C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Nut....one time use?!

Old 06-24-2015, 12:58 PM
djseto
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Nut....one time use?!

I took a set of OEM black rims I purchased from another member on this forum to my local dealer to day to get mounted. The service guy called me up a few hours ago and told me the Tech came back and said the aluminum nut that holds the TPMS sensor onto the rim is a one time use only nut. Apparently, to his surprise, they don't stock the TPMS repair kits which include this nut and the part is back ordered. He called around to some local tire shops, other dealers, and NAPA Auto parts and no one has them. I obviously don't want to buy a new TPMS kit.

He said with my permission, they can reuse them, but they needed to make me aware (I assume they are differing liability). I assume some lock tight on the threads would be good and that I should be OK reusing this nut?

Thoughts?
Old 06-24-2015, 08:59 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

That is a crock, I use them over many times.

It's only a nut and a rubber washer, good for ever unless it is broken or damaged, which you would really have a hard time doing under normal use.

It would be years before they were unusable especially for the way corvettes are used.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:59 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,139 Posts

No lock tight. Just reuse them. It just amazes me how uniformed and simply wrong some "techs" are about things that they are suppose to know about.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:55 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

TPMS service pack = cheap insurance
Old 06-27-2015, 05:13 PM
sycraft
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Interesting for those that change tire caps:

Before the tire is removed from the wheel note the following items to avoid tire pressure sensor damage upon tire dismounting.

◦Place the cap and the valve on a dry clean surface after removal, the cap is aluminum and the valve is nickel plated to prevent corrosion and are not to be substituted with a cap or valve made of any other material
Old 06-27-2015, 10:14 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by sycraft
Interesting for those that change tire caps:

Before the tire is removed from the wheel note the following items to avoid tire pressure sensor damage upon tire dismounting.

◦Place the cap and the valve on a dry clean surface after removal, the cap is aluminum and the valve is nickel plated to prevent corrosion and are not to be substituted with a cap or valve made of any other material
My valve stem caps are gray plastic.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:05 PM
sycraft
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

15122620 is the part number for the OEM correct caps, I went by dealer and picked up a set from the PDI department as they change all theirs to nitrogen caps. I will let them know in the future to leave the OEM ones with the car, believe it or not, they list for 5.49 each....
Old 06-28-2015, 06:20 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

As long as you use plastic or aluminum caps, without brass inserts, it doesn't really matter whether they're OEM or not. You just want to make sure you never, ever, put caps with brass threads on your aluminum valves. They can literally weld themselves together through galvanic corrosion.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:41 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 218 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by meyerweb
As long as you use plastic or aluminum caps, without brass inserts, it doesn't really matter whether they're OEM or not. You just want to make sure you never, ever, put caps with brass threads on your aluminum valves. They can literally weld themselves together through galvanic corrosion.
This is extremely good advice that 99% of people don't know (and obviously, it doesn't come up a lot in practical non-engineering applications) - bimetallic reactions are a PITA!

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS Nut....one time use?!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPMS Nut....one time use?!