C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 LT1 Revisions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 04:20 PM
davanz
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Default 2016 LT1 Revisions?

There is an article in Hot Rod Magazine in which the lead development engineer for the new Camaro, Aaron Link, is quoted as saying that the LT1 in the 2016 Camaro would have a "legit air/oil separator", which is "cleverly packaged".

Does anyone know whether this is referring to the separator baffles in the current Stingray LT1, or something new to be in the Camaro, (and thus in the 2016 Stingray as well)?
Old 06-19-2015, 04:39 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Unless, as you noted, they're talking about the complex notches in the valve covers (which serve a debatable function), they could be referring to something similar to what the Z06 already has (an evaporative container - essentially a catch can).

I don't see any reason why this wouldn't make it to the 2016 Z51, but we don't have the service information on those as of yet.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:07 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

My guess this is a simple catch can---But GM rather than calling it that has changed the name to an oil/air separator-- Reason is ---my guess is not admit specifically that all LS1/LS2/LS3's needed one from the onset--as does the LT1
Old 06-26-2015, 01:00 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by tblu92
My guess this is a simple catch can---But GM rather than calling it that has changed the name to an oil/air separator-- Reason is ---my guess is not admit specifically that all LS1/LS2/LS3's needed one from the onset--as does the LT1

The term "oil/air separator" or "oil separator", has been used for a long time by many manufacturers, namely the Germans, for the CCV system oil/air separator part (which is typically just a plastic valve or like on the older M3's, a plastic catch can). It's definitely not an unusual or new part name for a catch can by the auto industry.

I would consider it completely normal for a manufacturer to use this term rather than the aftermarket slang term of "catch can".
Old 06-26-2015, 01:03 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

But I would really LOVE to know if the 2016's have a revised CCV system.... That would put to bed a lot of theories on this forum as well as validate us getting an aftermarket solution (pre-16).
Old 06-26-2015, 02:48 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

The lt1 is the only one that needs one. Your so wrong I have had many Ls1's ls6 ls3's Installed supercharger's never an issue NONE needed a catch can.

About 7-8 total

The 1lt is a GM fail in my book. My lt 4 has been great has doesn't
oil like the Lt1.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 06-26-2015 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:53 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
The lt1 is the only one that needs one. Your so wrong I have had many Ls1's ls6 ls3's Installed supercharger never an issue NONE needed a catch can.

oil like the Lt1.

What's wrong with the 1lt package? Offers a great value, no?

Why would you call the LT1 a failure? Please elaborate
Old 06-26-2015, 03:12 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by \Boost Monkey/
What's wrong with the 1lt package? Offers a great value, no?

Why would you call the LT1 a failure? Please elaborate
Well if you look at the number of them. You can remove the intake and pour oil out. NICE! Install shops call it typical.
Mine had it from day one. A catch can is band aid. If needs catch can.
It is a joke. Like I said I'm a GM fan.
Had many Camaro's and Corvette's
with ls engines. None had issue like the many 1lt's do. Just look at the full catch cans and these are old driver's not beating the car.
1lt is a fail and I'll never buy another.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:19 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Theta
Unless, as you noted, they're talking about the complex notches in the valve covers (which serve a debatable function), they could be referring to something similar to what the Z06 already has (an evaporative container - essentially a catch can).

I don't see any reason why this wouldn't make it to the 2016 Z51, but we don't have the service information on those as of yet.
Theta can we see this "evaporative container" ?
thanks
Old 06-26-2015, 04:07 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

The lt1 is the only one that needs one. Your so wrong I have had many Ls1's ls6 ls3's Installed supercharger's never an issue NONE needed a catch can.

About 7-8 total

oil like the Lt1.
No way---everyone knows how dirty any LS 1-2 or 3 intake manifold is-- Even bone stock---A modded one whether hds/cam or boosted make the oil ingestion via the PCV system even worse !!---There are 100's or threads concerning this on how to clean up the manifold
Retro fits kits include LS6 intake valley and PCV conversions and numerous catch cans
The LT1 IS cleaner than a LS engine--exception being the dry sumps have a tendancy to burble air bubbles and oil vapor back into the air intake vents---
Old 06-26-2015, 04:10 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

I have catch cans on both of my G8's ( as well as my Z51 A8) ALL collect oil. G8's ( L-76/LS-2)seem to have just as much oil in the catch can reservoir per thousand miles as the LT1.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:05 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

No way---everyone knows how dirty any LS 1-2 or 3 intake manifold is-- Even bone stock---A modded one whether hds/cam or boosted make the oil ingestion via the PCV system even worse !!---There are 100's or threads concerning this on how to clean up the manifold
Retro fits kits include LS6 intake valley and PCV conversions and numerous catch cans
The LT1 IS cleaner than a LS engine--exception being the dry sumps have a tendancy to burble air bubbles and oil vapor back into the air intake vents---
Sorry mine wasn't. ALL My ls motors ran clean and didn't use oil or a catch can.
Catch cans were never an issue or oil
Ton's of Lt1 using catch cans on the stock engines. Dry and wet sump both.
Can cans companies are selling more than ever for the lt1's.
1lt heads will be full of carbon and soot and may turn out to be not as good as the Ls3.
Look at the many oil problems on the 1lt the ls motors were never that had that problem.

ls engines didn't need one stock for sure your still wrong.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 06-26-2015 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:34 PM
C2367
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

