C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me understand the difference...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 03:52 PM
clg82
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help me understand the difference...

Good afternoon everybody, I am in the market for either a Stingray or ZR1....what is the difference between the power plants and transmissions? I am finding ZR1s in my area for more than what the new Stingrays are going for so I would like to know if there is a significant difference or if the ZR1 is more expensive because they were made in limited quantity? Thanks for any help!~Chris
Old 05-06-2015, 04:00 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by clg82
Good afternoon everybody, I am in the market for either a Stingray or ZR1....what is the difference between the power plants and transmissions? I am finding ZR1s in my area for more than what the new Stingrays are going for so I would like to know if there is a significant difference or if the ZR1 is more expensive because they were made in limited quantity? Thanks for any help!~Chris
ZR1 Info

C7 Info
Old 05-06-2015, 04:14 PM
FormulaRedline
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are you planning to do with the car? To generalize: the ZR1 has a lot more power, but the C7 handles better. C7 can be faster on a medium/short track. ZR1 will be faster at the drag strip or a track with long straights.

But go sit in both and you will be hard pressed to pick the C6's interior...which may be a factor depending on how much you plan to drive it.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:23 PM
clg82
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The majority of the cars time will be under a car cover and only used for weekend driving and enjoyment. Maybe I'd take it to a track occasionally but not that often.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:34 PM
FormulaRedline
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, you are definitely paying for rarity in the ZR1. According to Higgs' Wikipedia link they only made 4,684 total. Meanwhile they sold almost 35,000 Stingrays in calendar year 2014 alone. If you are "collecting," that might be worth considering.

In my obviously biased opinion, if you are looking for weekend enjoyment and occasional track duty, the C7 is the way to go. You get a removable top for the weekends and better handling for the track. I don't think an occasional track car needs 638hp enough to warrant the price premium.

Get notified of new replies

To Help me understand the difference...

Quick Reply: Help me understand the difference...