C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock 2015 C7 Z06 Dyno run

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 07:44 AM
Mike Grossman
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock 2015 C7 Z06 Dyno run

Hey guys, how are we looking as far as a stock Z06 pull goes? I hear the mustang dynos read low too, is this true?

Old 04-27-2015, 08:25 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Grossman
Hey guys, how are we looking as far as a stock Z06 pull goes? I hear the mustang dynos read low too, is this true?

Stock 2015 Corvette Z06 Dyno Run - YouTube
Welp, it's a lot lower than mine made stock on a Dynojet. Mine made 579 sae rwhp, and 618 sae rwtq.

Supposedly, a Mustang Dyno is more accurate, because you can set the correction factor for the correct car's weight, but that means you can set it where ever you want, giving different readings based on the operator. The dynojet is factory set, so (supposedly) they all will read the same. Most read pretty close to each other, using the sae correction factor.

I use the dyno readings to show how my mods add (or subtract ) horsepower. I dyno the car after every mod to keep track if the mods work. The key is to use the same dyno, set the same, every time.

I added the Halltech CKNZ and re-dyno'd, it made 624 sae rwhp and 618 sae rwtq, on the same dyno. That's a gain of 45rwhp and 25 rwtq. When I throw on the Innovators West overdrive crank pulley I'll dyno again.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:50 AM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Yes a mustang dyno will read lower than a Dynojet. A mustang dyno is more "accurate" but in reality each dyno is a little different and cars make different power in different air.

The only real use for a dyno is (as stated above) to compare before and after a change, dynos are very accurate for showing differences in hp from making modifications. Especially if each run is made in similar air conditions.

To use a dyno for an absolute number to compare to other cars on other dynos in other parts of the country is not very useful, there are way too many variables. It's just like running two cars at two different tracks on different days, that's not a useful/fair comparison at all. But we all still do it lol.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:49 AM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by 10mm_
Yes a mustang dyno will read lower than a Dynojet. A mustang dyno is more "accurate" but in reality each dyno is a little different and cars make different power in different air.

The only real use for a dyno is (as stated above) to compare before and after a change, dynos are very accurate for showing differences in hp from making modifications. Especially if each run is made in similar air conditions.

To use a dyno for an absolute number to compare to other cars on other dynos in other parts of the country is not very useful, there are way too many variables. It's just like running two cars at two different tracks on different days, that's not a useful/fair comparison at all. But we all still do it lol.
This.

The key is that the Mustang dyno must be setup correctly to get that more "accurate" numbers.

But as said, Mustang's read lower numbers but are considered to be closer to the "real" numbers. So almost always your "real" numbers will be somewhat higher than what a Mustang reads.

On the opposite end, Dynojets read higher than the "real" numbers.

I've seen around a 12% difference in the two in my past. Also from what I have seen, tuners prefer Mustang's because of the simulated load versus raw HP on a car with no resistance. But i'll let the tuners here confirm that or not.

If you were to use both on the same car, your numbers would be somewhere in the middle of the two, but closer to what the Mustang reads.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:47 AM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

My Z51 with a mild cam made 500whp on a Mustang Dyno. The shop shared with me that the numbers weren't that far off of what they saw with an Edelbrock E Force kit by comparison.

How hot was the car as well when you brought it in. If you were slugging through traffic and the motor was fairly hot than your results could be low.

Mustangs are not for show they are for real numbers for sure. It looks about right to me.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:40 PM
Tripleblk6spd
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I know I'm late to the discussion here, however what I can tell you is that a Mustang dyno is NOT more accurate. In fact, I would argue that the Dynojet is the most accurate dyno I have used in the 28 plus years I have been in this business. The Mustang uses a strain gauge (torque gauge) to determine power. Here is the problem (among other things like setup etc...)... torque is determined by gearing at the tire (final drive, trans gearing, tire size, etc..) A DynoJet uses inertia (as well as Eddy Current for load if you have the option). Horsepower is work over time...which is what your measuring, knowing engine rpm you can back calculate torque (what Dynojet does). If you want to try a little test, dyno your car in two different gears on a Mustang Dyno, you will get two different readings, you won't on a Dynojet. Here is what my C7 Z did on the Dyno. It also happens to agree with the weight of the vehicle and the trap speeds at the track!

Old 11-18-2016, 07:34 PM
LagunaSecaZ06
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

I am going to have my stock 2016 Z06 M7 dyno'd next week. What is the recommended test procedure-

4th gear
Hood open or closed?
What mode Sport, Track? Turn off all(7 second hold down on the button) nannies?
What correction factory? STD or SAE?
3 pulls or more?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Tripleblk6spd
I know I'm late to the discussion here, however what I can tell you is that a Mustang dyno is NOT more accurate. In fact, I would argue that the Dynojet is the most accurate dyno I have used in the 28 plus years I have been in this business. The Mustang uses a strain gauge (torque gauge) to determine power. Here is the problem (among other things like setup etc...)... torque is determined by gearing at the tire (final drive, trans gearing, tire size, etc..) A DynoJet uses inertia (as well as Eddy Current for load if you have the option). Horsepower is work over time...which is what your measuring, knowing engine rpm you can back calculate torque (what Dynojet does). If you want to try a little test, dyno your car in two different gears on a Mustang Dyno, you will get two different readings, you won't on a Dynojet. Here is what my C7 Z did on the Dyno. It also happens to agree with the weight of the vehicle and the trap speeds at the track!

https://youtu.be/S3kv75SHKCY
Old 11-22-2016, 01:52 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Just remember that dynos are tuning tools and only accurate against themselves, don't get too hung up in the numbers

Get notified of new replies

To Stock 2015 C7 Z06 Dyno run

Quick Reply: Stock 2015 C7 Z06 Dyno run