C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla catless X-pipe with stock NPP exhaust before and after clips

Old 04-26-2015, 02:50 PM
Kayir
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Borla catless X-pipe with stock NPP exhaust before and after clips

So I just installed my Borla Catless X pipe with the stock NPP exhaust on my 2014 C7. Fairly easy install. Definitely can be done with a lift and two people. The sound is absolutely noticeable and just adds a little more volume and a little more throatiness to the stock NPP without being TOO obnoxious for the neighbors. I shot a little before and after vids for your viewing pleasure and to better document (haven't seen a true before and after) . . .oh and it's weird but you can FEEL the different in lack of back pressure. . .almost like the exhaust is sucking on the engine now. . .I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edbt...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzpY...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-26-2015, 04:18 PM
SharkGrayStingray
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

sounds much nicer. I still love my corsa xtreme and double helix though But i also didn't buy the NPP because i knew i would install an aftermarket exhaust soon after...
Old 04-26-2015, 04:24 PM
Jack Be Quick Racing
Pro

Location: Detroit area and Nashville area What day is it? Between MI & TN
Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

yep, catless x or double helix is a nice add to the NPP.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:27 PM
sycraft
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Glad you liked it, it is a great pipe. Thanks
Old 04-28-2015, 06:38 AM
slesher
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Once you go catless you never go back! Sounds great
Old 04-28-2015, 08:17 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 294 Likes on 216 Posts

Seeing as the car already has an x pipe, has anyone just cut off the second cats and replaced with a small section of exhaust pipe? Seems like it'd do the same thing at a LOT less money.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:47 PM
Kayir
Racer

I'm sure someone has, but honestly for one, I don't know if it'd be that much cheaper to pay a shop to do that (I installed this one myself with a friend) and for two, the stock one is an x, but it has a lot more bends. The aftermarket one is much straighter so I'm sure there's some difference. Having driven this thing now a couple days I can tell you it sounds amazing. Louder, meaner and when you get on it it sounds downright violent!
Old 10-01-2015, 12:42 AM
neilvosko
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not just remove the stock cats ?
Old 10-01-2015, 09:08 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,897 Posts

Originally Posted by 6Speeder
Seeing as the car already has an x pipe, has anyone just cut off the second cats and replaced with a small section of exhaust pipe? Seems like it'd do the same thing at a LOT less money.
Originally Posted by neilvosko
why not just remove the stock cats ?
That would work fine if you have access to the tubing (would need a slight bend or angle cuts), saw, and a welder. For the rest of us DIY in the garage guys, a simple bolt-on part makes more sense.

Here is my review of the stock vs. Borla vs. Corsa X-pipes, which includes side-by-side pictures and data:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-vs-corsa.html
Originally Posted by Kracka
After reading a thread on here about adding an aftermarket X-pipe to an otherwise stock exhasut system (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...stock-npp.html) I decided to start looking into it further. There aren't many options on the market yet, but I picked up what is currently the most popular (Corsa Double Helixx) plus another that I think will also prove effective and popular (Borla part #60547) to compare them side-by-side with the stock X-pipe and ultimately decide which, if any, to install on my car (2014 Z51 w/NPP). Until now, my exhaust system was 100% stock. Due to a past history of going overboard on modding my street vehicles, when I ordered this car last winter I promised myself I'd take it slow and only add modifications that don't have any drawbacks to drivability and livability, plus remain somewhat emissions and hopefully warranty friendly. It's not my DD car, but I do take it on quite a few roadtrips, dinner on the weekends, etc. in addition to performance driving orientated events

Stock exhaust specs
-catted downpipes: 3.0" outlets
-X-pipe: 3.0" inlets w/3" cats*, reduces to 2.75" immediately post-cats, single 2.75" X-crossover, expands to 2.875" at the outlets to slip over the axle-back pipes
-NPP axle-back: 2.75" inlets

The stock X-pipe weighs in at 22.6 lbs, which includes the clamps (welded on) so for comparison sake I'll subtract 1 lb. and call the stock X-pipe to be an equivalent of 21.6 lbs.

*The factory X-pipe cats are not monitored so they can be removed without throwing any check engine lights or error codes.

Borla X-pipe specs
-3.0" inlets, smooth taper to 2.75" after the inlet flange
-2.75" piping with the exception of the in/outlets
-single 2.75" X-crossover
-explands to 2.875" at the outlet to slip over the factory axle-back.
-15.8 lbs for a savings of 5.8 lbs vs. stock

Corsa Double Helixx X-pipe specs
-3.0" inlet
-3.0" piping
-two 3.0" X-crossovers
-3.0" outlet (I noticed that this has to basically be crushed to securely clamp over the stock axle-back pipes, not ideal in my opinion as it seems prone to leaks and internal turbulence)
-19.6 lbs for a savings of 2.0 lbs vs. stock (Corsa claims a 2 lbs weight savings so my measurements confirm this)

Corsa (top) vs. Borla (bottom):

Borla (top) vs. Corsa (bottom):

Stock/Borla/Corsa:

Corsa/Borla/stock:

Stock impressions
For factory exhaust piping, it is very nice in design with decent welds, bends, and transitions. If it wasn't for the cats, I'd probably say it wouldn't be worth the bother to replace unless you wanted to be very particular about some of the bends having a slight crush to them.

