C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitation issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 12:33 AM
Eric Kim
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation issues

Guys i have a 2015 corvette C7 stingray and i purchased in Michigan 5 months ago. I have about 9k miles and i realized that when I floor my car, the power does not kick in right away (there is a hesitation before it kicks in). it looks like it waits about a second and kicks in.. especially when I start from 0 mph. The car is in the dealership and told me that they test drove the car to see what sup.

but they told me that they have the documents saying that some corvettes are hesitating for micro -seconds. they told me it is normal and i definitely think it is abnormal. i am going to the dealership on friday and i really want suggestions. I really dont want this car if it can't even function right to have the full speed and the power.
My 2014 stingray never did this.

what should i do ? i feel like i want to file complaints to GM.

help me out here
Old 07-30-2015, 12:48 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Eric Kim
Guys i have a 2015 corvette C7 stingray and i purchased in Michigan 5 months ago. I have about 9k miles and i realized that when I floor my car, the power does not kick in right away (there is a hesitation before it kicks in). it looks like it waits about a second and kicks in.. especially when I start from 0 mph. The car is in the dealership and told me that they test drove the car to see what sup.

but they told me that they have the documents saying that some corvettes are hesitating for micro -seconds. they told me it is normal and i definitely think it is abnormal. i am going to the dealership on friday and i really want suggestions. I really dont want this car if it can't even function right to have the full speed and the power.
My 2014 stingray never did this.

what should i do ? i feel like i want to file complaints to GM.

help me out here
go test drive another 2015 on the lot and see if it does the same thing. Then you will know if it is normal or if you have an actual issue..

Last edited by FYREANT; 07-30-2015 at 01:09 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:08 AM
Eric Kim
Cruising

Default ya

Originally Posted by FYREANT
go test drive another 2105 on the lot and see if it does the same thing. Then you will know if it is normal or if you have an actual issue..
From my common sense knowledge, this should not happen to any vehicle right? especially for corvettes. if you are paying for fast cars why should there be hesitations?
Old 07-30-2015, 01:10 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

From my common sense knowledge, this should not happen to any vehicle right? especially for corvettes. if you are paying for fast cars why should there be hesitations?
They should not, but its a way for you to confirm your suspicion and prove to the dealer all in one effort.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:14 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

The trip to the dealer will do nothing, I went through that the only thing that works is to have it tuned or buy a tuner and do it yourself.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:08 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Can you describe the hesitation in more detail?

For example, if you mash the throttle, or give it about 1/2 throttle, and literally nothing happens for a second or more, that's not normal.

But if you mean that you give it a bunch of throttle from, say 2000 rpm, and it starts moving, but doesn't really get moving until the revs get up around 3500, or you mash the throttle to the floor, that is normal.

The 'vette implements something called torque management which limits acceleration under some conditions in the name of driver safety. One example: the throttle is very non-linear. The first 50% of gas pedal motion is significantly less than 50% of throttle opening. Another example: the computer won't let the throttle open 100% below about 3500 rpm, even if you mash the pedal to the floor.

You probably wouldn't want to completely eliminate torque management on the street, but from what I read here a good tune, or a device like the Diablosport tuners, can make the car much more responsive.

Based on your description, I think you might be seeing the effects of torque management, but it's hard to be sure.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:29 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by meyerweb

For example, if you mash the throttle, or give it about 1/2 throttle, and literally nothing happens for a second or more, that's not normal.

But if you mean that you give it a bunch of throttle from, say 2000 rpm, and it starts moving, but doesn't really get moving until the revs get up around 3500, or you mash the throttle to the floor, that is normal.

The 'vette implements something called torque management which limits acceleration under some conditions in the name of driver safety. One example: the throttle is very non-linear. The first 50% of gas pedal motion is significantly less than 50% of throttle opening. Another example: the computer won't let the throttle open 100% below about 3500 rpm, even if you mash the pedal to the floor.

You probably wouldn't want to completely eliminate torque management on the street, but from what I read here a good tune, or a device like the Diablosport tuners, can make the car much more responsive.

Based on your description, I think you might be seeing the effects of torque management, but it's hard to be sure.
thats why I recommended he test drive another to confirm if that was the issue or not.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:01 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

I am willing to bet its normal because mine doesnt response 100% unless i am really on the gas.

Its like you give it some gas, and it makes a quick one second calculation then power is given. lol!
Old 07-30-2015, 02:36 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

My 15 did this, it is common with drive by wire accelerators.
Installed a Sprint Booster and problem eliminated.
The following users liked this post:
astaggs (03-01-2017)
Old 07-31-2015, 12:01 AM
Eric Kim
Cruising

When I step on the acceleration pedal to the floor from the stop, it would not kick in right away. looks like it is thinking and kicks in.

Looks like car moves after 0.5-1 second after i hit on the acceleration pedal.

it also does same thing when car is moving when i hit on the gas pedal.

i am planning to go pick up my car from the dealership and drive with them tomorrow. I am going to demonstrate the problems when i am with them in the car.

I just think this is an unnecessary problem. It is not a cheap car and they should not have any of these problems when they make the car.

