C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I thought Hawk pads (counterweights) might be trouble

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 10:47 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I said it before David, and I'll say it again...

!! O. M. G. !!

Unless your particular pads are defective or you managed to get them installed INSIDE-OUT, that amount of wear is INSANE.

Just used on the street and in a few autocrosses ??
Whatcha gonna do now ??

Last edited by EvilBoffin; 07-26-2015 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:17 AM
savage
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by CrystalRacer
I said it before David, and I'll say it again...

!! O. M. G. !!

Unless your particular pads are defective or you managed to get them installed INSIDE-OUT, that amount of wear is INSANE.

Just used on the street and in a few autocrosses ??
Whatcha gonna do now ??

Very little street driving , two autocross( 14 runs total, under 1 minute each) now I look for rotors that can handle these pads, I don't want to give up these pads, forget about the rotors glowing anymore now it's a flame shooting out each wheel on hard breaking, F.Y.I the rears are fine, you can't even tell the pads were changed(YET) lol any idea who/ what/ where I can get front rotors for Z51 that will tame these pads?
Old 07-27-2015, 01:07 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09

Suggest that you contact the NASA space agency to see if they have something that would slow down the re-entry of a Saturn 5 rocket... LOL !

Maybe Essex Racing Services can hook you up with some rotors that can survive these things.... worth a shout at least.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:51 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CrystalRacer
Suggest that you contact the NASA space agency to see if they have something that would slow down the re-entry of a Saturn 5 rocket... LOL !

Maybe Essex Racing Services can hook you up with some rotors that can survive these things.... worth a shout at least.
Essex does! They are over a grand for the fronts( little more research before I spend that much) I will post more when I know more, thanks
Old 07-27-2015, 08:33 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

Crystal racer I'm doing all this research so you don't have to someday, lol, well after spending more time working on these rotors than the 16 hour shift I'm doing at the brewery, this is what I came up with, stock rotors are best for stock pads, their Are many midrange rotors that can tame these midrange pads( time to choose ) back to work
Old 07-28-2015, 01:10 AM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09

Thanks for going thru the effort here for us, David.

I'm amazed that the stock rotors are really that soft... the factory must've got a good deal on some "slightly used" Soviet pot-metal from Chernobyl.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:11 PM
15C7Z51
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have to think something is wrong here. How a rotor can get destroyed in 15 minutes seems crazy. I tracked my 370Z for 5 years & 25 events on same stock rotors and Hawk HP+. After 5 years 65 K miles stock rotors still looked fresh . I've tracked C7 on stock pads - OK rotors look fine. I have a set of hawk street race in the box ready to go for next event ... Very hesitant now
Old 07-28-2015, 02:53 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 15C7Z51
I have to think something is wrong here. How a rotor can get destroyed in 15 minutes seems crazy. I tracked my 370Z for 5 years & 25 events on same stock rotors and Hawk HP+. After 5 years 65 K miles stock rotors still looked fresh . I've tracked C7 on stock pads - OK rotors look fine. I have a set of hawk street race in the box ready to go for next event ... Very hesitant now
Which rears did you get? Also I'm going with DBA 4000 slots only( no drill holes) they Are $150 each, hawk told me today these are the rotors the pads were tested on and they work/last, they also told me the stock rotors have to much carbon in them that is where the flames were coming from,
Old 07-28-2015, 03:41 PM
15C7Z51
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by savage
Which rears did you get? Also I'm going with DBA 4000 slots only( no drill holes) they Are $150 each, hawk told me today these are the rotors the pads were tested on and they work/last, they also told me the stock rotors have to much carbon in them that is where the flames were coming from,

Fronts 453 R585<br/>Tears 727 R 592<br/><br/>Not sure how to get a full track day out of rotors
Old 07-28-2015, 07:12 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 15C7Z51

Fronts 453 R585<br/>Tears 727 R 592<br/><br/>Not sure how to get a full track day out of rotors
His name is Edwin ( 626 321 7211 ) he is R&D for hawk, he is the one that goes to Ron fellows driving school to test hawk pads ect, he is a good guy and wants feedback he already knows stock rotors are not what they should be. Now that I talked to him I feel better knowing what is what, FYI my best friend has a 2007 zo6 he got new , three sets of pads and never changed rotors, those days are over!!!
Old 08-03-2015, 07:08 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

Hawk told me these will tame the streetrace pads, alot cheaper than I thought $160 each, we shall see.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:43 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

Hawk told me these will tame the streetrace pads, alot cheaper than I thought $160 each, we shall see.
Three days of street driving and no crazy rotor wear with DBA rotors ( no bad signs) the factory z51 rotors show a lot of wear during the bedd in with hawk streetrace pads, the DBA 's are the way to tame these pads, turning now to the noise and dust these pads give off , I will be swapping out front pads when I put on Hoosiers and back to stock pads with street tires, changing pads is very easy on these cars,
Old 08-12-2015, 09:55 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

I had to clean out all the factory z51 rotor from the seam of the streetrace pads,

Old 08-12-2015, 11:31 PM
Zajac
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hawk HP+ pads

I am also amazed and the condition of those rotors with the Hawk HP+ pads.

