C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PTS FAB C7 Twin Turbo Kit - TAKING PREORDERS NOW!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 06:54 PM
sycraft
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Donor = 10K,,, I think not... I can have a custom built kit for slightly more than that. Sorry to be a downer, but Donor cars usually come at a deeper discount.
The following users liked this post:
LSRX (12-14-2015)
Old 07-06-2015, 07:40 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by sycraft
Donor = 10K,,, I think not... I can have a custom built kit for slightly more than that. Sorry to be a downer, but Donor cars usually come at a deeper discount.
I tend to agree. The first couple donor cars should come in around $7,995 to get the word out. At least thats my opinion..
Old 07-06-2015, 07:55 PM
SquatchMachining
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

What kind of stainless are the turbo manifolds made out of? Do they support 100% of the weight of the turbos? Should consider welding the gates directly to the turbine housings for better control.

Last edited by SquatchMachining; 07-06-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:38 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Frans96ss
Wow that graph needs some tune help up top... Kit looks nice though.
Looks nice and well done under the hood.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:03 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by sycraft
This is either for people who just want to say they have twin turbos or for people who want to make huge power with a built engine.

Why spend 10-12k to make 700whp when a centri with headers and meth can do it for a lot less? Because you want to that's why lol
The following users liked this post:
LSRX (12-14-2015)
Old 07-07-2015, 12:40 AM
LSRX
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 10mm_
This is either for people who just want to say they have twin turbos or for people who want to make huge power with a built engine.

Why spend 10-12k to make 700whp when a centri with headers and meth can do it for a lot less? Because you want to that's why lol

NICE KIT! Unfortunately not needed especially for 700 h.p. There are already other twin kits available or used to be available in the 12K price range. They may not be around anymore due to lack of interest.

What is needed is a budget single turbo kit priced at or just above the present supercharger kits.

Last edited by LSRX; 12-14-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:15 AM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

The kit has already been prototyped , see the pics. I think 'donor' was just bad choice of word.

I think 2k off and free install/tuning worth another 2 easily is quite the discount.

-and I don't think these guys came on here with this post looking for other ideas (cheaper ways for a customer to hit 700wheel), or to gauge interest on pricing.

Unless it is to be copied overseas it i$ what it i$ at least until they reach bulk price rate with some of the expensive items. (which means a lot of people need to buy first).

I mean hell if there are suckers like me willing to pay $800 for a poorly fitting fiberglass spoiler from showstoppers then 10k turn key for a twin turbo system sounds damn good!

Good luck to you guys for trying and putting it out there. I love me some turbos. (sorry no i am not interested however).
Old 07-09-2015, 12:19 PM
Mr Guns
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I think it's impressive they're hitting 700whp with the stock fuel system, stock cam, pump gas, and no meth. I'd like to see what it'd make with meth or flexfuel.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:44 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by 10mm_

Because turbo's drive different.

I have now had all 3, centre, PD, and turbo's. The Centri is the best value, they drive way better than I had thought, for the money impossible to beat.

I still prefer the way a turbo car drives but then again I really like diesels. I don't think there price is out of line, lots of parts.

Break it down:

ECS Kit at $5300 includes 1 FI unit, 1 BOV, 1 intercooler, and about 6 pieces of pipe with little/no welding work involved.

Turbo kit includes 2 FI units, 2 intercoolers, 2 BOV's, replacement for headers your not buying and about 2X the amount of piping.

If you look at it takes 2 SC kits to make the parts of 1 turbo kit the price is not out of line at all if you add in $1800 for headers you'd buy.

However I think the graph should look much better IMO. That looks like a centri.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:09 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by MIGHTYM0USE
The kit has already been prototyped , see the pics. I think 'donor' was just bad choice of word.

I think 2k off and free install/tuning worth another 2 easily is quite the discount.
I actually agree, for a kit that has been fitted and tested already, they are offering a healthy discount for what is essentially marketing cars. I also think this kit is reasonably priced to begin with given it's a twin kit with good turbos and parts (not sure about piping or IC's yet).

