C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake Manifold Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 11:17 AM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

Default Intake Manifold Inspection

The throttle plate on the StingRay does not have external linkage. Is it OK to simply push the throttle plate open to look into the intake manifold and for cleaning the throttle body and plate?

Is there a way to hold the throttle wide open to facilitate the view and cleaning?
Old 04-23-2015, 01:09 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by vettetwo
The throttle plate on the StingRay does not have external linkage. Is it OK to simply push the throttle plate open to look into the intake manifold and for cleaning the throttle body and plate?

Is there a way to hold the throttle wide open to facilitate the view and cleaning?
yes you can push it open.

if you want to hold it open i usually use six short bolts stacked on top of each other balanced carefully.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:10 PM
sahlbom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's easier to just remove the TB. Unplug the connector, remove 4 bolts with 10mm socket. This gives you MUCH better access.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:12 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by sahlbom
It's easier to just remove the TB. Unplug the connector, remove 4 bolts with 10mm socket. This gives you MUCH better access.
WAY easier than propping butterfly open.

There is a locking tab on the TB wire harness connector that you need to slide to unlatch before pulling the connector off.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:13 PM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by sahlbom
Do you need to replace a gasket where the throttle body attaches to the intake manifold?
Old 04-23-2015, 05:16 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

Do you need to replace a gasket where the throttle body attaches to the intake manifold?
Not unless you're really rigorous. I had my TB off and on 10+ times during my TB testing and the seal was as perky as the first time I removed it. It's a $3 green rubber o-ring if you decide to replace it.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:42 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
yes you can push it open.

if you want to hold it open i usually use six short bolts stacked on top of each other balanced carefully.

I need 7 bolts stacked diagonally, but maybe my bolts are slightly a different size or material.

There is an easier way to inspect your Intake for oil... Install 4 explosive bolts on your TB. The powder from the bolt explosion will stick to the oil and make it very visible when you shine a flashlight into the intake.

Get notified of new replies

To Intake Manifold Inspection

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Inspection