C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Catch Can for Supercharged Base

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 10:00 PM
AD2386
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
I hate the way some people walk around to say stuff in here plus in life also. Let cut thur the crap and just say what a person means here are you saying the RX can is the only one that will work due to the way it works. Plus the LMR can is going to let all the stuff go back into the motor & it not worth buying.

I dont mean to be what ever here but just got a LMR can & sure not going to work with it on the car if it is all talk & will not work like those guys have said it will.

Robert
Rob, how much did you pay for the LMR can? I heard they are not all that from other members on here. Did you install yours?
Old 07-23-2015, 10:02 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I have the LMR can on my car (without boost). Nothing wrong with it. Definitely go with the non-stinky version. I went with the old version and have to keep my A/C on recirc, lol.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:18 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
I have the LMR can on my car (without boost). Nothing wrong with it. Definitely go with the non-stinky version. I went with the old version and have to keep my A/C on recirc, lol.
Pretty sure you can buy the conversion kit from them for like $200 or so. Yeah, I know it's a lot..
Old 07-23-2015, 10:21 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Pretty sure you can buy the conversion kit from them for like $200 or so. Yeah, I know it's a lot..
I had the option of buying either can, I chose the underhood filter can. I had* a vacuum pump on my C5Z build and never smelled it.

Last edited by Higgs Boson; 07-23-2015 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:34 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

I had the option of buying either can, I chose the underhood filter can. I have a vacuum pump on my C5Z build and never smelled it.
yeah but if you opt to getting the conversion kit you can reroute the lines properly and remember what it's like to not use your recirc button again. I bought a used LMR one last week, and I have to get the conversion kit for mine now lol
Old 07-24-2015, 08:33 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by AD2386
Rob, how much did you pay for the LMR can? I heard they are not all that from other members on here. Did you install yours?
I got the old set up also on the car paid like 700.oo for it. Just want the dam thing to do what the CO says it will do.

I know for a fact the RX monster can didnt work like I was told on the c5. It done just like the guy in here said on stuff back into the motor.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:27 AM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

God Particle,

So, can you explain then how your system is evacuating the damaging compounds from the crankcase then? I simple oil analysis will show what I am saying. Your vacuum pump setup does evacuate, but a venting system can only vent...no evacuation takes place. Would love to see a detailed explanation on how yours system accomplishes this.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by robert miller
I got the old set up also on the car paid like 700.oo for it. Just want the dam thing to do what the CO says it will do.

I know for a fact the RX monster can didnt work like I was told on the c5. It done just like the guy in here said on stuff back into the motor.
In the past 12 months? Way different then in the past. They have it down and perfected now.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:34 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by coSPEED2
God Particle,

So, can you explain then how your system is evacuating the damaging compounds from the crankcase then? I simple oil analysis will show what I am saying. Your vacuum pump setup does evacuate, but a venting system can only vent...no evacuation takes place. Would love to see a detailed explanation on how yours system accomplishes this.
Sure, I change the oil more frequently. Is that detailed enough for you? Thanks for the lesson, though. Very enlightening.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:59 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

God Particle,

Thanks!

In the past 12 months? Way different then in the past. They have it down and perfected now.
OK buddy message to you.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:37 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Sure, I change the oil more frequently. Is that detailed enough for you? Thanks for the lesson, though. Very enlightening.
I just wanted an explanation....should not be hard, not looking to fight w/you....just explain how it evacuates and removes the compounds you do not want left in. Changing oil every 1000 miles or sooner is pretty expensive, but if you wait until pressure builds and then is vented instead of pulling vacuum/suction, your also allowing that much pressure to build first. Just walk me through the principals and how it accomplishes evacuation.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:46 PM
StingerBG
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I just wanted an explanation....should not be hard, not looking to fight w/you....just explain how it evacuates and removes the compounds you do not want left in. Changing oil every 1000 miles or sooner is pretty expensive, but if you wait until pressure builds and then is vented instead of pulling vacuum/suction, your also allowing that much pressure to build first. Just walk me through the principals and how it accomplishes evacuation.
I'm confused a little...I get that you are against LMR breathers. What then, do you recommend as a catch can for boosted applications? (Brand specific)
Old 07-24-2015, 01:57 PM
AD2386
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

LMR catch cans are $1000 & $1100 + shipping! Are these the best, cuz they cost triple the price of the other brands?
Old 07-24-2015, 01:58 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by StingerBG
I'm confused a little...I get that you are against LMR breathers. What then, do you recommend as a catch can for boosted applications? (Brand specific)
just check his website, isn't it obvious?

