C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Akrapovic exhaust... Any updates ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 08:59 PM
kiley2418
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Akrapovic exhaust... Any updates ?

Does anyone know if the akrapovic exhaust is availible yet or know when it will be?
Old 05-04-2015, 08:02 PM
arturox2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Here is an email they sent me on 5 Jan 2015 when I asked about their Z06 exhaust system.

From car.sales@akrapovic.com:

"We currently do not have a system for the 2015 Z06. It is in development and should be available sometime in June of this year."

Michael Larkin
Division Manager

Akrapovič America LLC
3200 Park Center Drive Suite 380
Costa Mesa, California 92626
USA

t: +714-954-2480
f: +949-485-6683
e: michael.larkin@akrapovic.com
w: www.akrapovic.com

Last edited by arturox2; 05-04-2015 at 08:38 PM. Reason: added Akrapovic contact info
Old 05-04-2015, 08:05 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Ugh... That's a year's delay from the last official update. I'm sure it's coming, but they're not really re-inventing the wheel here.

I've been holding out for this, as Ak has always had primo stuff... but this has really begun to drag on and on.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:20 PM
arturox2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I will send another email inquiry to follow up. If they have the system next month, that won't be too long a wait, right?
Old 05-04-2015, 08:26 PM
kiley2418
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys!!! And yes I'm torn between going with the corsa or holding out for the ak!!
Old 05-04-2015, 08:37 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by arturox2
I will send another email inquiry to follow up. If they have the system next month, that won't be too long a wait, right?
You're right - I'm just hoping it doesn't turn into another Borla situation (no offense to Borla - I actually love their system) of 'coming next month' for a year.

We're seeing a lot of the boutique exhausts being released in the last month, but it's a bit odd that we've not seen any teaser pics like they usually post.

The most important aspect will be the valves they're using - there have been some rumblings that the factory valves are not being used for the rear valves. Let's hope that's not the case.

There is one vendor here that does have a decent relationship with the NA distributor - I'll see if he has any more info.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:39 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by kiley2418
Thanks guys!!! And yes I'm torn between going with the corsa or holding out for the ak!!
I love the Corsa, but I wish they'd listen to the demand for an NPP version. No luck thus far.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:01 PM
kiley2418
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Theta
I love the Corsa, but I wish they'd listen to the demand for an NPP version. No luck thus far.
My thoughts exactly!! That's the only reason I haven't ordered the corsa myself.. I like being able to tone the exhaust note back a bit when needed. For stock motors the corsa is fine!!! But with built strokers, cams and headers etc the corsa gets extremely loud!!! Atleast my cars from the past did..
Old 05-05-2015, 08:35 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I absolutely love my Corsa Xtreme.

And the Borla ordeal was worse... They were playing the "2 more weeks" game for 8 months...
Old 05-05-2015, 08:38 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Motohead279
I absolutely love my Corsa Xtreme.

And the Borla ordeal was worse... They were playing the "2 more weeks" game for 8 months...
You have a point - I guess Akrapovic only stated a 2014 release a few different times. That being said, I hope it's been worth the wait.

I really, really want the Corsa sound, but absolutely need NPP. Perhaps I can fabricate something using a Corsa muffler single-in-dual-out.

I know (well, based on previous products) the Akrapovic sound will be higher-pitched than the NPP, which I've been wanting... Just have to wait it out a little longer.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:00 PM
Wormwood
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Guys, I've been playing this waiting game with AK too long as well. I've got to find something now...

I don't have FI, cam, headers or anything, & all I'm trying to accomplish is to drown out that, "tick, tick, tick..." from the DI. I have the NPP but it's pointless, I have the exhaust opened all the time & to me, the exhaust is lacking from idle to "Performance Shifting Active".

If it was loud enough when open that it'd make me want to close the NPP at night or while in my neighborhood, I'd be ecstatic! It's a Corvette for God sake!?!? People expect it to be rumble at idle & loud the rest of the time!! at least not a, "hissssss, tick, tick, tick..."

Has anyone considered a bi modal mod to the Corsa system?

Is there any other candidates?

I remember an Australian company made a bimodal muffler some time ago, I can't remember the name but you get the idea, has anyone tried anything except waiting? Compared to some of these other performance tuning choices, exhaust is a cheap area to experiment with.

