C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDR update released, but....

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 09:35 PM
Car54
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Default PDR update released, but....

The long awaited update to the PDR was released Monday. However, everyone anxious to get it installed better take a deep breath have a martini and wait. I happened to be at the dealer on Wednesday to change the diff fluid after the first track day in the 2015 z51. I inquired as to the availability of the update and sure enough it was there. After 2 days not only is the PDR not updated, it now does not exist and it has hosed lots of other things. When the technician tried the update, the screen went black...gone. The solution from GM is to ship in a new PDR and try again. Will the new PDR come with the new code? We don't know. The tech also said that GM told him that it had also happened to another person as well. My next track days are at the ncm on Monday and Tuesday. It may be a lot more interesting than I had planned. I am hoping to get my jvc camera mounted and racepak working. Not what I was counting on. So...the point to all this is to suggest you wait several weeks before you get the PDR update. I think there is more code that needs to be written.

Bill
Old 06-19-2015, 09:47 AM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Not good to hear, but appreciate you sharing...

Good luck on getting it working again & pls keep us posted.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:46 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Car54
The long awaited update to the PDR was released Monday. However, everyone anxious to get it installed better take a deep breath have a martini and wait. I happened to be at the dealer on Wednesday to change the diff fluid after the first track day in the 2015 z51. I inquired as to the availability of the update and sure enough it was there. After 2 days not only is the PDR not updated, it now does not exist and it has hosed lots of other things. When the technician tried the update, the screen went black...gone. The solution from GM is to ship in a new PDR and try again. Will the new PDR come with the new code? We don't know. The tech also said that GM told him that it had also happened to another person as well. My next track days are at the ncm on Monday and Tuesday. It may be a lot more interesting than I had planned. I am hoping to get my jvc camera mounted and racepak working. Not what I was counting on. So...the point to all this is to suggest you wait several weeks before you get the PDR update. I think there is more code that needs to be written.

Bill
Bill, the updates are apparently freezing (not in all cases, but enough) and hosing the Infotainment subsystem (along with the PDR).

There has not been an advisory sent out to halt the updates, but I would assume if it becomes a widespread issue, there will be an advisory posted shortly.

Never hurts to give these things a few weeks to shake out. The USB update path is already flaky enough as it is, and most service technicians think the process has frozen when it hasn't. The reads are extremely slow, sometimes requiring an enormous amount of time to complete.

As we were talking about in another thread, sometimes the techs don't place the car into service mode, and when the power is cut, the update is rendered incomplete, bricking the module code. Happens more often than you'd think.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:26 PM
Jack Be Quick Racing
Pro

Location: Detroit area and Nashville area What day is it? Between MI & TN
Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Gosh... I guess I'll kiss my GoPro tonight and be happy I am taking it with me to Spring Mountain on Sunday.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:09 PM
Car54
Racer

Originally Posted by Theta
Bill, the updates are apparently freezing (not in all cases, but enough) and hosing the Infotainment subsystem (along with the PDR).

There has not been an advisory sent out to halt the updates, but I would assume if it becomes a widespread issue, there will be an advisory posted shortly.

Never hurts to give these things a few weeks to shake out. The USB update path is already flaky enough as it is, and most service technicians think the process has frozen when it hasn't. The reads are extremely slow, sometimes requiring an enormous amount of time to complete.

As we were talking about in another thread, sometimes the techs don't place the car into service mode, and when the power is cut, the update is rendered incomplete, bricking the module code. Happens more often than you'd think.
Hi Theta

Thanks for the insight. The tech indicated that he was on the phone with tech support the whole time but he also indicated that he had to go buy a new class 10 SD card to do the install. Does that mean he was not using the usb update method? I did not think to ask him that question. Or did he have to download it to an SD card then to USB? Does not make sense to me but who knows. I am planning on tracking the car at the ncm on Monday and Tuesday. So...more info later when the new PDR box arrives.

Thanks

Bill

Last edited by Car54; 06-20-2015 at 07:12 PM. Reason: removed the reference to the additional Z51/msrc options not being available. They are and it was pilot error.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:13 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Interesting - it sounds like the new updates are being done to the unit (via the SD reader), itself.

An update wouldn't require a Class 10 card, as that just ensures a minimum of 10MB/s serial data throughput (though many will achieve much higher read/write speeds). However, they may have not had a compatible card available. While there is no specific part number for any SD card available in the system, I'm sure they're working from a list of 'known good' cards - most likely full of Sandisk part numbers.

A serial update on these moves far slower than even a Class 4 would support, but I don't have a good reason for why the update would fail unless the power was cut early, or a bad block was found/written.

The first update(s) were all done via the USB method - sounds like this could be a more specific fix to the module I/O, much like a GoPro firmware update.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:30 PM
Dale760
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a dumb question since Ive only had my 2015 C7 Z51 A8 with PDR 300 miles, and about 2 weeks.

When you push record is it suppose to also show it on the screen or is there a next step to make that happen.

I had the car in track mode and it recorded fine on my class 10 SD card

Thanks Dale
Old 06-23-2015, 01:49 PM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Nevada Silver
I have a dumb question since Ive only had my 2015 C7 Z51 A8 with PDR 300 miles, and about 2 weeks.

When you push record is it suppose to also show it on the screen or is there a next step to make that happen.