a little aggressive for me to pursue....
Old 07-24-2015, 04:01 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by StingerBG
Read in detail my explanation below several times to retain as much as possible. If you do NOT evacuate (remove) all the damaging compounds that enter the crankcase as blow-by immediately, then all of this damaging harmful mix of compounds, then they accumulate like back in the pre mid 1960's and your oil cannot protect with it full of the water, unburnt fuel, sulfuric acid, abrasive soot and carbon particles, etc. (a simple oil analysis will show how the oil degrades and the impurities accumulate for proof) and the acid condenses in the upper reaches like under the valve covers, etc. to begin attacking the rocker arms and other steel based components. It is easy to see after 6 months or so of a system that defeats all the PCV critical functions is run by inspecting the rocker arms and seeing the rust and corrosion. If bad enough the thin stamped steel retaining caps that retain the needle bearings can come loose and dump needle bearings out for failure. Then further, the rate of wear on the rod/main/and cam bearings is accelerated as the acid content attacks the bearings surface. The soot and carbon particles that are left in the crankcase are what turns the oil darker, and they are abrasive with the smaller ones too small for the micron size of the filter to remove. You don't want abrasive contaminates mixing with your oil.

So if you follow how a PCV system properly removes these, defeating this critical function sacrifices your engines life over time. I don't doubt the system your talking is first rate quality as they build excellent big power, etc. but this is an area that is so misunderstood, and the internet so full of misconceptions that this is probably the most misunderstood system on today's cars. Most only see the PCV system as the single function it performs it not polluting our air, but there is so much more it does to keep our engines wear free and living long lives that it alarms me to see so many not realize what all critical functions the PCV system performs. So when you defeat those by just focusing on one thing, in this case pressure relief, and not realizing the consequences that will not show until 20-30-40k miles down the road when oil use is up, rod/main bearing clearance is excessive, and power is down just what happened. I know many use Blackstone and similar labs for oil analysis (I do every oil change on personal vehicles as it tells me just what is going on in the engine) so if there is any doubt, just call the lab you use up and ask a tech what happens when all crankcase evacuation is defeated and only pressure relief is accomplished.

That is not even considering States with emissions testing as no open system can pass emissions. They are considered "off road only"...and then warranty. The Magnasun/Moss act specify's "no company can deny a warranty due to the installation or use of an aftermarket product unless that product or use of directly caused the failure in question". But when you do such a radical defeat of critical functions needed to ensure engine life and longevity, that would be a pretty hard argument to win.

So, the issues. All engines have some amount of blow-by. That blow-by if not dealt with does several things. It causes pressure to build in the crankcase.That a breathered system does, but not UNTIL that pressure has already built up enough to vent it'self. (it wont be alot, but you never want pressure in the crankcase). Now, the Elite E2-X for the Z06 and the LT1 engines (LT1 needs cleanside unit as well as separator, LT4 can do w/out it as the blower is always providing evacuation vacuum/suction) the foul vapors are routed through the separator center, and the outlets (2 of them) have inline checkvalves that will provide evacuation suction when at idle, cruise, and deceleration from the intake manifold. The second outlet and valve will be plumbed to a barb just upstream of the throttle body so when you go hard throttle acceleration, when the stock system has zero vacuum present in the intake manifold, this secondary outlet valve opens and uses the suction/vacuum present just upstream of the throttle body. The reason the vacuum is not present in the intake manifold is primarily due to the reversion pulses canceling it out, but they don't reach past the TB until over 8k or so RPM's (higher than the LT1 should spin) so there is good suction available there. With these 2 evac suction sources, no matter what type of driving, it is always pulling and evacuating so pressure never has a chance to build. These reduces parasitic loss as far as windage against the pistons on their down stroke, but also helps rings seal better. The damaging compounds are immediately evacuated out of the opposite bank of the crankcase for good cross-flow preventing the compounds from having a chance to settle and mix with the engine oil and remain in the crankcase to ever accumulate, and the clean and dirty sides are never mixed.

Hope this helps and didn't loose anyone. Just ask questions if needed.

Originally Posted by AD2386
LMR catch cans are $1000 & $1100 + shipping! Are these the best, cuz they cost triple the price of the other brands?
The quality of the construction and fittings appears first class, and I have no doubt it is warranted due to the size, fittings, lines, etc, but as it is what the industry refers to as a "open system", it cannot provide the long term protection that is critical to engine longevity. Stock cars run open systems with just breathers due to tech rules, so they change oil after every race (should anyway) but modifieds and drag engines run belt driven vacuum pumps to not only ensure constant evacuation, but to also help build more power due to eliminating any pressure and the resulting better ring seal. The PCV system is far to critical of a system to just delete/defeat to accomplish a goal that is far better achieved by a proper system that can do it all effectively w/out reducing engine life.

