C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I wire the valves into a non-NPP stock system

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 06:39 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Theta
That is certainly interesting. Can't see what the reasoning would be behind it unless you somehow ended up with an Npp-wired and enabled system (RPO) with a non-NPP physical exhaust as a swapout.

Or, they've just streamlined the CCM/ECM process, but will confuse many people when the settings don't change anything.
I also have the settings for ESM but obviously dont have NPP or the wiring for it for that matter. Have to assume they are trying to streamline the config files between the two models.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:51 AM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Well hell, that's just going to complicate things down the road.

As of the last time we all put our heads together on this (April), we (meaning several of the Tech Contributors here) hadn't seen this.

I don't know whether this will be a positive or not, as in your case, you don't have the wiring. Sort of like the tow hook addition - great to have those added without knowing because they actually served a purpose. Changing over to a flat (single-code CCM) system without wiring (and without any ability to retrofit that wiring from an OE level) is just a recipe for trouble tickets from buyers wondering why the sound doesn't change.

Watch this go in the direction of BMW with the cabin sounds... They can take my M-Active sound and shove it. Thankfully, it can be coded out, but you can see what I mean.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:05 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Theta
Well hell, that's just going to complicate things down the road.

As of the last time we all put our heads together on this (April), we (meaning several of the Tech Contributors here) hadn't seen this.

I don't know whether this will be a positive or not, as in your case, you don't have the wiring. Sort of like the tow hook addition - great to have those added without knowing because they actually served a purpose. Changing over to a flat (single-code CCM) system without wiring (and without any ability to retrofit that wiring from an OE level) is just a recipe for trouble tickets from buyers wondering why the sound doesn't change.

Watch this go in the direction of BMW with the cabin sounds... They can take my M-Active sound and shove it. Thankfully, it can be coded out, but you can see what I mean.
Yep sure can. When I first got the car, before I learned all I know on it, I messed with the settings for ESM as was like "WTF its not working!?". Later found out it was because I did not have NPP. So yea I agree, could be a mess for service tickets.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:21 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by sigelitest
From the infotainment system I can select if I want the exhaust to be set to sport ,track ext or be based on the driving mode. I will take a pic of it later today and post it. I was supprised I didn't have npp exhaust since I could select the way it functions on the screen
it's there on my non-NPP 2015 screen. Made me wonder if GM may of been planning a dealer upgrade path - for sometime in the future.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:48 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I'll back off of the assumption earlier regarding the other device. If, in fact, GM has streamlined the ECM/CCM interaction and part numbers with SPS code, there is an ability to sniff CAN data (if it does exist on non-NPP cars).

Perhaps I've underestimated them in this case, but sadly, this will only apply to 2015+, and it may still not work like that.

I don't have any hard feelings or feelings of competition toward them or the product. After working with these systems and modules for a long time, it's nice to know there's some other poor guy that's been banging his head over the same thing.

The difference will remain in the way they work - if they can truly integrate into that ESM menu that GM so kindly placed there, then there's a way to give the factory-level of integration. I don't see the wire actually being there, but hey - it may very well be!

My design, however, is geared toward a manual on/off switch. Many NPP-owners want the ability to switch on and off immediately and skip the menu. It's all about needs/wants, and that's what's great about multiple products. Lord knows my project is small-scale, and couldn't keep up with high levels of demand.

Anyway, I'm still befuddled by this news. Seems like a very cheap solution to do this to customers... I hope that Mike is correct, but from what I've seen on a late-production 2015, the wiring still isn't there, so no way to do a factory retrofit without some intensive work (which is beyond the normal service center scope).

Quick Reply: Can I wire the valves into a non-NPP stock system