C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ring and pinion

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 10:55 PM
vetvett
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ring and pinion

OK - got a whine in the differentia when accelerating. Was told it more than likely is a ring and pinion problem in my 2002 by the dealer. I have a 3.42 and stall converter in my automatic. Checking prices on a 3.42 ring and pinion set from National Drivetrain and they are about $350.00. How's that sound. Also considering a new Getrag 3.42 differential for about $1,700. Don't know if it would be necessary to get the whole enchilada or not. Car has about 65,000 miles on it.
What say y'all...
Tom in Atlanta
Old 05-24-2015, 11:10 PM
Z06 1of38
Drifting

Received 677 Likes on 333 Posts

I'd say your 2002 isn't a C7....
Old 05-25-2015, 02:08 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I'm sure your ring and pinion are just fine----It is extremely rare to break these parts--If your's is broken or bad---It would not drive anywhere in gear
FIX-----Installing a ring and pinion is a complex technical job---best left to the experts--Espcially on a Corvette--- If your's whines--it was simply a BAD installation and the fix would be to take it to a shop that has done Corvette rear ends before---
The things that are extremely important on a rear end to make them smooth and NOT whine is the correct setting of the "BACKLASH" and the "PRE-LOAD"---This requires special tools and experience----Take it to a reputable rear end shop and all they have to do is buy a ring and pinion installation package that will include all the shims and adjustable pieces to re-calibrate it to factory specs----Kit is cheap---All the cost is labor-- for removal and re-installation----

Get notified of new replies

To Ring and pinion

Quick Reply: Ring and pinion