C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla catless X-pipe with stock NPP exhaust before and after clips

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 03:09 AM
jfinkow
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just ordered the Borla 60547. Can't wait!

I called my dealer first to ask about the warranty impact. He said that the only impact is the Borla part itself not being covered. He went on to say that the dealer even replaced the NPP butterfly valves under warranty on a car with a Borla x-pipe. However, it's a one-time deal. Should that go out again, no warranty.

He then clarified that everything from the engine up to the x-pipe is covered under warranty, and everything from the end of that x-pipe to the exhaust tips is covered under warranty. At least one time, anyway.

He said that the dealer will even install the x-pipe. Wow! How much? $300. Well...
Old 02-05-2016, 07:09 AM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 122 Posts

I still haven't put mine one due to cold but it really looks like a pretty easy install. I think the hardest part will be putting the jack stands in the right place!
The following users liked this post:
MeHeartCorvettes (02-06-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 05:12 PM
Kayir
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

the install on a lift isn't bad. . .the pipes DO take some real pulling and back and forth to really pull off and put on. . .but a little elbow grease is all it takes with 2 or 3 people to do it right. but definitely a DIY job.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:37 AM
C7 x 2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

Done this twice now. On a '14 Stingray & '16 Z06. A couple of tips. Go to Auto Zone and rent/borrow the 3" exhaust pipe expander. They charge a $40 deposit here but refund it when you bring it back within 90 days.The Borla pipes are a tight when trying slip them over the over-the-axle pipes. If you expand them just a little they slip all the way on pretty easily. I also made sure there were no burrs on either of the ends that slip together. If there are file them off. I also put a thin coat of grease on the inside of the x-pipe and outside of the over the axle pipe. Make sure you get them as far together as you can or things will bet real tight when you try to mate the front of the x-pipe back up to the down pipe. Took my time on the 2nd set and it took about an hour. You'll love the sound.
jfinkow (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 12:13 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by C7 x 2
Done this twice now. On a '14 Stingray & '16 Z06. A couple of tips. Go to Auto Zone and rent/borrow the 3" exhaust pipe expander. They charge a $40 deposit here but refund it when you bring it back within 90 days.The Borla pipes are a tight when trying slip them over the over-the-axle pipes. If you expand them just a little they slip all the way on pretty easily. I also made sure there were no burrs on either of the ends that slip together. If there are file them off. I also put a thin coat of grease on the inside of the x-pipe and outside of the over the axle pipe. Make sure you get them as far together as you can or things will bet real tight when you try to mate the front of the x-pipe back up to the down pipe. Took my time on the 2nd set and it took about an hour. You'll love the sound.
Thanks for the advice.

Been under my C4,5,& 6 and pulled/installed headers and exhaust in the past. I'll be hitting the joints and nuts/bolts with some Blaster a day ahead of time to hopefully avoid issues or make things easier.

On the C7 are the mufflers an issue, i.e. when they are hanging loose do they move around a lot needing some protection or support where the tips protrude through the rear fascia? Just want to understand as much ahead of time as I can. If I can pull the exhaust, rear cradle, pumpkin/tranny and torque tube on my C5 (on jack stands) this should be easy, right? ; )
Old 02-06-2016, 01:34 PM
C7 x 2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticWhiteZ51
Thanks for the advice.

Been under my C4,5,& 6 and pulled/installed headers and exhaust in the past. I'll be hitting the joints and nuts/bolts with some Blaster a day ahead of time to hopefully avoid issues or make things easier.

On the C7 are the mufflers an issue, i.e. when they are hanging loose do they move around a lot needing some protection or support where the tips protrude through the rear fascia? Just want to understand as much ahead of time as I can. If I can pull the exhaust, rear cradle, pumpkin/tranny and torque tube on my C5 (on jack stands) this should be easy, right? ; )

The mufflers are not an issue. The mufflers are bolted down and they have their own hangers.

You want to loosen the rear clamps, spray Blaster on the joint, remove the 2 bolts that hold the rear hangerr to the car, go up front & remove the nuts from the x-pipe then let the front drop. Don't mess up the donut gaskets. I removed them at this point just to make sure the didn't get damaged. This gives you room to wiggle the front up & down, side to side and it should separate from the rear. If doing this by yourself, as I did, put something on the floor under the pipes at the rear, I used a rubber mat to soften the landing when it drops.

