C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last annoying rims/tires question--I promise

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 09:02 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Default Last annoying rims/tires question--I promise

How worthy are the optional Michelin Z51 run flat tires? Would these tires have any chance on a supercharged car or would it be like riding on ice and pointless

Reason I ask is because if I supercharge/meth my A8 Z51 I was planning on new rims/tires to fit a wider 305 tire. Getting a nice set of rims and tires would run me 5-6K. That is simply to go from a 285 out back to a 305 just doesn't seem worth it.

I unlike most actually like the stock rims on my car. If the stock Z51 tires are not good enough for a supercharged car I guess I could keep my stock rims and just put better tires on them. I would only be able to fit a 285 of whatever tire I choose though.

What do you guys suggest?
Old 05-25-2015, 09:37 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

I would get 305's for your stock wheels. The PSS non-run flats are a great option if you can find them. Otherwise just get a set of Drag Radials for your WOT runs. ( preferably on 18" wheels so the tires will be higher profile and will flex and hook up better). If you leave the T/C on the stock tires should be fine also.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:42 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by EcoBrick Bob
I would get 305's for your stock wheels. The PSS non-run flats are a great option if you can find them. Otherwise just get a set of Drag Radials for your WOT runs. ( preferably on 18" wheels so the tires will be higher profile and will flex and hook up better). If you leave the T/C on the stock tires should be fine also.
305 won't fit on my stock wheels. Also I don't want to be switching rims and all that. Whatever I get will be my only set. I want the best all around set up I can get for my car. Drag radials are not an option because I take road trips with the car and get caught in the rain a lot.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:19 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,212 Likes on 824 Posts

I've got 7k on mine and they look new still. In cold they have zero grip until they warm a little...To me they are noisy on some roads and from a dig traction is not great but otherwise they are fine. In warm weather and on twisty roads you and the road become ONE... They are a lot better that the Good/craps we used to have...
Old 05-25-2015, 10:25 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
I've got 7k on mine and they look new still. In cold they have zero grip until they warm a little...To me they are noisy on some roads and from a dig traction is not great but otherwise they are fine. In warm weather and on twisty roads you and the road become ONE... They are a lot better that the Good/craps we used to have...
Is your C7 supercharged?
Old 05-25-2015, 11:26 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Originally Posted by thegame
Is your C7 supercharged?
No it isn't...
Old 05-26-2015, 07:21 AM
VThokies
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You can fit a 295 on the stock rims, not much difference, but it is something. However, mine do rub at times. With the back of the car loaded down with luggage, driver and passenger, -1.3 degrees negative camber, and lowered on stock bolts, the car will rub slightly on the really bad dips in the road. But yours may not rub at all.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:56 AM
ZO6ME
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

No they will not hold. I went with 19" replicas in the rear with nt05r's and nto5r's in the front. I also have a set of c5z06 rears that I am putting nt555's (305/40/18). My car is a Z51 so it came with 19/20's.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:24 AM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Theta (I think he is SC'd as well) is running 265's and 315's Toyo R888 on the stock Z51 wheels... But remember what we discussed in the other thread. Toyo's run narrow and Theta said his 315's are more like a normal other brand 305 thereby putting him somewhere in the +10mm area outboard from stock tire setup. He doesn't rub with full drop on stock bolts... so that's a really good sign.

If you want to keep the stock wheels and run a 305, I would be willing to bet that the Toyo R888 305 would work just fine (but would be more narrow IE a little less contact patch than other brands). Or you could try and duplicate Theta's setup and run R888 315's and take a chance of not rubbing. If a race compound is not desired, Toyo's other street compound offerings should run similar in width/sidewall profile.

Read this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ire-sizes.html
Old 05-26-2015, 10:28 AM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

305 won't fit on my stock wheels.

305's will fit on stock wheels.

However I would be a bit concerned to run this setup (305 on 10" wide wheel) in autocross/track use for fear of the tire sidewall failing. For normal street driving this would be fine, tons of folks run a 305 on a 10" wide wheel.

Last edited by \Boost Monkey/; 05-26-2015 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:34 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by \Boost Monkey/
Theta (I think he is SC'd as well) is running 265's and 315's Toyo R888 on the stock Z51 wheels... But remember what we discussed in the other thread. Toyo's run narrow and Theta said his 315's are more like a normal other brand 305 thereby putting him somewhere in the +10mm area outboard from stock tire setup. He doesn't rub with full drop on stock bolts... so that's a really good sign.

If you want to keep the stock wheels and run a 305, I would be willing to bet that the Toyo R888 305 would work just fine (but would be more narrow IE a little less contact patch than other brands). Or you could try and duplicate Theta's setup and run R888 315's and take a chance of not rubbing. If a race compound is not desired, Toyo's other street compound offerings should run similar in width/sidewall profile.