Also if they tune my car will it get rid of the factory warranty?
thanks

Old 07-31-2015, 12:36 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

The hesitation can be a couple things----
From a dead stop and the Traction control ON --sure you will get a hesitation as the TC system is preventing the tires from spinning----With the TC OFF you should be able to spin the tires and most of the delay/hesitation will go away
HOWEVER there is another programming issue on a C7 that causes a hesitation whether the TC is on or off--
The C7 drive by wire throttle proramming does NOT allow the throttle to go to wide open until the RPM's exceed approx. 3400-3600 RPM's--So even if you floor the throttle there is a built in throttle opening limit until you reach that RPM---That in turns causes another sort of delay/hesitation
Good news is that this table in your ECM is completely tunable---You can tune the throttle to go to wide open from idle on up----and not the factory programmed 3400-3600
Old 07-31-2015, 09:22 AM
meyerweb
Safety Car

The hesitation you describe doesn't sound normal to me.

Also if they tune my car will it get rid of the factory warranty?
thanks
It won't eliminate the warranty entirely, but will allow GM to void coverage for anything related to the tune.

So if your radiator fails, say, or the paint blisters, those would still be covered by warranty because the tune doesn't affect the radiator or the paint. But if you have an engine failure, GM could claim it was because of the tune and refuse to honor the warranty on the engine.

Diablosport claims that if you use their product, you can reverse the tune and go back to factory and GM can't tell you did anything. Some people believe that GM will be able to tell. I don't have a tune, and I have no idea who is correct.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:52 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

The hesitation you describe doesn't sound normal to me.

It won't eliminate the warranty entirely, but will allow GM to void coverage for anything related to the tune.

So if your radiator fails, say, or the paint blisters, those would still be covered by warranty because the tune doesn't affect the radiator or the paint. But if you have an engine failure, GM could claim it was because of the tune and refuse to honor the warranty on the engine.

Diablosport claims that if you use their product, you can reverse the tune and go back to factory and GM can't tell you did anything. Some people believe that GM will be able to tell. I don't have a tune, and I have no idea who is correct.
There was a posting in the Z06 forum where a member who had the Diablo sport tune got a engine replaced under warranty confirming that they could not tell the car was tuned..
Old 07-31-2015, 09:56 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
I am willing to bet its normal because mine doesnt response 100% unless i am really on the gas.

Its like you give it some gas, and it makes a quick one second calculation then power is given. lol!
My 14 does it, It seems to me it has gotten worse over the years as they add more gears. I can quickly floor it and let off and nothing happens because of this delay in these systems. That is throttle by wire!
Old 07-31-2015, 11:02 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Prior to 2014 most all tunes whether a handheld tuner or a full tune with HP or EFILIVE was completely un detectable
However with the advent of GM's new E92 ECM that's used on the 2014 Silverado na Corvette the tune can be detected---Not the tune file itself but rather by a more complicated issue---When a 2014-2015 Silverado or Corvette is tuned the "CHECKSUMS" can be changed--- Checksums are a very hard thing to describe-
As far as my experience has been so far no dealers in my area have refused to honor a warranty issue on the engine if the checksums don't match the factory numbers---I think with a history of abuse they may play that card but on most cars they overlook it---
JMHO
Old 07-31-2015, 11:35 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by tblu92
Prior to 2014 most all tunes whether a handheld tuner or a full tune with HP or EFILIVE was completely un detectable
However with the advent of GM's new E92 ECM that's used on the 2014 Silverado na Corvette the tune can be detected---Not the tune file itself but rather by a more complicated issue---When a 2014-2015 Silverado or Corvette is tuned the "CHECKSUMS" can be changed--- Checksums are a very hard thing to describe-
As far as my experience has been so far no dealers in my area have refused to honor a warranty issue on the engine if the checksums don't match the factory numbers---I think with a history of abuse they may play that card but on most cars they overlook it---
JMHO
It didn't start with E92 ECMs in 2014 at all....

Specific

Hell, there's an infinite amount of examples.

Last edited by Higgs Boson; 07-31-2015 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:16 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FYREANT
There was a posting in the Z06 forum where a member who had the Diablo sport tune got a engine replaced under warranty confirming that they could not tell the car was tuned..
Or it confirmed that GM saw the cause of the problem was defective parts and never even looked to see if it had been tuned.

I read that thread, and nothing in it "proved" anything as far as I'm concerned. If the poster knew for a fact that GM had looked for ECM changes and found none, that would be proof.

Get notified of new replies

To Hesitation issues

Old 08-01-2015, 07:11 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Or it confirmed that GM saw the cause of the problem was defective parts and never even looked to see if it had been tuned.

I read that thread, and nothing in it "proved" anything as far as I'm concerned. If the poster knew for a fact that GM had looked for ECM changes and found none, that would be proof.
good point.. i'll give ya that..
Old 08-02-2015, 12:06 PM
Eric Kim
Cruising

[QUOTE=meyerweb;1590179748]Or it confirmed that GM saw the cause of the problem was defective parts and never even looked to see if it had been tuned.

I read that thread, and nothing in it "proved" anything as far as I'm concerned. If the poster knew for a fact that GM had looked for ECM changes and found none, that would be proof.[/QUOT

gm really needs to pay attention and apologize. wasting my time
Old 08-02-2015, 03:08 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

gm really needs to pay attention and apologize. wasting my time
Apologize for what?

Quick Reply: Hesitation issues