You will also want the mufflers loose and hanging so you can wiggle the new pipe on. There are some little nubbins on the over-the-axle pipe. Look at those before you remove the stock x-pipe and see how much space is between the end of the x-pipe and the nubbins. You want to try and get the new x-pipe as close to those nubbins as possible. Don't forget to put the Borla clamps over the ends of the x-pipe before you join the 2 together and don't tighten the clamps until you reattach the front of the x-pipe to the down pipes. On both of my cars I had to use a little force to get both ends of the x-pipe to line up with both down pipes. I have a clamp that also works as a spreader so I put both bolts thru on one pipe then pushed the whole thing over with the spreader until the holes lined up on the other pipes to get those 2 bolts started. I tightened those 4 bolts then moved back to the rear.

You should have moved the rear hanger from the original x-pipe to the new one. Re-bolt the hanger to the bottom of the car. That gets everything realigned for the next & last step.

I used a short piece of wood, 2x4 about 16" long, and wedged it between the bend on the over the axle pipe and the rear axle. I then pushed on the end of the 2x4 and/or tapped it with a mallet to force the 2 pipes together as far as I could. Check the space between the nubbins and the end of the x-pipe. I was able to get mine closer together than the factory did. Tighten the clamp. Did this for both pipes.

Torque everything down, reinstall the tunnel brace and you're done. Enjoy a little more noise.
jfinkow (02-07-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 04:15 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Thanks
Old 02-08-2016, 11:06 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Done. Sounds nice! I was already running with the fuse pulled and this x-pipe gives it a little more bite / growl. Not too loud which is nice, of course that is subjective to everyone. My H/C, headers...... C5 was a monster and my C6 had long tubes with high flow cats so I've been there done that. This is fairly subtle but can get pretty nasty if she wants. Very nice compromise. Guess I'm getting a little more conservative in my old age (51).

Started at 5:30 and finished at 8:30. Stopped for dinner. Took my time. Takes about 15-20 just to get her on ramps and jack stands. Spent at least 20mins messing with the stupid conical gaskets at the down pipe. One of the x-pipes wasn't round round enough for it to just slip on. Messed with it for a while and gave up and then slightly tapped on it with a rubber mallet. That worked. The four screws provided for down pipe connection should be about 5mm longer. Sucked getting several of those started. Overall, easy mod for those that have worked on exhaust systems and can get the car in the air. Oh, and I will be sore for several days. ; )

Lastly, thanks to MarylandSpeed for great pricing. Give them a call.

Last edited by SnowyATX; 02-09-2016 at 11:22 AM.
jfinkow (02-09-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 09:19 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,710 Likes on 2,918 Posts

More Borla X-pipe videos! My friend took these on my phone for me last weekend.

2014 Z51, ported/coated exhaust manifolds, stock primary cats, Borla X-pipe, & NPP.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:41 AM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
More Borla X-pipe videos! My friend took these on my phone for me last weekend.

2014 Z51, ported/coated exhaust manifolds, stock primary cats, Borla X-pipe, & NPP.

https://youtu.be/uBe69DzaYw8

https://youtu.be/z4MudvqtPr4
for the Volt. Oh car sounds good too... Think I need to order one.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:42 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,710 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Originally Posted by SK360
for the Volt.
Love that car, perfect DD/commuter.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:47 AM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
Love that car, perfect DD/commuter.
Yes yes it is
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2016, 12:54 PM
John6l6
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

VV Club - Volts & Vettes

Originally Posted by SK360
Yes yes it is
Old 07-21-2016, 12:55 PM
John6l6
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Thank you for this. Been looking for a good video.

Originally Posted by Kayir
So I just installed my Borla Catless X pipe with the stock NPP exhaust on my 2014 C7. Fairly easy install. Definitely can be done with a lift and two people. The sound is absolutely noticeable and just adds a little more volume and a little more throatiness to the stock NPP without being TOO obnoxious for the neighbors. I shot a little before and after vids for your viewing pleasure and to better document (haven't seen a true before and after) . . .oh and it's weird but you can FEEL the different in lack of back pressure. . .almost like the exhaust is sucking on the engine now. . .I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edbt...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzpY...ature=youtu.be
Tron1 (07-24-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 06:05 PM
0MarylandSpeed
Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds great!

We sell these systems. if anyone is looking for one give us a call. We always have packages or other promos going!

http://marylandspeed.com/xpipes-c-2102_2107_2164.html

Last edited by MarylandSpeed; 07-23-2016 at 06:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Borla catless X-pipe with stock NPP exhaust before and after clips