C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Set me straight on aftermarket wheel options

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 03:17 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Default Set me straight on aftermarket wheel options

I was getting different answers so I figured you guys can tell me the correct answer. For my 15 Z51 A8 stingray I eventually wanted to get new rims with wider tires. Ideally I wanted something similiar to the C6 Z06/GS size. I know those wheels will not work on my car due to offsets but can I get aftermarket wheels in those sizes with new tires??

I eventualy will do the ECS kit and at the same time I wanted new rims and rubber. I know Ben from WeaponX has that 375 tire set up but that is a bit much for me. I was looking for sizes in the C6Z or C7Z tire size to keep handling and also improve traction. I called Ben but got his voicemail
Old 05-15-2015, 05:41 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I don't have any voice message from you

I can do a nice 325 or in also doing the Z06 335 on a set right now too on some brand new C7 max concave wheels too. Let me know!

Old 05-15-2015, 06:00 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Ben@WeaponX
I don't have any voice message from you

I can do a nice 325 or in also doing the Z06 335 on a set right now too on some brand new C7 max concave wheels too. Let me know!

Hi Ben!! I called 614 489 8360 the # on your website under contact us. Is that wrong?? Said google suscriber. Will those wheels and tires fit my car without any cutting or any issues?? The fenders are wide enough??
Old 05-15-2015, 06:10 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Yes they're custom forged so wheels are made for C7
Old 05-15-2015, 06:13 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Ben@WeaponX
Yes they're custom forged so wheels are made for C7
Sweet so I can fit what 19 fronts and 20 backs 325 tire out back ?? I will be in touch with you soon to put a package together for me.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:06 AM
C6-LS2-MN6
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 81 Posts

FULL DETAILS:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-c7-pic-s.html

Old 05-16-2015, 10:10 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

If you want wheels that will fit without rubbing no matter where you set your suspension, what kind of roads you drive on, or how you drive then get some Forgelines (or other custom....REAL custom wheels) from Ben.

If you want something that may or may not rub depending on conditions, get a TSW or the like.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:14 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

I def do not want ANY rubbing
Old 05-16-2015, 11:13 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by thegame
I def do not want ANY rubbing
just talk to Ben, he will get you set up.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:14 AM
C7BB
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

No matter what you read the TSW's don't fit these cars correctly. I had a set, as well as other people have had sets of them... Custom forged wheels with proper offsets make the difference. They look better, fit better, and definitely don't rub. I'm down all the way on stock bolts and have a 305 Drag Radials on my car and zero problems rubbing!
Old 05-19-2015, 07:47 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

I'm running the 375 setup with HRE P40SC and mine only rubbed once when my fat *** dad was in the passenger seat. kidding... They don't rub.

You won't be getting any traction what so ever with a 375/20/21 in the rear. I sure don't.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:50 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

Lawerence you're running 19/20 right? I may need to do something similar when it comes down to taking my car to The runway rivals next year. So I can put something sticky out back.

Originally Posted by C7BB
No matter what you read the TSW's don't fit these cars correctly. I had a set, as well as other people have had sets of them... Custom forged wheels with proper offsets make the difference. They look better, fit better, and definitely don't rub. I'm down all the way on stock bolts and have a 305 Drag Radials on my car and zero problems rubbing!
Old 05-19-2015, 12:44 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Use this tire/wheel size calculator to help you understand all the dynamics involved in selecting a wheel and tire size:

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Put in stock sized wheels and tires (front then rear) on the left side, then the play with the right side based on your desired tire or wheel size preferences. Pay close attention to the bottom left schematic as this will show you the deltas for the OEM setup versus your new desired setup. The great thing about this calculator is it will show you mounting deltas from the furthest point outboard and inboard, whether that be the tire or the wheel that is sticking out the furthest (wheel being the furthest only applicable on pretty stretched tires, so not a possibility here).

As the C7 rear wheels are concerned:

When using this calculator, understand that on the C7 guys begin to rub or not rub (varies by ride height, suspension geometry setup, car tolerance etc etc) typically around the 10mm to 14mm range of the furthest outboard (tire or wheel)from the OEM setup.

