C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Perfect timing 2nd to 1st

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 07:44 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Default Perfect timing 2nd to 1st

All the years of watching others do this, or more specifically 4th to 3rd I was always extra cautious.

Car is a '14 Z51 M7.

I was coming out of a round about at the end of second, went to hit 3rd, hit 1st. Knew immediately what I had done and got the clutch back in.

Service rear axle, low power mode, etc....Put it in 4th and started to move over towards the turn around to limp it home when all of a sudden all the lights went off and everything was fine.

To complicate things before this I swear I had an exhaust leak at the manifolds. So now I'm trying to figure out what is going on.

Car drives fine, put 1K on it since it happened. Plenty of hard driving and no issues. What I do have is:

1. Right after it happened some pretty bad clutch smell, figured this was from the high rpm's. Went away, never came back, never slipped.

2. Straight line acceleration is fine. If coming around a corner, or doing a high speed corner at WOT I Will get a burning smell. Hard to characterize it but maybe oil? This also could be tweaking the motor because of the turn and making an exhaust leak worse.

My thought is the overrev and this smell are completely separate. I just hit 12K miles and wondering if I might be pooling oil in the intake like a lot have. Cornering sloshes it around, drags it into the motor and burns some off.

On a scale of 1 to 10 the smell is a 3. With windows up and top on you smell it slightly then in 5-6 seconds its gone.

This is perfect timing because the SC goes on as soon as it arrives. I also do not believe it was an overfill at the dealer. I always check and probably drove it for 3 weeks since the last change without incident.

No smoke or anything else. Clutch feels fine although I don't doubt I burnt it a bit.

Besides bent pushrods anyone have any idea's? Are the problem and the incident just a coincidence?

Thanks
Old 05-20-2015, 08:01 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

My buddy Lawerance C7BB here on the forum is having a similar issue when his car is under a heavy load. Third to first scenario...scary situation.

I think the smell could be as you say burning off oil. I'd put a lmr or lashway breather / catch can on it when you do the blower.

Originally Posted by NoOne
All the years of watching others do this, or more specifically 4th to 3rd I was always extra cautious.

Car is a '14 Z51 M7.

I was coming out of a round about at the end of second, went to hit 3rd, hit 1st. Knew immediately what I had done and got the clutch back in.

Service rear axle, low power mode, etc....Put it in 4th and started to move over towards the turn around to limp it home when all of a sudden all the lights went off and everything was fine.

To complicate things before this I swear I had an exhaust leak at the manifolds. So now I'm trying to figure out what is going on.

Car drives fine, put 1K on it since it happened. Plenty of hard driving and no issues. What I do have is:

1. Right after it happened some pretty bad clutch smell, figured this was from the high rpm's. Went away, never came back, never slipped.

2. Straight line acceleration is fine. If coming around a corner, or doing a high speed corner at WOT I Will get a burning smell. Hard to characterize it but maybe oil? This also could be tweaking the motor because of the turn and making an exhaust leak worse.

My thought is the overrev and this smell are completely separate. I just hit 12K miles and wondering if I might be pooling oil in the intake like a lot have. Cornering sloshes it around, drags it into the motor and burns some off.

On a scale of 1 to 10 the smell is a 3. With windows up and top on you smell it slightly then in 5-6 seconds its gone.

This is perfect timing because the SC goes on as soon as it arrives. I also do not believe it was an overfill at the dealer. I always check and probably drove it for 3 weeks since the last change without incident.

No smoke or anything else. Clutch feels fine although I don't doubt I burnt it a bit.

Besides bent pushrods anyone have any idea's? Are the problem and the incident just a coincidence?

Thanks
Old 05-20-2015, 08:52 AM
C7BB
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Are you still using your factory shifter? I called a very reputable shop local to me about my situation, and he said it could be the synchronizers in the transmission. I'm gonna change fluid first, then the supply line, then shifter... Then I'll worry about the transmission if all your above doesn't fix the issue.

My issue is only under a load though, under normal driving operations it's as smooth as silk. Btw... My car is a base model not a Z-51, so I'm not sure our two transmissions are the same?
Old 05-20-2015, 09:35 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C7BB
Are you still using your factory shifter? I called a very reputable shop local to me about my situation, and he said it could be the synchronizers in the transmission. I'm gonna change fluid first, then the supply line, then shifter... Then I'll worry about the transmission if all your above doesn't fix the issue.

My issue is only under a load though, under normal driving operations it's as smooth as silk. Btw... My car is a base model not a Z-51, so I'm not sure our two transmissions are the same?
I'm not sure where they get the synchro's causing the odor. It is an MTW shifter.

This happens in 2nd, 3rd, 4th...so not sure how that would affect it.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:06 AM
C7BB
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by NoOne
I'm not sure where they get the synchro's causing the odor. It is an MTW shifter.

This happens in 2nd, 3rd, 4th...so not sure how that would affect it.
I'm sorry, I was referring to my issue of going into 1st from second. I was thinking you were having similar issues with the car... I should have been more specific. I'm thinking your smell is related to an over fill issue.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:12 AM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Coincidence, take it to the dealer and find out what is going on with the smell.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:50 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

So I checked the oil today.

Hot it was all the way to the top of the HOT marker. Perfectly level with it.

Considering it now has about 2K on it since the last change and I'm sure its belching some into the intake I suspect it was overfilled. I thought about it and probably only drove it a few days after the last change and this 3-1 shift so probably did not notice.

There is no cold marker so what should I see cold?
Old 05-24-2015, 03:11 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Sounds like you need a catch can even more important if your future plans are to add a SC----A catch can on a SC set-up has an extra line in the plumbing to capture the oil belching bubble they create when there are massive changes in manifold vacuum--such as in missed shifts hard downshifts or rapid lifts off the throttle

Get notified of new replies

To Perfect timing 2nd to 1st

Quick Reply: Perfect timing 2nd to 1st