C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFM actuators have failed again on track for my Z51

Old 09-19-2016, 06:26 PM
sleepydog
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By any chance, does anyone know if GM did anything differently in 2016 model year to improve this? I haven't tracked my 2016 C7 Z51 (planning early next year) yet and is already scared of this.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:33 PM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepydog
By any chance, does anyone know if GM did anything differently in 2016 model year to improve this? I haven't tracked my 2016 C7 Z51 (planning early next year) yet and is already scared of this.
Funny you should post this now. I just posted a video in the ASK TADGE thread from this past weekend at Circuit of the Americas. I asked this very question to Tim Campbell and he said there is an "upgraded" version but as has been discussed on the forum and X25 restates in the thread, the p/n has not changed and the '16s are supposed to already have them, which I've already melted.

Here's the thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1593091310
Old 09-20-2016, 02:00 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepydog

The solution GM has come up with for the AFM actuators is to delete them from any 2017 models intended for track, which means manual transmission cars Z51 and Grand Sport. The Z06's do not have AFM actuators for obvious reasons. They would have failed even faster than on the 2014-2016 Z51's. AFAIK there is no fix for any cars prior ro the 2017 models. The upgraded part was a muffler assembly with supposedly isolated AFM valves, but that upgrade did nothing on my car, and the AFM actuators are still the same as before, no changes as stated above. Only X25's solution of relocating the actuators is working from what I know.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:31 PM
kb's toy
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

After four times having them replaced and dealing with GM customer Service. They have informed me that they have repaired the car as required under warranty so they have no problem. I was wanting something to cover after the warranty runs out but they will not provide anything or admit they have a problem. Looking at the lemon law requirements.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:44 PM
copjsd
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by kb's toy
After four times having them replaced and dealing with GM customer Service. They have informed me that they have repaired the car as required under warranty so they have no problem. I was wanting something to cover after the warranty runs out but they will not provide anything or admit they have a problem. Looking at the lemon law requirements.
I'm on my third muffler assembly and have reached out to a Pennsylvania law firm that specializes in the Lemon Law.

Hopefully when I discuss the Lemon Law with my dealer, they'll talk to the GM folks and extend my mufflers' warranty or include my mufflers under the powertrain warranty.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:48 AM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Can the AFM be tuned out so that they can be removed?
Old 10-15-2016, 12:06 PM
copjsd
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by S'vette
Can the AFM be tuned out so that they can be removed?
If you read throughout the posts (above), apparently not.

Last edited by copjsd; 10-15-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:33 AM
gippy87
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to give the corvette guys some hope, there is a solution being worked over on the camaro forums that should work just as well for the corvette guys. The intent is to build a plug in module will replicate the output the computer expects to see tricking it into thinking they valves are still in place. To be clear i have nothing to do with this but i trust in the forum members ability to accomplish it.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:08 AM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by gippy87
Just to give the corvette guys some hope, there is a solution being worked over on the camaro forums that should work just as well for the corvette guys. The intent is to build a plug in module will replicate the output the computer expects to see tricking it into thinking they valves are still in place. To be clear i have nothing to do with this but i trust in the forum members ability to accomplish it.
There is a member here working on it as we speak: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1593300099
Old 01-18-2017, 10:17 AM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

So, what did I miss? Seems all the threads for the plug and play AFM delete have been deleted!!!!! Did it not wind up working? Did GM put a ban on this? WTH happened?
Old 01-18-2017, 11:53 AM
daleong
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

I think the thread on the plug and play module were consolidated into this one in the sales section:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...te-module.html
The following users liked this post:
AKKutz (01-18-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 10:46 AM
0Cajun @ Edgyvette
Former Vendor

Received 393 Likes on 286 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12'-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by descartesfool
Second time I have run my Z51 on track, and second time the AFM actuators have failed. 2 for 2. I got an engine check light, took it to the dealer, and he confirmed it was the same failure as last time I had it on track.

So, 2 track days, 2 failures of the AFM actuators. My car is 2014 C7 Z51 M7 with MRC, running in Track mode, PTM set to Sport 2. Less than 1.5 hours of track driving this time, and they actually failed halfway when I got the CEL.

So who else has had their actuators fail? Ron Fellows school manager told me last year they were having the same issue and that GM knew about it. Dealer checked and there is no new part number since the last ones they replaced.