I have no doubt these type systems are the result of only good intentions, but without understanding what happens long term, down the road there will be regrets.

just check his website, isn't it obvious?

a little aggressive for me to pursue....
They don't detail any part of evacuation there...just how they bypass the PCV. I thought with your expertise (at least in your posts you seem to come across pretty knowledgeable) you would be able to understand it's functions and share them with us. I won't bother to ask you anything more as you seem to be irritated by it, and that is not my intent. Any product someone is going to spend $ on and change on their $50-$100k vehicle I believe they should fully understand as just replying on hype and claims is sometimes very unwise. It is your car, you spent the $, not me so you are the only one that can be confident in the reasons why.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:23 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

They don't detail any part of evacuation there...just how they bypass the PCV. I thought with your expertise (at least in your posts you seem to come across pretty knowledgeable) you would be able to understand it's functions and share them with us. I won't bother to ask you anything more as you seem to be irritated by it, and that is not my intent. Any product someone is going to spend $ on and change on their $50-$100k vehicle I believe they should fully understand as just replying on hype and claims is sometimes very unwise. It is your car, you spent the $, not me so you are the only one that can be confident in the reasons why.

the LMR does not pull a vacuum on the crankcase. i put 2000 miles per year at the most on my car. It's a non-issue for me. on a daily driver I would recommend something like the mighty mouse that I have on my truck. I like that it can vent under pressure but seals up under vacuum. it's working like a charm.

I do have an RX Performance one I am not using if anyone wants it. For sell cheep.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:12 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

the LMR does not pull a vacuum on the crankcase. i put 2000 miles per year at the most on my car. It's a non-issue for me. on a daily driver I would recommend something like the mighty mouse that I have on my truck. I like that it can vent under pressure but seals up under vacuum. it's working like a charm.

I do have an RX Performance one I am not using if anyone wants it. For sell cheep.
List the RX in the FS section...bet it sells in a day or less.

On the Mickey Mouse can, it vents to the atmosphere and only pulls vacuum when at idle, cruise, and deceleration as well as lets a ton of oil past in the tests done, so the venting to the atmosphere makes it not legal in all 50 States as far as street use. I thought you would know that god particle.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:26 PM
sycraft
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

On the Mickey Mouse can, it vents to the atmosphere and only pulls vacuum when at idle, cruise, and deceleration as well as lets a ton of oil past in the tests done, so the venting to the atmosphere makes it not legal in all 50 States as far as street use. I thought you would know that god particle.
Why call names, I was trying to stay out of this, Its Mightymouse.... Please be respectful of other companies, if that is how you do business by disrespecting others, then I want nothing to do with your business, its really poor taste.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Catch Can for Supercharged Base

Old 07-25-2015, 03:01 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

knowing something and caring are two different things. i could give a sht about warranty or emissions. i'm not sitting in colorado toking it up and hugging trees. around here we drill for oil and fill the skies with diesel.

anyways, the mighty mouse does not vent to atmosphere without significant pressure and my truck intake is bone dry with the can, what else should the can be doing for me?
Old 07-25-2015, 03:17 PM
John Micheal Henry
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 195 Posts

BEST CATCH CANS.. ( key words) .. LMR.. No Doubt..
Old 07-25-2015, 07:17 PM
Late Model Racecraft
Supporting Vendor

Received 629 Likes on 327 Posts

Sorry guys, we have been very busy at the shop and not spending enough time on the forums to answer questions or to even show some of our new products and packages.

Yes, our breather system is pricey and I apologize about having to raise the price due to our relocation system. It was just the right thing to do since it was 50/50 with customers asking about the smell in the cab with AC on and sitting in traffic. If I owned the Earls fittings and Pro lite hose we use in the relocation kit I would not have to charge so much. Any one of you can look up what a -12AN earls fitting cost(they are not cheap), but we only use the best of the best products.

(1 fitting from summit close to $50 plus shipping)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-at818012erl

Our customers spend top dollar for superior products, we can not have any issues when customers take their cars on 30 min sessions, 5 times a weekend on a road course. We manufacture our products and put together our performance packages to perform at the highest level with strength and durability. We know our customers will push and enjoy their cars like they were built for.

We do have them in stock ready to ship in both Aluminum and black powder coated.

Steven Fereday
Current C7 World Record Holder 7.55 @ 184 MPH

Quickest and Fastest GEN5 LT Powered Vehicle
LMR1200HP Supercharged C7 8.84 @ 160
LMR1200HP Twin Turbo C7 9.35@155mph-2014
2 TIME OUTLAW DRAG RADIAL LSX CHAMPION 2008/2010
9.47 ZR1 Corvette-2009
LATE MODEL RACECRAFT
713-466-9900
LateModelRacecraft.com

Too many PMs, please call or email instead, thanks!

Quick Reply: Best Catch Can for Supercharged Base