C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for advice on centrifugal Superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 02:41 AM
xcpilot
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking for advice on centrifugal Superchargers

I think my mind is made up on putting a centrifugal supercharger on my 2016 Stingray when it arrives. There are numerous choices, anyone care to offer advice. I see comments about noisy blow off valves, burning oil smells, overheating etc. Anyone care to share their experiences, good or bad? Sounds like A+A and ECS are the best choices. How about Procharger? Appreciate the help.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:26 AM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 218 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Before anyone eats you alive, here's a good (recent) thread that will give you a good amount of information about your different centrifugal supercharging choices:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...g-options.html
Old 07-15-2015, 06:20 AM
Arcticman
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a P1sc1 on mine and it's nice. Car like stock till about 3500 then it comes alive. Better have it pointed in the right direction cuz she's covering some ground. I'm running some meth to because Alaska only get 90 octane here. Put Down 603hp with headers and x pipe. The headers dropped the boost down to 5psi so I'm going with a smaller pulley to get it up to the 7psi the system runs when there is stock manifolds on the motor. Should be around 650 rwhp.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:37 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by xcpilot
I think my mind is made up on putting a centrifugal supercharger on my 2016 Stingray when it arrives. There are numerous choices, anyone care to offer advice. I see comments about noisy blow off valves, burning oil smells, overheating etc. Anyone care to share their experiences, good or bad? Sounds like A+A and ECS are the best choices. How about Procharger? Appreciate the help.
I think you may be reading the issue of high fan noise with overheating. I do not think anyone with any kit is overheating. The fan cycle is different to keep the cooling system in check, big difference between the two.

My T-stat from Summit will be here today and we'll see what that does for the fan noise.

The oil odor can be fixed with a catch can at about $1,000...in a week of driving I may notice it once or twice. There are reasons it happens and none of them are really bad.

BOV the noise is your choice, you can get loud, quieter, or dead silent.

I was told by another vendor that the ECS kit was also the quietest SC head unit which was very important to me and except for a light whistle at idle which is hard to hear there is no mechanical noise at all.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:08 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,083 Likes on 655 Posts

Feel free to give us a call if you would like to speak in depth as to why we feel we have the most complete, properly put together, most components included, and highest TQ per HP centrifugal supercharger kit on the market today.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:14 PM
rlrcstr
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a procharger installed this spring. it took my 2014 z51 m7, to a whole new level. I did not do headers or any thing else- just the procharger and the intercooler. stock my car was making 434 hp to the rear wheels on test day. after the install it did 610 hp to the rear wheels. under 3500 rpm the car acts very stock with no jerky starts. another thing I really appreciate is how quiet the unit is at idle. I'm very happy.
The following users liked this post:
Mojo Keeble (07-25-2017)
Old 07-15-2015, 04:34 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

My advice is don't get one. Next thing you know, you will be building the engine, buying rims/drag radials and a bunch of other stupid stuff
Old 07-15-2015, 04:37 PM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,227 Likes on 774 Posts

We would love to answer any questions you have, having done many forced induction C7's we can give you sound advice on the system that best works for you and go over each offering out there and the pro's and con's of each.
www.facebook.com/cordesperformanceracing.com
joe@cordesperformanceracing.com
480-359-5914

Old 07-15-2015, 05:10 PM
rlrcstr
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bucknut2006
My advice is don't get one. Next thing you know, you will be building the engine, buying rims/drag radials and a bunch of other stupid stuff
interestingly i was just in Bowling Green this weekend. Factory tour/track etc.(drove the car 1400 miles in 4 days!) during the tour i struck up a nice conversation with engineering student who was our guide. we visited for some time about the attributes of the engine and how well it takes to supercharging. later in the day i had several factory folks look at the installation- all thumbs up. prior to my purchase i also toured the Procharger headquarters in KC. a super nice group with a lot of science behind their product.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:17 PM
xcpilot
Advanced

Originally Posted by rlrcstr
I had a procharger installed this spring. it took my 2014 z51 m7, to a whole new level. I did not do headers or any thing else- just the procharger and the intercooler. stock my car was making 434 hp to the rear wheels on test day. after the install it did 610 hp to the rear wheels. under 3500 rpm the car acts very stock with no jerky starts. another thing I really appreciate is how quiet the unit is at idle. I'm very happy.
That is very interesting. I have not seen many 600hp cars with only a supercharger. I hope to get there too.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:20 PM
xcpilot
Advanced

Originally Posted by Joe@CPR
We would love to answer any questions you have, having done many forced induction C7's we can give you sound advice on the system that best works for you and go over each offering out there and the pro's and con's of each.
Hi Joe
I have a home in Scottsdale so my plan is to drive the car down from Canada this fall and leave it there for the winter. I will give you a call so we can discuss what my options are.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:13 PM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,227 Likes on 774 Posts

Hi Joe
I have a home in Scottsdale so my plan is to drive the car down from Canada this fall and leave it there for the winter. I will give you a call so we can discuss what my options are.
Sounds like a solid plan sir!
Old 07-15-2015, 08:15 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,083 Likes on 655 Posts

Hi Joe

You would be in good hands with Joe! BTW, any of the supercharger kits can make 610 blower only, it's just not advisable IMHO without meth injection. Not enough octane in pump gas to consistently support it.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:39 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Feel free to give us a call if you would like to speak in depth as to why we feel we have the most complete, properly put together, most components included, and highest TQ per HP centrifugal supercharger kit on the market today.
3 mods for ~700 RWHP and the car still feels like it did before until you get into boost. Then, hold on!

