C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Injectors, wires, plug, valve spring

Old 05-14-2015, 10:19 PM
dpb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Bad Injectors, wires, plug, valve spring

OK, I started noticing a miss especially when cold at higher than normal acceleration, not quite WOT. After taking it in three times the mechanic finds 5 bad injectors, 2 bad plugs, 1 bad plug wire. Mechanic replaces them and takes it out for a test drive, and #7 cylinder valve spring breaks!!! The keepers on the spring kept the valve from dropping into the cylinder but now I have to wait for that part (the spring) to come in. He says that once the spring is replaced all will be well.

I'm worried that all the injectors weren't replaced and that other valve springs could be faulty too. The Dealers mechanic says that under warranty he can only replace what GM allows him to replace and thinks the spring is an isolated incident. Also, I can't have the old injectors or spring because he has to send them to GM for warranty reimbursement. What say you guys???

Oh, forgot to say: 2014 A6 Vert with 7200 miles on it. Driven more aggressively than some others do!
Attached Images  

Last edited by dpb; 05-14-2015 at 10:23 PM. Reason: add car description
Old 05-15-2015, 01:22 AM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 218 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by dpb
After taking it in three times the mechanic finds 5 bad injectors, 2 bad plugs, 1 bad plug wire. Mechanic replaces them and takes it out for a test drive, and #7 cylinder valve spring breaks!!!

What say you guys???
Erm... I say ...

That's a hell of a lot of injectors to go bad, and even assuming the plugs were fouled, that doesn't explain a bad wire... This is a cacophony of issues happening all at once. Doesn't seem to have much correlation unless I'm thinking about this the wrong way.

If there were truly 5 bad injectors, and you're worried that they didn't replace them all, there will still be DTCs being thrown on the bad injectors. If you're worried that everything wasn't replaced as you were told, take it to another dealer, and have them read it in - you'll know if you still have an ongoing issue if there are persisting DTCs.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:04 AM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

There is an extremely high probability that the injector, plugs and plug wire were incorrect diagnoses. I bet the broken spring was the only issue.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:24 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 294 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Boiler_81
There is an extremely high probability that the injector, plugs and plug wire were incorrect diagnoses. I bet the broken spring was the only issue.

The chances that ALL of those things failed at once is astronomically small.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:35 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,810 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Boiler_81

Elmer
Old 05-15-2015, 11:41 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 218 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

What's sad about this is that the GDS2 DTC system makes it so bloody easy to identify issues with this platform... No clue how a tech could make that many assumptions without the papers to back it up, unless they were just making things up.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:06 PM
dpb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Follow Up

Originally Posted by dpb
OK, I started noticing a miss especially when cold at higher than normal acceleration, not quite WOT. After taking it in three times the mechanic finds 5 bad injectors, 2 bad plugs, 1 bad plug wire. Mechanic replaces them and takes it out for a test drive, and #7 cylinder valve spring breaks!!! The keepers on the spring kept the valve from dropping into the cylinder but now I have to wait for that part (the spring) to come in. He says that once the spring is replaced all will be well.

I'm worried that all the injectors weren't replaced and that other valve springs could be faulty too. The Dealers mechanic says that under warranty he can only replace what GM allows him to replace and thinks the spring is an isolated incident. Also, I can't have the old injectors or spring because he has to send them to GM for warranty reimbursement. What say you guys???

Oh, forgot to say: 2014 A6 Vert with 7200 miles on it. Driven more aggressively than some others do!
Valve spring replaced, runs like a champ...of to Spring Mountain Sunday!!!
Old 05-20-2015, 07:44 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Theta
What's sad about this is that the GDS2 DTC system makes it so bloody easy to identify issues with this platform... No clue how a tech could make that many assumptions without the papers to back it up, unless they were just making things up.

"unless they were just making things up" seems more like it
Old 05-20-2015, 09:45 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Not trying to come across as acting as the resident tech expert but I’d have thought a broken valve spring would have resulted in damage to the top of the piston. Am I missing something here? Don
Old 05-21-2015, 09:24 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,810 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by W88fixer
Not trying to come across as acting as the resident tech expert but I’d have thought a broken valve spring would have resulted in damage to the top of the piston. Am I missing something here? Don

I believe that the "keepers" on the valve would keep it from drop down and coming in contact with the piston. The problem would be exhaust gas or intake mixture (depending on which spring broke). The broken spring might horse up the rocker, trunion, or something on top????

My $.02

Elmer
Old 05-24-2015, 03:35 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I agree with the others--seems like a mis diagnosed warranty failure--The broken spring can create or simulate other issues that are indeed false--- A broken valve spring can create "false misfires' backfiring etc--Normally they would think it's a secondary ignition failure-How they got to the point of failing injectors is beyond me---

Get notified of new replies

To Bad Injectors, wires, plug, valve spring

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad Injectors, wires, plug, valve spring