I have seen new FI kits developed dozens of times on the many cars I have owned and all the forums. I am actually surprised they offered what they did, despite competitor setups.

I mean hell if there are suckers like me willing to pay $800 for a poorly fitting fiberglass spoiler from showstoppers then 10k turn key for a twin turbo system sounds damn good!
I would have warned you beforehand to be cautious.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:25 PM
0Performance_Turbo
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

QUOTE=SquatchMachining;1589993369]What kind of stainless are the turbo manifolds made out of? Do they support 100% of the weight of the turbos? Should consider welding the gates directly to the turbine housings for better control.[ QUOTE]

Manifolds are currently built out of schedule 10 stainless tig welded and back purged. However, we are working with Treadstone and one other company to have the manifolds made from cast stainless to ensure longevity of the manifolds.

The passenger side manifold is actually a two piece design, the mid pipe from collector to turbo housing has a bracket welded to it to help hold the weight of the turbo. As for the driver side, we decided to just use the manifold as support, and have been doing as much real world testing as possible to see where the weak links are, so far after several half mile passes (20+ second of WOT) and countless hours driving it down town rush hour traffic, going down very poor streets (lots of bumps and pot holes) we havent ran into any issues with cracks in material, or anything like that. But that is the major reason why we are pushing to get the manifolds done as a cast stainless one piece design.

we will not be selling the kits with wedled manifolds until we get the manifolds done in cast stainless, but we are moments away from having them ready.

Down pipes and dump tubes are built from .065 wall 304L stainless, and intercooler piping is built from .060 wall 6061 aluminum.

Tial MVS gates, and Epman 50mm race valves.

we will have lots of upgrade options all the way to v band housing 6767's, 44mm gates, bigger cores, fuel system upgrades and more.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:31 PM
SquatchMachining
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Schedule 10 what?? What grade of stainless?

Cast manifolds would be a great idea.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:39 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by SquatchMachining

Cast manifolds would require extraordinarily expensive tooling/setup. That is usually something reserved for high volume parts.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:51 PM
0Performance_Turbo
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by SquatchMachining

Whoops, sorry, sch 10 304.

Yes, I am going to make the cast stainless manifolds happen before we release any kits. I don't care if it pushes back the wait time, I already have the manifolds digitized, I'm waiting to hear back from both companies on price and wait time on when we can get them started. it may take an extra week or two to get things rolling with those, but it will be worth it in the end.

To answer the gate placement, and boost control, putting them on the housings does give much better control. We see no issues with the system now, boost comes in around 2800 rpm and is at full boost by 3300rpm, and holds very steady. This also was with no boost controller, just gate pressure only, to see how the system works with out assistance from an outside controller.

I cant justify cutting and welding every housing for the kit, and if we have an upgrade option for v band housings I"m not going to cut and weld to a 500-800$ housing. It becomes an issue with warranty of the turbo and if you go to resell the housing or turbo, not many people will want a housing that has to have a 38mm gate on it. Its just not realistic.

If its something more and more people demand for then maybe I'll go back to the drawing board on the manifolds, and make an option, but I don't see it being needed.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:23 PM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Are cast manifolds really needed? The exhaust track looks very long to the turbis anyway. Why not just keep as schedule 10 and put some strong braces to hold the trunks up?

Also I think your intercoolers need a redesign! Flowing paths like that are never good for low pressure drop systems. Would be better looking at how APS did it on the C5s (single pass and similarly mounted). Also have you looked at mounting a2w coolers in a similar location? Vengence have had great success with that spot on the turbo C6s.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:54 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

I mean hell if there are suckers like me willing to pay $800 for a poorly fitting fiberglass spoiler from showstoppers
Wow thanks god I didn't order that. I was so close to ordering and then noticed another vendor double d mods had what looked like the exact same spoiler in fiberglass for $250. Lets be real those spoilers on our cars are not going to do crap till well over 100mph and on the street doing that is not smart. Anyway the people that got their wings from dennis at double d seem to like theirs. Mine will be here monday.