Read this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ire-sizes.html
Oh that is a great option!! Keep stock rims and since my car is not dropped see if the Toyo 315 will work. Worst case a toyo 305. Thanks and I'll check with my shop when I am ready! You rock
Old 05-28-2015, 10:00 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Oh that is a great option!! Keep stock rims and since my car is not dropped see if the Toyo 315 will work. Worst case a toyo 305. Thanks and I'll check with my shop when I am ready! You rock
So.. you dissed me for suggesting 305's on the Z51 10" wheels and now you're going to try the 315's????

Just remember that there is a wide difference in tread width in any given size. I had 285's from Bridgestone that were the same diameter as the 275's ( thinner tread) and were a full inch wider in tread width. Their Pole Positions in 275 were nearly 3/4" narrower than their 275 Potenza RE O50A's.

I have Pilot Super Sports on all 4 of my vehicles. I would rather not have run-flats on the Vette, but I have yet to find a tire that will out handle /perform Pilot SS in everyday driving. Like I said before, if you leave your T/C on, even with a SC, they will be fine with any power level. However, there is really no tire that will handle 700 HP and fit on our rims that you can drive in the rain without being careful.

You could have the rear rims widened, which would allow wider tires.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:35 AM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

So.. you dissed me for suggesting 305's on the Z51 10" wheels and now you're going to try the 315's????

Just remember that there is a wide difference in tread width in any given size. I had 285's from Bridgestone that were the same diameter as the 275's ( thinner tread) and were a full inch wider in tread width. Their Pole Positions in 275 were nearly 3/4" narrower than their 275 Potenza RE O50A's.

I have Pilot Super Sports on all 4 of my vehicles. I would rather not have run-flats on the Vette, but I have yet to find a tire that will out handle /perform Pilot SS in everyday driving. Like I said before, if you leave your T/C on, even with a SC, they will be fine with any power level. However, there is really no tire that will handle 700 HP and fit on our rims that you can drive in the rain without being careful.

You were right the first time on the 305's. Same reason I suggested the possible option of R888 315's. As shown with Theta's setup, they run very narrow like around average 305 dimensions. Most of Toyo's lineup run narrow compared to the averages for any given size.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:25 AM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

You were right the first time on the 305's. Same reason I suggested the possible option of R888 315's. As shown with Theta's setup, they run very narrow like around average 305 dimensions. Most of Toyo's lineup run narrow compared to the averages for any given size.
Thanks!

Of course, if really desperate, one can use a fender roller and a torch!

And yes, I do have a tire roller that I used on my 2 G8's...
Old 05-29-2015, 12:02 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Thanks!

Not on polymer......

Old 05-29-2015, 12:53 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

I'm sorry I hope you didnt't take it that way or as me being rude. I definitley did not mean to "diss" you !! I am just making this way too complicated. I simply want a tire set up on my stock rims that can support suppercharged power. I don't want to run drag radials all the time because I take long trips in the car and will run into rain and other road issues. I don't want totally kill the cars cornering ability either. I guess I want the best all around set up I can get for traction and safety

Last edited by thegame; 05-29-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:54 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Thanks!

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
Not on polymer......

Ya, we have plastic quarters... no go.

Rolling has always been a way for me to squeeze out another 2-6mm (without it looking ridiculous and rolling them out too much). I have a roller as well... which will now just sit and wait for day.

Get notified of new replies

To Last annoying rims/tires question--I promise

Old 05-29-2015, 01:03 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

I am just making this way too complicated.
No, you're good. You're doing exactly what you should be... exploring all the options and learning what different combinations of wheel sizes, offsets, tire sizes/brands, ride height, suspension geometry etc work with this new car. It isn't as easy as some might think and takes time to figure out to make an informed decision on everything and not burn your money for some ill fitting setup or stuff you don't need or wont get the job done.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:08 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

No, you're good. You're doing exactly what you should be... exploring all the options and learning what different combinations of wheel sizes, offsets, tire sizes/brands, ride height, suspension geometry etc work with this new car. It isn't as easy as some might think and takes time to figure out to make an informed decision on everything and not burn your money for some ill fitting setup or stuff you don't need or wont get the job done.
Thanks Boost
Old 05-29-2015, 08:51 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

The fender roller and a torch were a joke... Actually the only way to flex the body with a roller would be to use a torch to heat it enough so it could move... But by then, it would be on fire!!!!

I do use a heat gun on steel fenders to soften the paint a bit so it doesn't crack.

Quick Reply: Last annoying rims/tires question--I promise