1. I was at Ron Fellows School and they use the Hawk pads and the rotors I looked at didn't look anything like those trashed rotors!

2. I use the Hawk HP+ pads for NASA HPDE Group 4 on my supercharged Saleen Mustang with Stoptech calipers and Stoptech rotors and the rotors last at least a full season. The Stoptech rotors were not replaced due to gouges and wear like those trashed rotors but because they ended up with cracks but still had " relatively smooth" surfaces at the end.

3. So it it the crummy C7 rotors?
Old 08-13-2015, 07:59 AM
savage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zajac
I am also amazed and the condition of those rotors with the Hawk HP+ pads.

1. I was at Ron Fellows School and they use the Hawk pads and the rotors I looked at didn't look anything like those trashed rotors!

2. I use the Hawk HP+ pads for NASA HPDE Group 4 on my supercharged Saleen Mustang with Stoptech calipers and Stoptech rotors and the rotors last at least a full season. The Stoptech rotors were not replaced due to gouges and wear like those trashed rotors but because they ended up with cracks but still had " relatively smooth" surfaces at the end.

3. So it it the crummy C7 rotors?
im running the streetrace pads, one step up from the HP+, very long story short- stock z51 rotors are fine for factory pads and all other pads that i dont want to use LOL, but if you want real stopping power you have to change those front very soft rotors to run hawk street race pads. this is my 13th corvette(2nd c7)i have been autocrossing 25 years and these brakes(pads) are by far the best i ever had, it was worth all the work to get them to work for me( change front rotors) factory rotors in rear are fine with the street race pads, also i live in the cold northeast these pads dont need much heat to work, 100 degrees and up is their range, i autocross in spring and fall in the 30's, most hot pads dont work in the very cold, it wont take much to get these to 100 degrees.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:53 AM
CDH76
Safety Car

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

I don't think anyone really answered what he counter weights are for? Do they reduce noise? The reason I asked is I ordered some Carbotech 1521's for my c7 z51 and they did not have counter weights. My OEM ones do and I see these Hawks do. The 1521's are suppose to be quiet but mine were so loud I took them off. I am wondering if this is why?

I tried everything to get the noise to stop (Clean rotors, lube back side of pads).
Old 08-13-2015, 12:28 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CoolShoesWalkin
I don't think anyone really answered what he counter weights are for? Do they reduce noise? The reason I asked is I ordered some Carbotech 1521's for my c7 z51 and they did not have counter weights. My OEM ones do and I see these Hawks do. The 1521's are suppose to be quiet but mine were so loud I took them off. I am wondering if this is why?

I tried everything to get the noise to stop (Clean rotors, lube back side of pads).
Counterweights are for noise and no they don't help as I can tell at all, my car sounds the same as my friends hawk hp+ pads and he has no weights, FYI I'm sure those 1521' won't make a sound, it's just a low performance street pad, I wish I could run any noiseless pads, one pad does not to it all! noise or stopping power or a little of each, then you also need to pick at what temps to you want your pads to work at, cold right out of gate or very hot out on track doing laps, my events are under 1 1/2 minutes, I need brakes to work cold from the first braking point to the last med hot point. I hope this helps

Get notified of new replies

To I thought Hawk pads (counterweights) might be trouble

Old 08-13-2015, 12:53 PM
CDH76
Safety Car

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Counterweights are for noise and no they don't help as I can tell at all, my car sounds the same as my friends hawk hp+ pads and he has no weights, FYI I'm sure those 1521' won't make a sound, it's just a low performance street pad, I wish I could run any noiseless pads, one pad does not to it all! noise or stopping power or a little of each, then you also need to pick at what temps to you want your pads to work at, cold right out of gate or very hot out on track doing laps, my events are under 1 1/2 minutes, I need brakes to work cold from the first braking point to the last med hot point. I hope this helps
Yes I bought them for street use only. However they made way to much noise when stopping at lower speeds so I put my OEM pads back on.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:46 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CoolShoesWalkin
Yes I bought them for street use only. However they made way to much noise when stopping at lower speeds so I put my OEM pads back on.
I also thought they were noiseless and dustless , I still don't think if they had counterweights on them it would change much, , speaking of noise if you heard my brakes you would pull over and call a tow truck ! Lol not kidding it's the price I pay to brake late, even after the stop box ( no brake pedal) it still sounds like metal to metal grinding , hopefully the new DBA rotors will change that also? Yes I have been told my autocross times mean way to much to me.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:46 AM
savage
Burning Brakes

I also thought they were noiseless and dustless , I still don't think if they had counterweights on them it would change much, , speaking of noise if you heard my brakes you would pull over and call a tow truck ! Lol not kidding it's the price I pay to brake late, even after the stop box ( no brake pedal) it still sounds like metal to metal grinding , hopefully the new DBA rotors will change that also? Yes I have been told my autocross times mean way to much to me.
Oh no mr. Bill! The counterweights had finally had

to go, I will be running SS this fall season and with the base wheels on my z51 their is no room for weights, I drilled them off, very easy

Quick Reply: I thought Hawk pads (counterweights) might be trouble