C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone using FI on a daily driven C7 Stingray?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 12:27 PM
dironvictorious
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Deicide
If so, what set-up did you go with?
I have always had another car but do drive my vettes often - 6-8K miles a year, vs. about 15-16k miles total on average across both cars. I would drive the vette even more, if it wasn't for northeast winters and business that often takes me into NYC where trading paint with taxis is part of the game

I have an ECS kit and tune only on my 2014 A6 (Z51). I am coming up on 6 months and 2000 miles, most of those 2000 miles in last three months due to install being done in winter.

A centrifugal kit with the proper tune should be very low stress on the engine, as only creating more boost/power at high throttle positions and rpm. You do need to change the supercharger oil every 2500-3000miles.

The consensus also appears to be the engine oil should be changed more often (3000) miles vs. the 5000-10,000 the computer might suggest based on driving. I haven't confirmed that with Doug/Chris from ECS.

I can see more frequent changes, but don't know if you need to do it directly in proportion with power increase as are not always generating additional boost/power with a centrifugal kit.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:13 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Burning fuel contaminates the oil.

You burn more fuel when you make more power, hence the reason for more frequent changes.

I'm averaging 800 miles per week on mine so I end up changing the oil about once a month.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:33 PM
dironvictorious
Instructor

Originally Posted by NoOne
Burning fuel contaminates the oil.

You burn more fuel when you make more power, hence the reason for more frequent changes.

I'm averaging 800 miles per week on mine so I end up changing the oil about once a month.
Understood, but are you making that much more power all the time vs. stock?

I understand if always in the boost. However, I would think when idling or cruising you aren't making any power. I would also assume the tune isn't running ultra rich off boost.

I am making about Zo6 power, arguably with less stress/fuel usage when off post (centrifugal vs. positive displacement).

I believe Z06 uses the same oil. Do you think the engine is sufficiently different that it can go 5000-10000 miles at those power levels and resulting fuel use/contaminants vs. only 2500-3000 in LT1?

Last edited by dironvictorious; 07-30-2015 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:57 AM
dironvictorious
Instructor

Originally Posted by dironvictorious
Understood, but are you making that much more power all the time vs. stock?

I understand if always in the boost. However, I would think when idling or cruising you aren't making any power. I would also assume the tune isn't running ultra rich off boost.

I am making about Zo6 power, arguably with less stress/fuel usage when off post (centrifugal vs. positive displacement).

I believe Z06 uses the same oil. Do you think the engine is sufficiently different that it can go 5000-10000 miles at those power levels and resulting fuel use/contaminants vs. only 2500-3000 in LT1?
I spoke to Chris at ECS. They confirmed recommend engine oil change with supercharger oil change every 2500-3000 miles.

I also took a look at my oil life display, it is showing 35%. This would put next change right around 7500-8000 miles, which would be 3000 miles sense last change and supercharger install. Before install, it was only at like 50-60% of oil life when did change at 5000 miles,

Hence, it looks like the computer is accounting for the supercharger. I wonder if it includes readings from MAF or just fuel used in addition to time at RPM or WOT. If the computer factors in MAF and fuel used, then seems like oil life would be accurate for nearly any modification. After-all anything you do will increase air/fuel to generate more power.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:09 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by slesher
Yes with ECS novi 1500 installed/tuned by master Doug and his team in cream ridge, nj.

Have almost 20k+ miles since install and zero issues with the supercharger unit.
sent you a PM
Old 08-01-2015, 02:47 PM
bluvette2000
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Callaway SC627 Z51. Full Warrenties. CARB approved and stickered. Daily driven because I can't stay away from it. Amazing Car.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:42 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by bluvette2000
Callaway SC627 Z51. Full Warrenties. CARB approved and stickered. Daily driven because I can't stay away from it. Amazing Car.
ehh for quite literally twice the price and they steal part of your hood!
Old 08-25-2015, 06:46 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

I don't daily drive mine but I drove it 400 miles in one trip and got 26 mpg and never went into boost.

Keep the blow off valve in mind. I went with the Tial Q and its loud. Just doing 25 in second gear scares the entire neighborhood. People stop and stare when I go by as my BOV is obnoxious. I love it but might be a concern on a daily driver.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:46 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
I don't daily drive mine but I drove it 400 miles in one trip and got 26 mpg and never went into boost.

