a tech who doesn't know the car drives it on a lift, they could cause some serious damage, also, with the dry sump, there are specific procedures on how to change and check the levels.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:47 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Yes to both your questions. But just ask the service manager if the person changing your oil has worked on corvettes in the past. After all lifting a C7 is no different then the last 2 generations.....exact same process. Certainly they have changed oil in a Corvette the last 18 years.

Z51 has two drain plugs. If they don't drain both and add the standard amount of oil it can be overfilled. That's the only different with the engine oil change.

I'd think as long as they say yes we know how to change dry stump you are good. Of course you do plan to check your oil levels when you get the car back???
Old 04-23-2015, 02:17 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Dealerships usually only have one guy that does oil changes, ask him if he has ever changed the oil on a dry sump system, I'm sure he has at some time.

Make sure he fills the new filter and knows the correct amount of oil to put back in it.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:08 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

Why not show them the page in the manual that has the diagram for the two oil drain plugs?

And also advise to fill with only 9 qts. and send you home with the 10th. Proper Z51 fill is 9.8qts, but to avoid overfill, add your own to ~9.3-9.5qts and mid-way on the dipstick hash marks. Use PROPER technique when checking.

It's all in the manual...

Proper drain:

Proper fill location & check procedure:

Proper location on dipstick (in most opinions):

Old 04-23-2015, 11:22 PM
Damian M
Instructor

Thank you everyone for all your great input, I really enjoy this site and find it so helpful; thank you for sharing your knowledge with everyone!

Get notified of new replies

To Oil change advice needed.

Quick Reply: Oil change advice needed.