C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When will HPT be able to make changes to the A8?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 02:31 AM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Default When will HPT be able to make changes to the A8?

And will it clear up the delay between hitting the paddle and shifting?
Old 07-28-2015, 07:55 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

HPT can make lots of changes to the A8, the only thing that's missing is altering shift pressures and altering very specific "customized" torque management tables but there is access to turn TM on and off for certain situations.

We don't really know if the A8 uses the same logic as the A6 so I wouldn't sweat that too much.

The paddle command to shift actuation delay is, and has been, inherent in all non-DCT cars since forever. It will never click to the next gear like the paddle is mechanically connected to the transmission. Even DCT cars have a slight delay.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:58 PM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
The paddle command to shift actuation delay is, and has been, inherent in all non-DCT cars since forever. It will never click to the next gear like the paddle is mechanically connected to the transmission. Even DCT cars have a slight delay.
I felt like this would be the answer... It's really the only disappointing thing about the A8 if you ask me... But it's VERY disappointing. Mainly because it's all controlled via a processor... So it's something that *could* be improved.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:03 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by RideZX6R
I felt like this would be the answer... It's really the only disappointing thing about the A8 if you ask me... But it's VERY disappointing. Mainly because it's all controlled via a processor... So it's something that *could* be improved.
I think it's because it's not a direct connection, processed or not, it goes through the CAN system and is subject to all the torque calculations as everything else.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:50 PM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

I think it's because it's not a direct connection, processed or not, it goes through the CAN system and is subject to all the torque calculations as everything else.
My understanding is the PDK, DCT, DSG, all go thru the CAN system too... And I wish it was that fast.

I'll probably end up with a 7MT instead because of this (which, to be fair, is NOT that bad haha)
Old 07-28-2015, 04:00 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

For us who track the A8, the delay is the least of our problems. Biggest issue is overheating. Once the transmission temperature gets to 240F + on the track the delay becomes larger and shifts become anything but smooth. Once the transmission gets above 270F then the car goes into limp mode.
I would go with manual transmission if you are planning to use the C7 for performance driving.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:08 PM
T/A KID
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts

I tuned my trans the 3rd day hp tuners had access to some of the tables, there's still not a lot to change, but there are some valuable tables.

My paddle mode is basically instant though, maybe a 100 to 150 rpm lead time. ( I don't recall stock, hasn't been that way in a long time)
Old 07-28-2015, 06:46 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,303 Posts

I thought it was because it doesn't preselect the next gear like a dual clutch transmission, being it's still an automatic with torque converter?
Old 07-28-2015, 07:39 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
I thought it was because it doesn't preselect the next gear like a dual clutch transmission, being it's still an automatic with torque converter?
That's a contributing factor to slow responses to shift commands, true. The paddle disconnect is not unique to the Vette however. We talked a lot about the drawbacks to the TC a year or so ago. Good times.

Get notified of new replies

To When will HPT be able to make changes to the A8?

Quick Reply: When will HPT be able to make changes to the A8?