Borla impressions
This is a very nice pipe, I feel this is what the stock pipe could have been like if manufacturing costs weren't a concern as it has smoother bends than the factory pipe with no crush to them at all. It is similar in design to stock and follows the stock pipe routing almost exactly. One benefit to that is how it looks nearly factory once installed and partially hidden by the stock tunnel brace. Unless a trained eye knows exactly what they're looking for, I can see this pipe flying under the radar when it comes to warranty claims.

Corsa impressions
This pipe is a beast, it's large and heavy, but seemingly designed for excellent flow (Corsa claims +20% compared to stock). This pipe has the fewest and smoothest bends of the three so that is a plus in my book. The double X does change the tone of the exhaust; some say it makes the car sound more exotic or European vs. the throaty rumble of an American V8. I do wonder if it adds unneeded internal turbulence though? This pipe seems to be the most popular on the market right now, but my guess is that's because it was the first one to become widely available and the fact it's straight 3.0" in design.

My conclusion
I decided to keep the Borla X-pipe on my car. I like the design of it, the weight savings, and it's somewhat stock appearance. Considering the NPP axle-back is also 2.75" in diameter I do not feel I'm giving anything up in regards to the Borla 2.75" vs. Corsa 3.0", but that is just my somewhat experienced guess. The exhaust tone sounds similar to stock, just a bit louder and sharper with the removal of two catalytic converters. They all install very easily with simple hand tools, 1 jack, and 1 jackstand. I'd suggest a 3/8" drive ratchet with an extension or two, sockets in the 13-18mm range, a 15mm wrench (ratcheting if you have it to speed things up), a flat head screwdriver for prying off the gaskets and rubber hangar, and a hammer to pound the gaskets on to the new pipe. You can just jack up one side of the car; I jacked up from the passenger side rear point (just in front of the rear wheel) and put the stand under the passenger side front point (just behind the front wheel).
Old 10-04-2015, 10:08 PM
neilvosko
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for some of us "city slickers" with no access to garage, we would have to pay the exhaust shop and hour of labor to replace the aftermarket part anyway.....on a 60K+ car its not a matter of cost but practicality, and to maintain that "rumble" i would much rather keep the single X pipe setup......

...i also wonder if added x pipe just "smoothed" out the exhust abit too much and you loose the burple and agreesive V8 ?

thanks for all your input.

Originally Posted by Kracka
That would work fine if you have access to the tubing (would need a slight bend or angle cuts), saw, and a welder. For the rest of us DIY in the garage guys, a simple bolt-on part makes more sense.

Here is my review of the stock vs. Borla vs. Corsa X-pipes, which includes side-by-side pictures and data:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-vs-corsa.html
Old 10-05-2015, 02:21 AM
nolove10s
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do aftermarket x-pipes void the warentee? Sorry for the dumb question, I have never owned a car under warentee before.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:31 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by nolove10s
Do aftermarket x-pipes void the warentee? Sorry for the dumb question, I have never owned a car under warentee before.
There are no guarantees anytime you start modifying a vehicle, but I've been in a few times and the dealership has never commented on my intake, X-pipe, or any other mods. I think it really just all depends on the dealership, the rep, what you're trying to get covered under warranty, etc.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:45 PM
97C5driver
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Wow that after clip sounds like more than "a little more volume". Is this the case or is the video deceiving? Any other mods on this car contributing to the sound ?

I'm also looking to get some volume increase while retaining the NPP.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:58 PM
Kayir
Racer

that clip was literally the FIRST startup after installation. I have an AFE intake and a stock exhaust otherwise so that's it. The sound has "broken in" since installation and while that first one was probably the loudest, it still sounds as amazing as that day. . .deep, gurgly, mean. . .the guys I drive with who have some insane cars (911s, 458, v10 R8) have desbribed the sound as "perfect" and I couldn't argue too much.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:55 PM
97C5driver
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Kayir
that clip was literally the FIRST startup after installation. I have an AFE intake and a stock exhaust otherwise so that's it. The sound has "broken in" since installation and while that first one was probably the loudest, it still sounds as amazing as that day. . .deep, gurgly, mean. . .the guys I drive with who have some insane cars (911s, 458, v10 R8) have desbribed the sound as "perfect" and I couldn't argue too much.
If you have anymore sound clips I'd sure be interested in hearing them.

Going straight pipe was my first plan as others have done here but I actually like the NPP. Sometimes that quietness comes in handy.

I also don't want to spend $$ on a full system so this is the next logical step.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:08 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

It's not the greatest, but here is a video of my car with the Borla X-pipe.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:11 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Here's another, unfortunately I was in Tour mode at the time, but you get the idea!

Get notified of new replies

To Borla catless X-pipe with stock NPP exhaust before and after clips

Old 01-23-2016, 11:33 AM
Kayir
Racer

There's a guy on here who recently posted a nice driving vid with a go pro after installing his borla. do a search and i'm sure you'll find it. I'm happy to take more vids if it helps anyone. . .unfortunately that won't be today as I'm in NY and currently under about 8 inches and a full on blizzard still going on. . .when things warm up a touch I'll try. . .or maybe out of boredom I'll go take one in the garage.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:34 AM
Kayir
Racer

here's that other video:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ipe-video.html
Old 01-23-2016, 03:43 PM
97C5driver
Melting Slicks

Yes seen that video as well however I'm not sure if that pro charger is adding volume to the exhaust note.

I did notice the guy on YouTube in your comments had the same pipe but his sounds pretty close to stock in all of his vids.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Borla catless X-pipe with stock NPP exhaust before and after clips