Old 07-16-2015, 12:23 AM
hnaskoct
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

He Doug how much power are you guys getting out of a6 auto z51 with headers,blower,meth?? Very interested
Old 07-16-2015, 02:56 AM
on3wego
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Procharger ftw!

I have a 2014 m7 z51. And love my procharger. I have a f1a. And I think I currently hold the boost only stock shortblock record on pump gas and meth.. no nitrous. Made 908/867.

There's plenty of other on here with high hp c7 builds, vengeance, joe, ecs, procharger...

Send me a pm and il answer any questions you may have.

P.s. I honestly think ecs, procharger and A&A are all great kits, as I have buddies with c5, c6 and c7s, with different blower setups.. there all fun..

P.s. I really think the procharger setup has a really easy pulley/belt swap setup

Old 07-16-2015, 10:00 PM
BooSSted
Drifting

Received 305 Likes on 246 Posts

I'm curious, have any of the 3 mod 700+/- ECS cars dyno'd on any other dynojet or mustang? I see so many varying numbers with blower/meth/headers making 40-70 more whp than other centri blowers, meth'd, headers AND a cam. I don't understand the vast disparities.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for advice on centrifugal Superchargers

Old 07-17-2015, 07:59 AM
slesher
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BooSSted
I'm curious, have any of the 3 mod 700+/- ECS cars dyno'd on any other dynojet or mustang? I see so many varying numbers with blower/meth/headers making 40-70 more whp than other centri blowers, meth'd, headers AND a cam. I don't understand the vast disparities.
That's kind of hard unless you dynoed the car on both types with premod/postmod in the same weather. Both tuners would also have to tune it similarly.

With the 3 mods on Doug @ ECS's dynapack mine put out 730/640 with 13 lbs. It was really cold that day and snowing with temps about freezing in Jersey.

Then the internals were forged by Vengeance Racing plus a pulley down (+other mods). On Mike's dynojet we hit 840/750 with close to 14 lbs. This was a on really hot and humid Atlanta day.

Taking the car to ECS for some scheduled maintenance in the next few weeks and will hopefully have Doug take it on the Dynapack just for sng.

Have np sharing the results as the Stingray is a blast to drive (Doug and Mikes mods) if not downright terrifying at higher boost levels.

I should qualify that further by saying it not scary in the sense that it's unpredictable. It has excellent street manners. ECS and Vengeance Racing have really nailed that formula down
Old 07-17-2015, 08:21 AM
BooSSted
Drifting

Received 305 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by slesher
That's kind of hard unless you dynoed the car on both types with premod/postmod in the same weather. Both tuners would also have to tune it similarly.

With the 3 mods on Doug @ ECS's dynapack mine put out 730/640 with 13 lbs. It was really cold that day and snowing with temps about freezing in Jersey.

Then the internals were forged by Vengeance Racing plus a pulley down (+other mods). On Mike's dynojet we hit 840/750 with close to 14 lbs. This was a on really hot and humid Atlanta day.

Taking the car to ECS for some scheduled maintenance in the next few weeks and will hopefully have Doug take it on the Dynapack just for sng.

Have np sharing the results as the Stingray is a blast to drive (Doug and Mikes mods) if not downright terrifying at higher boost levels.

I should qualify that further by saying it not scary in the sense that it's unpredictable. It has excellent street manners. ECS and Vengeance Racing have really nailed that formula down

Sick car you have man, I hope to follow your's and Theta's path haha...

My car has made 620+/- on several dynos on dyno days, and in between tuning. I'm not concerned on the net WHP gained I think that would be pretty constant across all dynos if they were to do a base and post install pull. My question is how is ECS blasting out 700whp cars with 3 mods; when there's cars getting cams and are 40-70whp down. (Only talking manual cars)

Essentially my question is has any ECS dyno'd car jumped on a dynojet or mustang etc...without further mods after the claimed 700+whp? I don't get to high on dyno numbers because so many variables can influence them.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:12 AM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 218 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by slesher
...if not downright terrifying at higher boost levels.
No, you had it right the first time - these things are sickeningly-fast past 5500 and 13-14psi.

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on centrifugal Superchargers