C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 12:42 PM
MJMJ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headers ?

How do you go about picking out headers? Such as long tube, mid length or shorties? What's the difference? I'm looking at ARH mid length for my 2015 Z51, all I have now is B&B bullets and its not loud enough and I could always use more power of course..!
I read that with the ARH mid length with cats you can just bolt on with no tune and it doesn't throw any codes. Anyone have them, how do they sound?
Old 06-02-2015, 01:10 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

I have B+B also.I've decided to go also with ARH 1+7/8 long tube.I'm hearing going with long tube will give more sound and more power.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:16 PM
kiley2418
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Long tubes = more hp yes and will require a tuning as well. The mid length's do not require tuning just bolt in and go.. Can't go wrong with any of arh products!!
Old 06-02-2015, 04:06 PM
Jack Be Quick Racing
Pro

Location: Detroit area and Nashville area What day is it? Between MI & TN
Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Long tube headers; any brand - will require a tune due to the change in location or absence of cats (depending on your selected setup). Long tube headers will require a matching x-pipe. The combination of these three components (headers, x-pipe, and tune) will provide bigger HP gain and sound change.

Advantages:
+ biggest HP potential gains with the combo outlined above
+ tune can support other changes and custom tune later on as well; good investment if your making more mods.
+ long tubes are best long term investment if you are going to do other changes as well; turbo, supercharger, engine work

Disadvantages
- requires a tune
- cost
- your going to go all in (with headers, x-pipe, and tune) all at once to make it work; your not going to build into it over a period of time

If you don't want to go to a tune (like me, not just yet anyway with only 1,500 miles on the car) the ARH midlength with cats will "greatly reduce" (pretty much eliminate but you gotta put the legalize weasel words in there) the chances of throwing a code without a tune while also giving a boost in HP/TQ and sound.

Advantages:
+ the midlengths with cats don't require a tune; you can always tune later and get more from the change when your ready.
+ they will bolt up to stock x-pipe or aftermarket x-pipe that is meant to go into the stock locations (like Corsa double helix or Borla stock replacement x-pipes)
+ Increased performance and sound with smaller 'commitment' to full set modifications (tuning requirement and x-pipe "have to" changes); you can build into a full exhaust upgrade over time if planned correctly.
+ Good pricing options

Disadvantages:
- a little less potential performance increases without getting a tune at the same time; not required but you're not going to get 100% full potential without doing a tune (holds true for pretty much any significant change). You'll get 8/10s of capability rather than 10/10s of the change.
- Less full potential gains compared to long tubes; even apples-to-apples with both setups having a tune done for the combination.
- Potential if your going all out with bigger mods later on that you might want to replace with long tube headers. Supercharger, engine mods... will all work with stock headers, benefit significantly from mid lengths but, not get the 10/10s potential of what long tubes could ultimately provide.

I have a set of ARH mid lengths with cats being installed today that will match up to the Corsa double helix straight pipe and Borla Atak dual mode exhaust already on the car. I want the performance bump but the sound increase just as much if not more from the addition of the headers.

I have NPP. Changed to the Corsa double helix straight pipe to get more sound. Yes, it helped it get a little louder but, still wanted more. Next, did the Borla Atak dual mode to keep the NPP valves and get it louder. Yes, it is louder in Sport / Track mode but, still want more. Maybe the Billy Boat Bullets would have been enough for me (they are louder, I believe, then the Borla Ataks) but, really wanted to keep NPP. Billy Boat Fusions support NPP and should be as loud as Bullets when opened but, at the time there was concern around throwing codes associated with the replaced NPP valve rather than straight re-use (of the actuators) as the Borla systems approach. I have BB on other cars and love them. Took a chance on Borlas this time around.

I am hoping the ARH mid lengths and high flow cats get me over the top in terms of desired sound. Once I get the car back I'll try and post up some observations and a video.

EDIT: Video https://youtu.be/dveIpkNLIeA

Last edited by Jack Be Quick Racing; 06-03-2015 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:46 PM
Jason 98 TA
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Checkout the TSP Headers if you decide long tubes. The long tube option will make killer power gains over the mid-lengths & for under a grand you get a fully stainless header & x pipe system!!

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-4408-te...ed-x-pipe.aspx
Old 06-02-2015, 06:35 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

What is more easier on A LT1 engine?Performance heads and A cam ,or A supercharger?
Old 06-02-2015, 08:30 PM
CDH76
Safety Car

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by thrilled
What is more easier on A LT1 engine?Performance heads and A cam ,or A supercharger?
You should probably ask that in a new topic. Kind of off topic here.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:25 AM
bdons
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok so my question is if the tune is necessary for the car to run properly or if it is just for more power and no cel. I'm preparing for a build and want to go long tube but I would prefer to wait until I sc for the tuning.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:43 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bdons
Ok so my question is if the tune is necessary for the car to run properly or if it is just for more power and no cel. I'm preparing for a build and want to go long tube but I would prefer to wait until I sc for the tuning.
My thinking is let the warranty expire then do whatever.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:08 PM
bdons
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thrilled
My thinking is let the warranty expire then do whatever.
That still does not answer the question. Is the tune required for the engine to run properly or is it just for power and no cel?
Old 06-03-2015, 03:52 PM
0Cajun @ Edgyvette
Former Vendor

Received 393 Likes on 286 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12'-'13-'14-'15

Drop me an email for KILLER pricing on ARH system. Sales@BERLSX.com

Give me model and ship address.

Cajun

Get notified of new replies

To Headers ?

Quick Reply: Headers ?