Anyone know of a solution? Car checks the position/actuation of the actuator every start-up, regardless of what mode you are in. Dealer says mine are in the stuck open position, and until they get replaced, CEL will stay on. So just taking them out is not really an option.

Just pick up a set of our AFM simulators, plug n play, and be done with issues, FOREVER
The following 2 users liked this post by Cajun @ Edgyvette:
John Micheal Henry (02-02-2017), Newton06 (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 10:25 AM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Sales@Edgyvette
Just pick up a set of our AFM simulators, plug n play, and be done with issues, FOREVER
PM sent.

GM denied my warranty claim (ask me how I feel after being 'serviced' by Hendrick Chevrolet of Cary, NC. who uploaded my entire ECM data to GM without even asking).

Would like to clear the CEL.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:31 AM
0Cajun @ Edgyvette
Former Vendor

Received 393 Likes on 286 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12'-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Newton06
PM sent.

GM denied my warranty claim (ask me how I feel after being 'serviced' by Hendrick Chevrolet of Cary, NC. who uploaded my entire ECM data to GM without even asking).

Would like to clear the CEL.
Here ya go. EV AFM delete modules. Unhook them, plug in the modules, tie modules off. DONE, no more CEL

Ready to ship- $149. Send email for invoice

daleong (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 11:29 AM
jonparks
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

God Bless you!
Old 04-30-2017, 10:21 PM
Citation
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 74 Posts

I have a theory about this. Maybe someone else has tried it.

Last year I did two HPDE track days. After the first one I got the check engine light for the AFM actuators.

I just completed a two day session. Before going out on the track I pulled fuse 42. My thought is that the actuators might not fail if they are not energized while exposed to the high heat. My driving education has improved so I'm running a *lot* harder than I did last year.

Two days does not make a scientific test, but at this point my AFM actuators are still working when the fuse is put back in (after cool down). Does anyone have experience with actuators failing when used this way?
daleong (05-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 10:06 AM
jhauswirth
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a 2017 GS A8 in April. I went to the track a couple days ago and I had fuse 42 pulled.
On the way home I heard, what sounded like to me, a steam train like sound on/off only when in v4 mode. Now all I hear is a loud metalic clicking sound when switching between v4/v8.
The cel came on the next day with codes- P12FD P12F0 P26C8 P12F5 P12EB P12E9 P12E8 P12E7
I wish I had known about this problem, I would have bought an m7 as it has no AFM actuators.

Originally Posted by Citation

Last year I did two HPDE track days. After the first one I got the check engine light for the AFM actuators.

I just completed a two day session. Before going out on the track I pulled fuse 42. My thought is that the actuators might not fail if they are not energized while exposed to the high heat. My driving education has improved so I'm running a *lot* harder than I did last year.

Two days does not make a scientific test, but at this point my AFM actuators are still working when the fuse is put back in (after cool down). Does anyone have experience with actuators failing when used this way?
daleong (07-02-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To AFM actuators have failed again on track for my Z51

Old 07-06-2017, 11:31 PM
Iceman09
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Yeah, sorry to say it Citation, but the valves on my '15 M7 Z51 failed when I was running with fuse 42 pulled.

Originally Posted by Citation

Last edited by Iceman09; 07-06-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:12 AM
jhauswirth
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuse 42 is for the actuators which are not the problem. The AFM actuators are on fuse 32.
Since my CEL is on and the actuators are making nasty noises on startup and while switching between v4/v8, I decided to pull 32 and see how it behaves.
All the noises went away and when it was in v4 mode I did not hear a difference. I'm going to drive it some more to test in v4 mode, it's supposed to sound really bad and I haven't experienced that yet.
I wonder if disabling the AFM actuators on track would help since they would not be moving while being too hot. Bad thing would be the CEL coming on when you pull that fuse. Also, I believe the valve is in the open position by default.

Originally Posted by jhauswirth
The cel came on the next day with codes- P12FD P12F0 P26C8 P12F5 P12EB P12E9 P12E8 P12E7
Old 07-07-2017, 12:22 PM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Sales@Edgyvette
Here ya go. EV AFM delete modules. Unhook them, plug in the modules, tie modules off. DONE, no more CEL

Ready to ship- $149. Send email for invoice

I have the same AFM failure problem. Would love to go this direction and just forget about it. Does anyone know whether failing to replace the failed AFM's would cause a problem passing smog testing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AFM actuators have failed again on track for my Z51