I scratched my stock spoiler so I was going to get another stock one then I seen the highrise one from them that looked exactly like the showstopper one for way less. Seriously what is the difference?
Old 07-09-2015, 07:04 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

The twin turbo kit looks like a nice setup.

I'm struggling to understand how you are making 10 lbs of boost without Meth for safety. I thought running more than 7-8 lbs would cause detonation. How do you compensate for this in the kit? Since your making 700 I assume you're not pulling timing. Are you running race fuel or something?

Get notified of new replies

To PTS FAB C7 Twin Turbo Kit - TAKING PREORDERS NOW!!

Old 07-09-2015, 07:26 PM
ilivas
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike02Z

I'm struggling to understand how you are making 10 lbs of boost without Meth for safety. I thought running more than 7-8 lbs would cause detonation. How do you compensate for this in the kit? Since your making 700 I assume you're not pulling timing. Are you running race fuel or something?
turbos are much more efficient than SCs.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:27 PM
0Performance_Turbo
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Mike02Z

There was a lot of speculation with that, we went into this with the mentality that we will eventually blow this thing up. we want to be opn top of this platform as far as what it can handle with real world experience.

That being said, we started at 6 psi and went from there. We use a tuner that is very well known for these cars, ran into tons of issues with how the car and efi system reacted to the changes, messed with BOV placement, messed with MAF placement, and got to see what the system did. Alot of the time it was giving off false knock for no reason, shutting down the throttle blade from resonance in the fuel pump. but after working hard on it for two days straight, we ended up at 705rwhp with 11* of timing on 91 octane, no meth. There is a good amount of power left on the table with good fuel and proper timing. We decided this was pretty much max on 91 fuel.

We are currently running the Z06 C7 pump and injectors on E85 and 13 psi and we are at 50% DC on the system at WOT.

Yes, we are reworking the intercooler system as we speak. On the dyno and doing high way pulls we never reached over 115* IAT's, but when we got to the half miles, IAT's were way beyond what was safe after a 20 second pull WOT. I'm working with Treadstone to get a new 25x12x4.5 front mount by monday next week, then we will go do some testing and get the IAT's under control on half mile passes.

The passenger manifold is braced, and I just built a new brace for the driver side manifold.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:12 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Performance_Turbo
There was a lot of speculation with that, we went into this with the mentality that we will eventually blow this thing up. we want to be opn top of this platform as far as what it can handle with real world experience.

That being said, we started at 6 psi and went from there. We use a tuner that is very well known for these cars, ran into tons of issues with how the car and efi system reacted to the changes, messed with BOV placement, messed with MAF placement, and got to see what the system did. Alot of the time it was giving off false knock for no reason, shutting down the throttle blade from resonance in the fuel pump. but after working hard on it for two days straight, we ended up at 705rwhp with 11* of timing on 91 octane, no meth. There is a good amount of power left on the table with good fuel and proper timing. We decided this was pretty much max on 91 fuel.

We are currently running the Z06 C7 pump and injectors on E85 and 13 psi and we are at 50% DC on the system at WOT.

Yes, we are reworking the intercooler system as we speak. On the dyno and doing high way pulls we never reached over 115* IAT's, but when we got to the half miles, IAT's were way beyond what was safe after a 20 second pull WOT. I'm working with Treadstone to get a new 25x12x4.5 front mount by monday next week, then we will go do some testing and get the IAT's under control on half mile passes.

The passenger manifold is braced, and I just built a new brace for the driver side manifold.
Thanks for the detailed response.

Originally Posted by ilivas
turbos are much more efficient than SCs.
Tell me how the efficiency of the turbo has anything to do with my question? It's about the amount of boost being pumped into a stock motor without some sort of detonation protection. Turbos are certainly more efficient but also create a lot more underhood heat. It's a trade-off.

Quick Reply: PTS FAB C7 Twin Turbo Kit - TAKING PREORDERS NOW!!