C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base Stingray air intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 12:37 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

Default Base Stingray air intake

What do those big plastic bulges in the intake housing do? Sound control? other than provide filtered air to the pcv hoses that come off each valve cover. When I look at a AFE CAI, that doesn't exist and is there still a place to plug in those valve cover breathers. Why not just put filtered breathers on the valve covers to remove those silly hoses.

One more thing, anyone experiencing a off idle slight hesitation or lazy tip in. This is with the stock intake track, no mods and only 400 miles on a 15 car.

Last edited by BJ67; 05-03-2015 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:37 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by BJ67
What do those big plastic bulges in the intake housing do? Sound control?
Bingo.

Why not just put filtered breathers on the valve covers to remove those silly hoses.
There are dozens of active threads (and hundreds of inactive threads now) discussing every facet of the PCV system with regard to catch cans and routing options. I will say that if you were to put breathers on those valve covers, you will be cleaning oil off of everything in your bay for a week, and replacing your fabric hood liner.

One more thing, anyone experiencing a off idle slight hesitation or lazy tip in. This is with the stock intake track, no mods and only 400 miles on a 15 car.
This is a commonality across all C7s. It's a sort of 'lazy pedal syndrome' inherent in drive-by-wire. The throttle response can be improved greatly with a tune, be it a full HPT dyno tune, Trifecta, or Diablo handheld.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:23 PM
sycraft
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

And, the PCV system is all "metered" air, if you were to just put breathers on, not only would you be cleaning your engine bay, but allowing unmetered air in your engine causing all types of potential driveabilty issues and environmental issues.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:20 PM
567Chev
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What do those big plastic bulges in the intake housing do?
Look super ugly
Old 05-03-2015, 10:59 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

I definitely had that issue. The cars drivetrain has gotten steadily more smooth with miles, now at 4750. The lazy tip has been completely gone for quite sometime.

Explanation? I don’t have one but the car is completely stock, no tune or engine changes. I’m all smiles. Don
Old 05-04-2015, 08:28 AM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by W88fixer
I definitely had that issue. The cars drivetrain has gotten steadily more smooth with miles, now at 4750. The lazy tip has been completely gone for quite sometime.

Explanation? I don’t have one but the car is completely stock, no tune or engine changes. I’m all smiles. Don
Thanks for your input, I have a very sensitive ear and feel for this stuff and I believe its more noticeable on a manual vs an auto trans.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:20 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by W88fixer

you are giving it more pedal.

it's amazing how the mind works, i really mean that. we can change the world just by changing our thoughts. my car runs faster and smoother every time I wash it. when it is dirty it is a rough running pos!!!

when it's clean i will swerve around bugs....get some dirt on the windshield and I will cut through the ditch to save 30 seconds!
Old 05-04-2015, 03:24 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
when it is dirty it is a rough running pos!!!
Well, I mean... there's the added drag from the bug carcasses and peaks/ridges of dirt molecules...
Old 05-04-2015, 03:36 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by Theta
Well, I mean... there's the added drag from the bug carcasses and peaks/ridges of dirt molecules...
if you get enough maybe it's like a golf ball!
Old 05-04-2015, 03:37 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
if you get enough maybe it's like a golf ball!
Speed holes.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:28 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I have a different opinion------I am running BREATHERS on both of the valve covers and have capped off those 2 lines on my AFE CAI-- NO there is "0" oil being sprayed in the engine bay --totally dry---And the PCV system works far better as there is no restriction in the PCV inlet tract---I also have a UPR catch can---last check the intake manifold was completely DRY inside----NO oil or oil residue----Yes in stock trim the PCV air is metered by the MAF--- however with tuning you can make a small adjustment to the MAF table to correct--
Old 05-05-2015, 01:12 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by tblu92
I have a different opinion------I am running BREATHERS on both of the valve covers and have capped off those 2 lines on my AFE CAI-- NO there is "0" oil being sprayed in the engine bay --totally dry---And the PCV system works far better as there is no restriction in the PCV inlet tract---I also have a UPR catch can---last check the intake manifold was completely DRY inside----NO oil or oil residue----Yes in stock trim the PCV air is metered by the MAF--- however with tuning you can make a small adjustment to the MAF table to correct--
it will still fluctuate. you are not taking in a set amount of air and when it changes it is still unmetered. I went down that road 10 years ago. learn from other people's mistakes and you will progress much faster, grasshopper.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:58 AM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tblu92
I didn't think it would spray oil at wot, but wasn't sure. I am running an elite engineering catch can, I am going to try your set up which is what I was going to do. As far as unmetered air being drawn thru the breathers, how does that change being plugged into the air intake track? Does it make the air fuel ratio slightly leaner?
Old 05-05-2015, 10:10 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

I didn't think it would spray oil at wot, but wasn't sure. I am running an elite engineering catch can, I am going to try your set up which is what I was going to do. As far as unmetered air being drawn thru the breathers, how does that change being plugged into the air intake track? Does it make the air fuel ratio slightly leaner?
unpredictable fuel trims and can give unstable idle, rich or lean trims, etc. its just a pain in the ***.

i really can't understand why someone would want to do something that has been a proven failure for a long time...."yeah we tried square wheels a while back but I guess if you want to see if it works today go ahead."
Old 05-05-2015, 10:40 AM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,013 Likes on 365 Posts

Agree....don't re-engineer the PCV system.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:43 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

If you want to smooth out your engine and eliminate hesitation in E or T, get a Faster Proms Intake Manifold. Love mine in both my C7 A8 and in my G8 GT.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:28 PM
museumdelivery
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do those big plastic bulges in the intake housing do? Sound control? other than provide filtered air to the pcv hoses that come off each valve cover. When I look at a AFE CAI, that doesn't exist and is there still a place to plug in those valve cover breathers. Why not just put filtered breathers on the valve covers to remove those silly hoses.

My car has a slight hesitation accompanied by a "sucking" sound when the throttle is depressed quickly. The dealer said there was nothing wrong with the car...because "they all did it". I didn't like that answer so I called Nora Roper who is the Assistant Plant Manager at Bowling Green. I spoke to Nora when I did my 6th museum delivery last July. Anyway, she told me that she would speak to the engineers and get me an answer...true to her word, she called me back 2 or 3 days later. Well, the engineers said..."they all do it!!! LOL Apparently it's a function of the "fuel management system" and its lack of sound insulation. My car has 5,000 miles on it now, and the sound continues...and it pisses me off every time that I hear it.

Get notified of new replies

To Base Stingray air intake

Old 05-06-2015, 03:45 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by museumdelivery
My car has a slight hesitation accompanied by a "sucking" sound when the throttle is depressed quickly. The dealer said there was nothing wrong with the car...because "they all did it". I didn't like that answer so I called Nora Roper who is the Assistant Plant Manager at Bowling Green. I spoke to Nora when I did my 6th museum delivery last July. Anyway, she told me that she would speak to the engineers and get me an answer...true to her word, she called me back 2 or 3 days later. Well, the engineers said..."they all do it!!! LOL Apparently it's a function of the "fuel management system" and its lack of sound insulation. My car has 5,000 miles on it now, and the sound continues...and it pisses me off every time that I hear it.
they all do it
Old 05-06-2015, 04:32 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by museumdelivery
Yes sir re, mine does exactly that. I am not trying to cure it, but I wonder if the AFE intake system effects it.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:37 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RussM05
Agree....don't re-engineer the PCV system.
Not trying, but sucking in crankcase fumes never makes engines run better. I realize its a emission function and I realize a lot of functions are a compromise. If I illegally made a few more horses and sucked in less crap, I win

Quick Reply: Base Stingray air intake