Never use a Catch Can on any of the LS1's, LS'3 or other in the past , did not see a issue. I hope this DI does not become a problem with build-up for me as other have seen. I may of had second thoughts if known. I also lease a Hyundai for a DD that has DI with now 31,000mi. that seem to run fine with no noticeable loss of power, if anything it seem to run stronger now with out adding any oil between 7500 mile changes. I do hope this C7 does the same as my DD does in time.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:40 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C2367
Never use a Catch Can on any of the LS1's, LS'3 or other in the past , did not see a issue. I hope this DI does not become a problem with build-up for me as other have seen. I may of had second thoughts if known. I also lease a Hyundai for a DD that has DI with now 31,000mi. that seem to run fine with no noticeable loss of power, if anything it seem to run stronger now with out adding any oil between 7500 mile changes. I do hope this C7 does the same as my DD does in time.
The way they push oil your going to have a build up.
Check your tail pipes if a lot is coming out you know you have problems. Should be a hint of gray and no oil residue.
My lt 4 is burning a lot cleaner than the lt1 I owned.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:29 AM
C2367
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

The way they push oil your going to have a build up.
Check your tail pipes if a lot is coming out you know you have problems. Should be a hint of gray and no oil residue.
My lt 4 is burning a lot cleaner than the lt1 I owned.
I think I have a good one, no noticeable oil usage, pipes stay cleaner the then The LS3's I had. I did add a catch can anyway to be safer. I added the can after the reads and when I checked and cleaned TB I notice a very fine film of oil on the back side of the Blade, no noticeable oil in the PCV hose.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:55 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Sorry mine wasn't. ALL My ls motors ran clean and didn't use oil or a catch can.
Catch cans were never an issue or oil
Ton's of Lt1 using catch cans on the stock engines. Dry and wet sump both.
Can cans companies are selling more than ever for the lt1's.
1lt heads will be full of carbon and soot and may turn out to be not as good as the Ls3.
Look at the many oil problems on the 1lt the ls motors were never that had that problem.

ls engines didn't need one stock for sure your still wrong.
You are entitled to your opinion--but that is all it is your opinion--I am not wrong as you say but it is my educated opinion from MY experience---
As a tuner I have seen 1000's of LS engines and now about 50 LT engines---- My opinion and as most others the LS engine is dirty--period The LT with DI is much cleaner but as a cautionary device most install a catch can on a LT----
All the LT intakes I've examined have only an oil sheen in then where as in a LS engine if you left the intake on the garage floor T-Body side down they would have a puddle of oil emerge overnite---
My suggestion is if you hate GM so much and have nothing good to say about their engineering --Do us all a favor and go guy yourself a Mustang or Dodge !!
Old 06-27-2015, 03:16 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

You are entitled to your opinion--but that is all it is your opinion--I am not wrong as you say but it is my educated opinion from MY experience---
As a tuner I have seen 1000's of LS engines and now about 50 LT engines---- My opinion and as most others the LS engine is dirty--period The LT with DI is much cleaner but as a cautionary device most install a catch can on a LT----
All the LT intakes I've examined have only an oil sheen in then where as in a LS engine if you left the intake on the garage floor T-Body side down they would have a puddle of oil emerge overnite---
My suggestion is if you hate GM so much and have nothing good to say about their engineering --Do us all a favor and go guy yourself a Mustang or Dodge !!

HAHA! Where did I say I hated GM! Where? I like GM that's why I own 3 Corvettes. I just don't like the issue with the Lt1. Since it is well known and many many posts on it. A lot of blame of over filling but that's not the issue.

There is many more catch cans on Lt1's than Ls engines and about 0 on Ls motors.,. Only heavily modded
Ls motors even think about putting them on.

No the Lt1 is worse than any LS motor for oiling not convincing me otherwise. Too much proof with hundreds of threads.

None of my ls motors even had oil anywhere. I added headers and blower kits. Not behind the throttle blade either. I had see a few but not to the scale of the lt1.

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 LT1 Revisions?

Old 06-28-2015, 12:48 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

HAHA! Where did I say I hated GM! Where? I like GM that's why I own 3 Corvettes. I just don't like the issue with the Lt1. Since it is well known and many many posts on it. A lot of blame of over filling but that's not the issue.

There is many more catch cans on Lt1's than Ls engines and about 0 on Ls motors.,. Only heavily modded

No the Lt1 is worse than any LS motor for oiling not convincing me otherwise. Too much proof with hundreds of threads.

None of my ls motors even had oil anywhere. I added headers and blower kits. Not behind the throttle blade either. I had see a few but not to the scale of the lt1.
And why don't you share how many engine failures you've had running your LS engines without a catch can----You seem to leave that part of your history out---Everyone knows who you are and your history--Always blaming someone else for blown engines when in reality--it's your stubborn attitude about common sense that keeps you breaking parts--
Old 06-28-2015, 10:40 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 864 Likes on 601 Posts

Dude...any big motor with power can push oil. Regardless if it's a LS or a LT or a 351 Windsor or a hemi. It's just physics.

Dry sump cars had the issue of getting overfilled initially that caused all kinds of problems with oil in the intake. When motors get driven hard you get blow by and oil gets places. Your golden LT4 does it to...you just don't want to admit it..... It's the same damn motor practically dude..just with a blower on it.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:52 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

And why don't you share how many engine failures you've had running your LS engines without a catch can----You seem to leave that part of your history out---Everyone knows who you are and your history--Always blaming someone else for blown engines when in reality--it's your stubborn attitude about common sense that keeps you breaking parts--
For sure more Corvettes and miles in them than you!
Haha! this keeps getting better! I never HAD a failure or any problem
with any GM Lsx engines. Breaking parts? Blow engines! My history? Your going senile. You have me mixed up with someone else.

Quick Reply: 2016 LT1 Revisions?