Keep the blow off valve in mind. I went with the Tial Q and its loud. Just doing 25 in second gear scares the entire neighborhood. People stop and stare when I go by as my BOV is obnoxious. I love it but might be a concern on a daily driver.
Mike do you plan to switch to the QR the quiet bov?
Old 08-25-2015, 07:56 AM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by bluvette2000
Thanks!

We have 29,000 miles on our Callaway SC627 now, and agree, can;t get enough of the car. It's so much fun!

info@callawaycars.com

www.callawaycars.com
Old 08-25-2015, 09:29 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I drive my Eforce C7 every chance I can which means on good weather days. My commute is 70 miles round trip. I just got back from a trip to Charleston, SC - 500 miles away. I got 27.4 MPG overall cruising at 80-85 MPH (just keeping up with traffic on Rte 95). Drove all around Charleston each day and returned home in intermittent rain with speeds varying from 45-85. The car still averaged 27.4 for the whole trip.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:56 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by thegame
Mike do you plan to switch to the QR the quiet bov?
If I was using mine as a daily driver, I'd probably go with the Qr but since mine is only a fun car, I plan to stick with the Q. It does make people think your going faster than you are due to the noise. Mine keeps blowing the plastic trim piece between the fender and the bumper so I pulled it off.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:05 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

If I was using mine as a daily driver, I'd probably go with the Qr but since mine is only a fun car, I plan to stick with the Q. It does make people think your going faster than you are due to the noise. Mine keeps blowing the plastic trim piece between the fender and the bumper so I pulled it off.
It is somewhat obnoxious Just now, I ran out to grab lunch and was coming back. Two women were running on the sidewalk and gave me the nastiest stare. Probably thought I was going 80mph when I was maybe 5 over.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:45 PM
slesher
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed. For a weekend toy the Q would be a blast. Of course everyone has different tolerances.

A 90 mile trip home after the initial install of the Q was enough for me to switch from the Q to a dual QR setup by Doug from ECS.

Wish there was an npp type solution for this.

For now very happy with the double Qr. The only indicator that the car is boosted is the whoosh you hear driving near a highway barrier or any other large object. Very stealthy otherwise
Old 08-25-2015, 01:48 PM
slesher
Pro

Originally Posted by Bucknut2006
It is somewhat obnoxious Just now, I ran out to grab lunch and was coming back. Two women were running on the sidewalk and gave me the nastiest stare. Probably thought I was going 80mph when I was maybe 5 over.
Combine that with an aggressive cam and full exhaust and it sounds like your speeding at parking lot speeds
Old 08-25-2015, 02:35 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by slesher
Agreed. For a weekend toy the Q would be a blast. Of course everyone has different tolerances.

A 90 mile trip home after the initial install of the Q was enough for me to switch from the Q to a dual QR setup by Doug from ECS.

Wish there was an npp type solution for this.

For now very happy with the double Qr. The only indicator that the car is boosted is the whoosh you hear driving near a highway barrier or any other large object. Very stealthy otherwise
Sleesher is the qr audible at WOT when the cars shifts??
Old 08-25-2015, 03:10 PM
slesher
Pro

Originally Posted by thegame
Sleesher is the qr audible at WOT when the cars shifts??
Yes, at higher rpms it is significantly audible. Driving around city streets the dual Qr is pretty transparent.

Get notified of new replies

To Is anyone using FI on a daily driven C7 Stingray?

Old 08-25-2015, 03:14 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

That's exactly what I want !
Old 08-25-2015, 07:09 PM
0ProChargerTech
Former Vendor

Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Deicide
If so, what set-up did you go with?
Our company owned C7 is daily drive, track thrashed, and has been blown since it had about a couple hundred miles on it.

Runs the same tune our customers get sent in the kit.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:12 PM
Deicide
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ProChargerTech
Our company owned C7 is daily drive, track thrashed, and has been blown since it had about a couple hundred miles on it.

Runs the same tune our customers get sent in the kit.
I would like to go centri, but I need it to be CARB legal. So for now it looks like Edelbrock eForce or Callaway. But still on the fence as to which way to go.

Quick Reply: Is anyone using FI on a daily driven C7 Stingray?