I had the car in track mode and it recorded fine on my class 10 SD card

Thanks Dale
When you push record nothing is shown on the screen except recording time, I assume this is for safety reasons. If you are actually on a road course you additionally need to mark the finish line, then every lap after that it records vehicle measurements also ensure your overlay display is in Track then when played back you will actually see the track image in the upper left and your position on the track.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:07 PM
Dale760
Racer

Originally Posted by BRCC
When you push record nothing is shown on the screen except recording time, I assume this is for safety reasons. If you are actually on a road course you additionally need to mark the finish line, then every lap after that it records vehicle measurements also ensure your overlay display is in Track then when played back you will actually see the track image in the upper left and your position on the track.

Thank you for the info, that clears up any confusion. I have watched a few on Youtube just like your describing

Cheers DW
Old 06-23-2015, 10:10 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Any updates? Car54--where are you?
Old 06-23-2015, 11:34 PM
Dabigsnake
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1
Any updates? Car54--where are you?
Tuddy?..........Muldune? Or Herman Munster?
Old 06-26-2015, 10:02 PM
Car54
Racer

PDR box has apparently arrived at the dealer and I have an appointment on Tuesday June 30 to get it installed.

bill
Old 06-27-2015, 04:30 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I had the software update installed in my 2015 yesterday. The tech downloaded the software from a computer to a thumb drive and then installed it via the car's USB port. Only took a few minutes.

Now for the result. I used the recorder on the drive home yesterday and at first wasn't really impressed as the picture still seemed too "fuzzy. But after using it several times today in the sunlight I now can say it is a good improvement. There is no longer a green tint. I feel the sharpness isn't great but definitely better than before.

Mine was just the 2nd car the tech had done and both were very easy according to him.

Good luck to the rest of you!
Old 06-27-2015, 08:38 PM
Dale760
Racer

Originally Posted by Blue Demon
I had the software update installed in my 2015 yesterday. The tech downloaded the software from a computer to a thumb drive and then installed it via the car's USB port. Only took a few minutes.

Now for the result. I used the recorder on the drive home yesterday and at first wasn't really impressed as the picture still seemed too "fuzzy. But after using it several times today in the sunlight I now can say it is a good improvement. There is no longer a green tint. I feel the sharpness isn't great but definitely better than before.

Mine was just the 2nd car the tech had done and both were very easy according to him.

Does this update apply to all 2015 C7s with PDR, my car is only a few weeks old ?

Ive only used mine once on my 300 mile break in ride and it looked pretty good

Thanks Dale

Last edited by Dale760; 06-27-2015 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:11 AM
Car54
Racer

Does this update apply to all 2015 C7s with PDR, my car is only a few weeks old ?

Ive only used mine once on my 300 mile break in ride and it looked pretty good

2015 C7 Corvette break in 6-19-15 - YouTube

Thanks Dale
Dale

Based on what I have seen, I think yours already has the update. The color is outstanding.

bill
Old 06-28-2015, 12:26 PM
Dale760
Racer

Originally Posted by Car54
Dale

Based on what I have seen, I think yours already has the update. The color is outstanding.

bill

Hi Bill

I think you may be right, I will try mine a few more times and see it its consistent. Wonder if they can tell by the VIN of the car or if its just a random thing

Have a good day

Dale
Old 06-28-2015, 08:50 PM
Kenafin
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Bill

I think you may be right, I will try mine a few more times and see it its consistent. Wonder if they can tell by the VIN of the car or if its just a random thing

Have a good day

Dale
I think we have the update if recordings in valet mode don't have sound. I think those without the update have sound in valet mode. I know my car was built April 16th and I don't have sound when recording in valet mode.

Get notified of new replies

To PDR update released, but....

Old 06-29-2015, 12:47 AM
Dale760
Racer

Originally Posted by Kenafin
I think we have the update if recordings in valet mode don't have sound. I think those without the update have sound in valet mode. I know my car was built April 16th and I don't have sound when recording in valet mode.

Good to know, thanks

DW
Old 06-29-2015, 05:09 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Blue Demon

Thank you for the info - the Infotainment USB update is a much more tried-and-true/safer option than the mentioned direct update. That's just a bad idea period.

The update procedure is now specified as USB, so I would say it's a green light for those of you that want to go in and get it done. Should take 25-45 minutes depending on the tech's familiarity with running SPS and prepping the key for programming.

Hi Bill

Have a good day

Dale
The updates and CVNs are stored by the VIN in the SPS database. We are able to see the calibrations and software updates your car has/needs by VIN. Give your service department a call with your VIN handy to see if you are in need of the update.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:07 PM
Dale760
Racer

Originally Posted by Theta
Thank you for the info - the Infotainment USB update is a much more tried-and-true/safer option than the mentioned direct update. That's just a bad idea period.

The update procedure is now specified as USB, so I would say it's a green light for those of you that want to go in and get it done. Should take 25-45 minutes depending on the tech's familiarity with running SPS and prepping the key for programming.

The updates and CVNs are stored by the VIN in the SPS database. We are able to see the calibrations and software updates your car has/needs by VIN. Give your service department a call with your VIN handy to see if you are in need of the update.
Ok very good to know, I will do just that

Thanks Dale

Quick Reply: PDR update released, but....