Thanks,
Wormwood
Old 05-05-2015, 10:34 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Wormwood
Guys, I've been playing this waiting game with AK too long as well. I've got to find something now...

I don't have FI, cam, headers or anything, & all I'm trying to accomplish is to drown out that, "tick, tick, tick..." from the DI. I have the NPP but it's pointless, I have the exhaust opened all the time & to me, the exhaust is lacking from idle to "Performance Shifting Active".

If it was loud enough when open that it'd make me want to close the NPP at night or while in my neighborhood, I'd be ecstatic! It's a Corvette for God sake!?!? People expect it to be rumble at idle & loud the rest of the time!! at least not a, "hissssss, tick, tick, tick..."

Has anyone considered a bi modal mod to the Corsa system?

Is there any other candidates?

I remember an Australian company made a bimodal muffler some time ago, I can't remember the name but you get the idea, has anyone tried anything except waiting? Compared to some of these other performance tuning choices, exhaust is a cheap area to experiment with.

Thanks,
Wormwood
I would suggest starting with an X-pipe swap to get rid of the secondary (post-sensor) cats. This will give you a good deal more sound.

I assure you the NPP system can be loud. We've measured up to 126dBA weighted @ 1m from mine, but that's with one or two mods...
Old 05-05-2015, 10:55 PM
MrGTC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a '15 Z51. Last weekend, I installed an AFE CAI and Corsa X pipe. Both are definitely worth the money. I rarely hear the tick anymore. When I drive my car in touring mode, I hear the suction of the intake. When I have it in sport or track, I hear the exhaust and x pipe. Go this route and I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:39 AM
arturox2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received response today:
----------------------------------
Hi arturox2,

Thank you for the follow up. Lasted update from the factory is that they will start shipping to us the middle of June for the Stingray. I have no update yet on the Z06. Should have more detailed information around this time next month. Also I have some clarification, the tips are newly developed for this system and will only be available in carbon. I have no pictures as of yet but they also should be up on the website around the same time.

Thank you and Have A Great Day!!

Michael Larkin
Division Manager

Akrapovič America LLC
USA

m.+949-439-9749
Old 05-06-2015, 11:38 AM
kiley2418
Burning Brakes

Received response today:
----------------------------------
Hi arturox2,

Thank you for the follow up. Lasted update from the factory is that they will start shipping to us the middle of June for the Stingray. I have no update yet on the Z06. Should have more detailed information around this time next month. Also I have some clarification, the tips are newly developed for this system and will only be available in carbon. I have no pictures as of yet but they also should be up on the website around the same time.

Thank you and Have A Great Day!!

Michael Larkin
Division Manager

Akrapovič America LLC
USA

m.+949-439-9749

Well hopefully by July!!! Thanks!
Old 05-07-2015, 02:30 PM
David Borla
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Theta
You're right - I'm just hoping it doesn't turn into another Borla situation (no offense to Borla - I actually love their system) of 'coming next month' for a year.
Guilty as charged! The parts are available for sale now and have been for some time. Not pleased with how long it took us but the end result is really good.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:17 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by David Borla
Guilty as charged! The parts are available for sale now and have been for some time. Not pleased with how long it took us but the end result is really good.
No offense was intended, David. If we would have known how many different part numbers (excluding tip changes) you guys were working on, it would have made more sense at the time.

I still need to find out if I can get prism tips in black (they weren't ready a while back), but I'll leave that for a PM or phone call.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:19 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Received response today:
Also I have some clarification, the tips are newly developed for this system and will only be available in carbon.
This sounds both interesting and expensive. I wonder if they're deviating from the quad-rounds...
Old 05-08-2015, 03:27 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 307 Posts

I would love it if Akrapovic came out with a full Evolution Titanium exhaust from the headers back...I'm sure it would be expensive but they know how to make an exhaust on a whole different level. I've had their full system on my Aprilia RSV-4 and the sound was to die for, definitely the single best sounding motorcycle engine ever.

If not I will certainly be in line for the cat back system and probable X-pipe.

Get notified of new replies

To Akrapovic exhaust... Any updates ?

Quick Reply: Akrapovic exhaust... Any updates ?