C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Mode vs. Track Mode. Difference?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 02:04 PM
Z51VetteDriver
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sport Mode vs. Track Mode. Difference?

Hello all.

I have a 2015 Z51. I read the manual but it is pretty vague when answering my question which is...

With my Z51, what is the difference(s) when driving it in the "Sport" mode compared to driving it in the "Track" mode?

Any help on answering this would be very appreciative!

Thanks guys...

Cheers!!!
Old 04-24-2015, 04:25 PM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

There's a significant difference. Do this. Put it Track Mode (Tr). Press the traction control button twice.(Center of mode selection ****). This turns off traction control. You should see five different sub modes appear on your center electronic display (Wet, Dry, Sport 1, Sport 2, Race). If they don't appear, press the center button again two times (sometimes it's a little finicky about the time interval between the presses).

Once you get these PTM sub-modes displayed, you select them by twisting the mode selector ****. As you work your way up through the PTM sub-modes more nannies come off and things tighten up. Careful as you experiment with the effect. Traction control is off. At Sport 2, Active Handling is off. At Race, you're on your own with 460 HP.

Of course, it is also possible to drive it Track Mode with the traction control still on, just by dialing to "Tr" and leaving it there. (no pushes on center button) The differences from Sport are more subtle, but still there. I notice it most in the steering response

Last edited by Magister Ludi; 04-24-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:02 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

He might not have Magnetic Ride Control.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:02 PM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Willis
He might not have Magnetic Ride Control.
Good point. Mine does. That's the limit of my experience.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:11 PM
CDH76
Safety Car

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Magister Ludi
Good point. Mine does. That's the limit of my experience.
Ok I was wondering what that last part was you mentioned. I do not have MRC either and I can only put it in track mode and then competitive mode.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:40 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51VetteDriver
Hello all.

I have a 2015 Z51. I read the manual but it is pretty vague when answering my question which is...

With my Z51, what is the difference(s) when driving it in the "Sport" mode compared to driving it in the "Track" mode?

Any help on answering this would be very appreciative!

Thanks guys...

Cheers!!!

it's detailed in the owners manual. if you lost it check Chevrolet.com

basically the throttle response, steering feel and, if you have an automatic, shift characteristics and if you have NPP exhaust flow/sound.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:29 AM
Z51VetteDriver
Intermediate

Thanks for all your answers.

And I don't believe I have MRC either because I have never seen the "Wet, Dry, Sport 1, Sport 2, Race" modes.
It just goes from traction control off, then pressing it the second time goes to competitive mode.
Lately I just like driving it in Track mode. More fun!

I mean, it's a VETTE, right! Take advantage of it! LOL!!!
(An acquaintance of mine has a new 2015 Vette and always drives it in "Economy" mode? I always ask him WHY he bought a Vette then. Should have bought a Toyota Prius! LMAO!!!!!! )

Thanks again guys!!!

Cheers!!!
Old 04-25-2015, 11:31 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

I have found that if I leave my Z51 in economy mode in my driveway with the engine off, that my gas mileage is nearly infinite....

So... there are other modes????? Only on the road!

VY Garage Queen!

I have magnetic ride. Big difference between E+T and S or Track. Much stiffer ride and very heavy steering.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:59 AM
marcouvo
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I didn't notice much difference in gas consumption in Eco mode.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:33 AM
Z51VetteDriver
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EcoBrick Bob
I have found that if I leave my Z51 in economy mode in my driveway with the engine off, that my gas mileage is nearly infinite....

LMAO!!!!!
Old 04-27-2015, 08:57 AM
firefighting101
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I leave it in Sport mode. I would leave it in Track, but it won't stick after restarting the car. I don't want to have to switch modes when I get in the car.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:01 AM
Z51VetteDriver
Intermediate

Originally Posted by firefighting101
I leave it in Sport mode. I would leave it in Track, but it won't stick after restarting the car. I don't want to have to switch modes when I get in the car.
Good point. In "Track" mode, mine ALWAYS goes back to the "Tour" mode.
ARGHHHHH!!!!!!!

I wonder if there is a way to get it to stay in Track mode?
Old 04-27-2015, 11:41 AM
VThokies
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

In track mode with a non-MRC car, push the center console button twice and it goes to competitive mode, as you already know. Or push and hold the button down, traction control and stability control will both turn off. But don't hold it to long as they will both turn back on again. Just push and hold until you see both amber lights come on, and then release it. In sport mode you cannot turn both off.
The following users liked this post:
rvan (10-06-2018)
Old 04-27-2015, 11:55 AM
Nitemare9
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Magister Ludi
There's a significant difference. Do this. Put it Track Mode (Tr). Press the traction control button twice.(Center of mode selection ****). This turns off traction control. You should see five different sub modes appear on your center electronic display (Wet, Dry, Sport 1, Sport 2, Race). If they don't appear, press the center button again two times (sometimes it's a little finicky about the time interval between the presses).

Once you get these PTM sub-modes displayed, you select them by twisting the mode selector ****. As you work your way up through the PTM sub-modes more nannies come off and things tighten up. Careful as you experiment with the effect. Traction control is off. At Sport 2, Active Handling is off. At Race, you're on your own with 460 HP.

Of course, it is also possible to drive it Track Mode with the traction control still on, just by dialing to "Tr" and leaving it there. (no pushes on center button) The differences from Sport are more subtle, but still there. I notice it most in the steering response
Dummie here. Does the Z06 come with MRC and all those settings. I know, read the manual. My wife does all the manual reading as I don't have the patience to read most of it and she usually doesn't understand my questions. BTW I repair computers as a business.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:14 PM
Z51VetteDriver
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nitemare9
Dummie here. Does the Z06 come with MRC and all those settings. I know, read the manual. My wife does all the manual reading as I don't have the patience to read most of it and she usually doesn't understand my questions. BTW I repair computers as a business.

Not sure about that Z06, but I do know that the manual is VERY vague about this stuff. It's not very detailed at all. Neither is Chevrolet.com.

That is why I come here.

Get notified of new replies

To Sport Mode vs. Track Mode. Difference?

Quick Reply: Sport Mode vs. Track Mode. Difference?