C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone using FI on a daily driven C7 Stingray?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 05:10 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Boost is NOT running 24/7 on these cars. You can run from Key West to Anchorage and not hit boost.
This made me laugh because it's so true. I made over 25mpg with my setup the other day just cruising in 7th (that's no small feat, but also no fun to just sit there at 70mph for an hour - boo!) and obviously never saw boost or meth.

It's all up to how you (want to) drive the car. You can keep it as tame as a factory car, or really go have fun with it.

I just choose to use mine for... err... recreational purposes 90% of the time. However, Ron made a video before sending me my car back at 900whp showing me daily driving conditions, and it's hilarious.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:55 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Not my DD but I drive it everyday when the weather is reasonable which may be everyday for a week around here. I run the Eforce and while not providing big swinging D HP numbers it's a blast on the street and mountain roads. The instant RWT make those 0-75-100 blast a hold on event. The Eforce is a non-maintenance system which I also like. Out of the throttle MPG is pretty much the same as stock but as has been said, what fun is that. I still get 19mpg driving it any way I want and close to 30mpg on the highway cruising. Just driving around it's not similar - it's exactly like stock. ECS did the install and tune.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:03 PM
Deicide
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Not my DD but I drive it everyday when the weather is reasonable which may be everyday for a week around here. I run the Eforce and while not providing big swinging D HP numbers it's a blast on the street and mountain roads. The instant RWT make those 0-75-100 blast a hold on event. The Eforce is a non-maintenance system which I also like. Out of the throttle MPG is pretty much the same as stock but as has been said, what fun is that. I still get 19mpg driving it any way I want and close to 30mpg on the highway cruising. Just driving around it's not similar - it's exactly like stock. ECS did the install and tune.
What made you choose the eForce over a centri? The reason I ask is that many people have opinions of the centri. Harder to find people who have gone the route of the eForce. However, I have not written that off as a possibility yet either.

I spoke to the people at A&A today. Pricing is better than an eForce. However, the instant power of the PD might be more fun on the street. Still not yet decided but this thread is giving me good things to think about.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:47 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by WKMCD
while not providing big swinging D HP numbers it's a blast
This is now my favorite post of the month. Bravo.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:45 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Originally Posted by Deicide
What made you choose the eForce over a centri? The reason I ask is that many people have opinions of the centri. Harder to find people who have gone the route of the eForce. However, I have not written that off as a possibility yet either.

I spoke to the people at A&A today. Pricing is better than an eForce. However, the instant power of the PD might be more fun on the street. Still not yet decided but this thread is giving me good things to think about.
I love the way the top mount just makes it feel like you're driving a really big motor. That and 95% of the folks here will opt for a centri which is a great way to go depending on your goals. I'm more of a "if someone says turn right, I turn left" kind of person.

Having been through multiple stoker motors in my last vette, I'm determined not to crack (open) the block on this one. The power I make is all I want to put through the stock engine.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:56 AM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Actually, you are in vacuum during normal daily driving. There is no reason on earth you can't drive a FI car as a daily driver without touching the boost. On my twin turboed 98 Camaro and my 2007 Supercharged Vette, I had a vac/boost gauge installed. I guarantee you that those cars can be driven quite normally and the vac/boost gauge will not get up to "0" or ANY "+" number into the boost side of the gauge.

Elmer
I think you were agreeing with me...?!
Old 07-28-2015, 01:43 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,820 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Motohead279
I think you were agreeing with me...?!
Mostly, but the "barely in boost" part was kinda bugging me. Normal driving between us may be different. Normal driving to me simply means "no boost". I could accelerate pretty hard and run the vacuum down to single digits and still not be in boost. To get to boost, I pretty much needed to be 90% throttle or WOT, neither of those is what I consider normal driving.

Barely in boost means you are in boost, kinda like being barely pregnant? There is no barely, there is yes/no.

I'd use boost if I was on the highway and need some quicker "get around the slow guy" spurt. Using it in the city was pretty damn silly as I'd simply light up my tires and waste the effort. I don't street race and I've not been to the drag strip for probably 10 years, the only time I used it was during highway driving for passing on 2 lane roads.

Bottom line, I could go for weeks without getting into boost. But I never was "Barely" in boost during normal driving.

So, we on the same page or what!

Elmer
Old 07-28-2015, 06:42 PM
Deicide
Burning Brakes

I've spoken to both A&A and ECS now, should call Edelbrock tomorrow. A lot of decision to make.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:03 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

I've spoken to both A&A and ECS now, should call Edelbrock tomorrow. A lot of decision to make.
I really like the PD blowers but I went with a centi for a few reasons:

1. Worried about blowing the tires off all the time, too much torque, too fast. Love the way they drive, have one on each of my other cars but they are AWD. 500ft lbs at 2000rpm sounds great but in practicality I did not want to spend more time pedaling than driving.

2. Similar to #1, we have a lot of sweeping roads here and high speed corners and instant torque do not always go together. I drive the car pretty hard and I was worried about too much torque in the centi in corners but its been perfect.

3. Price...not so much the overall price but the investment and risk of not liking the results. Cheaper initial investment and an equal investment as the PD to get an extra 150hp over a PD.

4. Power....if you take #1 and #2 into consideration and lets say the drivability is great, if you add more power your for sure going to run into a tire problem. So you have to pretty much like what you get.

5. Heat soak and intercooler repeatable performance. If you take the occasional blast its probably OK but if you drive the car hard you will hit this very fast.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:36 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Mostly, but the "barely in boost" part was kinda bugging me. Normal driving between us may be different. Normal driving to me simply means "no boost". I could accelerate pretty hard and run the vacuum down to single digits and still not be in boost. To get to boost, I pretty much needed to be 90% throttle or WOT, neither of those is what I consider normal driving.