So with the TSW guys, they are around 20mm outboard as the wheel goes, however since a 285/35/19 tire has a less protruding sidewall on a 19x10.5 than the stock 285/30/20 on a 19x10, then at the furthest point (the tires) the TSW actually sticks out about 14mm further than stock, tire to tire, which seems to rub for some guys and others don't.

The guys that are running the cast XO Veronas (20x11 et.73) with OEM 285/30/20's (even those lowered to max on stock bolts, factory camber specs) are not rubbing at all. There are quite a few guys running this setup, and none have complained of rubbing, even when asked. For reference, with the XO setup mentioned above, the wheel would be around 18-19mm more outboard than stock but you would be 6mm outboard from stock setup at the furthest point (the tires). However, if you put a 305/30/20 on the same wheel, you would be 16mm outboard now from stock (at the furthest point, the tires) and would probably rub, definitely lowered, if some guys are already rubbing at 14mm outboard.

Hope this helps. It is good to learn this stuff, especially when ordering custom wheels so as to not rely on the manufacturer for proper offsets (as seen with TSW for instance) and know exactly what you are getting.

Last edited by \Boost Monkey/; 05-19-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:42 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by C6-LS2-MN6
i am sure those rims are light weight, but dam they look just like the base rims.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:55 PM
C7BB
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by C7&7
Lawerence you're running 19/20 right? I may need to do something similar when it comes down to taking my car to The runway rivals next year. So I can put something sticky out back.

No, 18" x 9" front and 19" x 11" rears.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:02 PM
SquatchMachining
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Figure out what you want and need diameter and width wise and take a look at forgestar wheels. They have some pretty good options and you can get them in almost any offset you want. Cheap way to get a "custom" wheel.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:17 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SquatchMachining
Figure out what you want and need diameter and width wise and take a look at forgestar wheels. They have some pretty good options and you can get them in almost any offset you want. Cheap way to get a "custom" wheel.
I know what I want because it's pretty simple. I want to fit C6 Z06 size tires on my car. To do so I will go with the forgelines and have ben put together a package for me with a good tire. I don't want something that can't be driven in rain or 50 degree weather because my car is kind of a road trip car. Plenty of times I will probably be caught in the rain. No drag radials or tire that kills handling.

Get notified of new replies

To Set me straight on aftermarket wheel options

Old 05-19-2015, 05:30 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by SquatchMachining
Typically a good route to take if you want to customize without the high price. That or the new HRE flow formed line.

But in the OP's case, if he wants to go with a 12" wide wheel for a 325 wide tire or greater, he will need extremely high offsets to clear the fenders. If he wants a 325 on a 12" wide wheel, the offsets will most likely have to be somewhere in the +90's at least for the tire to clear the fenders and avoid any rubbing I would guess.

Forgestar wheels don't offer a 12" wide wheel with the high offsets he needs. You can customize to the mm with Forgestar, but only within certain ranges.

Custom forged is the way to go for his needs unless another flow formed wheel will offer that high in offsets...but I doubt it.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:34 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by \Boost Monkey/
Typically a good route to take if you want to customize without the high price. That or the new HRE flow formed line.

But in the OP's case, if he wants to go with a 12" wide wheel for a 325 wide tire or greater, he will need extremely high offsets to clear the fenders. If he wants a 325 on a 12" wide wheel, the offsets will most likely have to be somewhere in the +90's at least for the tire to clear the fenders and avoid any rubbing I would guess.

Forgestar wheels don't offer a 12" wide wheel with the high offsets he needs. You can customize to the mm with Forgestar, but only within certain ranges.

Custom forged is the way to go for his needs unless another flow formed wheel will offer that high in offsets...but I doubt it.
Oh ok well I don't want to be difficult lol So with forgestar can I get a set up that allows be to comfortably run a 305 in the rear with no rubbing?? I'm guessing with high horsepower cars its not just the size of the tire but more importantly the quality of the rubber. Hellcats come with 275 wide tires lol
Old 05-19-2015, 05:43 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by thegame
Oh ok well I don't want to be difficult lol So with forgestar can I get a set up that allows be to comfortably run a 305 in the rear with no rubbing?? I'm guessing with high horsepower cars its not just the size of the tire but more importantly the quality of the rubber. Hellcats come with 275 wide tires lol
Forgestar is not Forgeline, just in case....

Quick Reply: Set me straight on aftermarket wheel options