Barely in boost means you are in boost, kinda like being barely pregnant? There is no barely, there is yes/no.

I'd use boost if I was on the highway and need some quicker "get around the slow guy" spurt. Using it in the city was pretty damn silly as I'd simply light up my tires and waste the effort. I don't street race and I've not been to the drag strip for probably 10 years, the only time I used it was during highway driving for passing on 2 lane roads.

Bottom line, I could go for weeks without getting into boost. But I never was "Barely" in boost during normal driving.

So, we on the same page or what!

Elmer

Yes you are correct in that you can drive across the country and never hit boost.
What I meant by barely ever hitting boost is that every time I drive I at least like to step on the throttle once or twice and feel the power. It's kind of hard not to!!
Old 07-28-2015, 10:46 PM
SUNRISE1
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 8 Posts

running the ECS system with AR 2" Headers and 3" catted x-pipe. also have the LMR catch can/ breather kit . almost a daily driver. no problems so far and I run it hard. went with quieter blow-off. ( that is definitely something to consider). I also attached a hose to the blow-off and routed it to the bottom of the car engine bay because of the foul air and noise it produced. Also used the LMR re-route kit for the breather because the fumes from the breather were exiting right by the cabin air intake. The re-route fix they had actually wasn't a good idea in my opinion. they simply ran breather hoses from the catchcan / breather box to the main scoop which only slightly diverted the fumes. So I simply pushed the hoses through the engine bay down to the bottom of the bay. problem solved.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:57 PM
Deicide
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NoOne
I really like the PD blowers but I went with a centi for a few reasons:

1. Worried about blowing the tires off all the time, too much torque, too fast. Love the way they drive, have one on each of my other cars but they are AWD. 500ft lbs at 2000rpm sounds great but in practicality I did not want to spend more time pedaling than driving.

2. Similar to #1, we have a lot of sweeping roads here and high speed corners and instant torque do not always go together. I drive the car pretty hard and I was worried about too much torque in the centi in corners but its been perfect.

3. Price...not so much the overall price but the investment and risk of not liking the results. Cheaper initial investment and an equal investment as the PD to get an extra 150hp over a PD.

4. Power....if you take #1 and #2 into consideration and lets say the drivability is great, if you add more power your for sure going to run into a tire problem. So you have to pretty much like what you get.

5. Heat soak and intercooler repeatable performance. If you take the occasional blast its probably OK but if you drive the car hard you will hit this very fast.
Re 1: That's a good point about the tires. As much fun as it would be to have 500lbs @ 2000 RPM. I think I might "test" it more than I would care to spend on tires.

Re 2: I have only seen so far the pricing on the Edelbrock. Not sure who has the best prices for an A&A kit. I suppose I could go through A&A since they are not too far away.

Re 5: I don't know how occasional the "blast" would be.

I could be wrong, but are the centris more "audible" as well? From what I understand the eForce is fairly quiet.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:00 PM
Deicide
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SUNRISE1
running the ECS system with AR 2" Headers and 3" catted x-pipe. also have the LMR catch can/ breather kit . almost a daily driver. no problems so far and I run it hard. went with quieter blow-off. ( that is definitely something to consider). I also attached a hose to the blow-off and routed it to the bottom of the car engine bay because of the foul air and noise it produced. Also used the LMR re-route kit for the breather because the fumes from the breather were exiting right by the cabin air intake. The re-route fix they had actually wasn't a good idea in my opinion. they simply ran breather hoses from the catchcan / breather box to the main scoop which only slightly diverted the fumes. So I simply pushed the hoses through the engine bay down to the bottom of the bay. problem solved.
Thanks for your reply. In my limited research into this so far I had not yet come across anyone mentioning anything about the air the breather/blow-off produces. Is this a common concern with centri configurations?
Old 07-28-2015, 11:11 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

I could be wrong, but are the centris more "audible" as well? From what I understand the eForce is fairly quiet.
Oh no, a PD blower can be heard a mile away. They can be silent with the intake baffling but without it it can scare small children.

Even the little PD blower on my S4 when I put an intake on it is LOUD.

I barely hear the idle whistle of my centri. I do hear a lot of blow off noise but as has been discussed ECS has a dual BO value solution that makes it silent.

My car sounds exactly like this and it is much louder on the outside

I have the same intake. The bigger blower will have a deeper tone and sounds much better IMO.

Last edited by NoOne; 07-28-2015 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:15 PM
Deicide
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NoOne
[yt]RsGATJNCQnw[/]yt
Old 07-29-2015, 07:47 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

You can't hear my Eforce PD - which I like. I do have LT's and the dual-mode exhaust.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:30 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Fixed had the YT tags wrong.

Get notified of new replies

To Is anyone using FI on a daily driven C7 Stingray?

Old 07-29-2015, 09:05 PM
Deicide
Burning Brakes

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I think I'm leaning towards calling Andy over at A&A and setting this up.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:36 PM
kiley2418
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I think I'm leaning towards calling Andy over at A&A and setting this up.
Sounds like a smart choice can't go wrong!!! If I was going centri it would be a&a or ecs... Pd I'd be looking at the heartbeat
Old 07-30-2015, 09:14 AM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

A good installer/tuner close to where you live is also the key to a quality daily driver. You will be tuning with your gas and climate so it should be a good fit. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Is anyone using FI on a daily driven C7 Stingray?