C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's talk about IAT breakout.. (whats needed, installing, Etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 01:42 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Default Let's talk about IAT breakout.. (whats needed, installing, Etc.)

I understand what doing an IAT breakout is supposed to do as my tuner has recommend I do an IAT breakout on my C7 for my SC/Meth install. I am not sure though how to complete this. Is there a vendor that offers a "kit" of sorts with the needed sensor and some way to pigtail it? If not what sensor part number do I need and how do I tap it in?

Ant
Old 08-01-2015, 01:57 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

DSteck is making a harness to break out IAT and Baro sensors from the MAF to the appropriate places, I would highly recommend waiting on that because it's going to make it much cleaner than the normal DIY job. I am sure he will let us know which sensors he has plugs for on the harness.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:02 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
DSteck is making a harness to break out IAT and Baro sensors from the MAF to the appropriate places, I would highly recommend waiting on that because it's going to make it much cleaner than the normal DIY job. I am sure he will let us know which sensors he has plugs for on the harness.
I would love to wait for that, but I need to have it installed and ready for my tuning session in 2 weeks. Are no vendors offering a harness break out yet?
Old 08-01-2015, 02:06 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
I would love to wait for that, but I need to have it installed and ready for my tuning session in 2 weeks. Are no vendors offering a harness break out yet?
I doubt it, it's not really a common thing to be on the market. You could either contact Steck directly and try to get a one off (I am sure he will appreciate that recommendation) or just disable the Baro and tune it MAF only for now. Or who knows, maybe it will be out in a week.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:11 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
I doubt it, it's not really a common thing to be on the market. You could either contact Steck directly and try to get a one off (I am sure he will appreciate that recommendation) or just disable the Baro and tune it MAF only for now. Or who knows, maybe it will be out in a week.
I'll msg him and see what he says. Thanks for the reco. If not, I'll need to know which sensor I need and how to break it out manually. I can do a pretty good DIY job when I need to lol.

Planning to use the second IAT for meth safety so I don't blow up the motor if something happens with the meth.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:30 PM
T/A KID
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts

12614717 is the threaded IAT that's uses a m14x1.5 thread (instead of tapping, I'd just use a bung)

I know I have used that sensor in the past and I think Dave uses it too. It's from a cadiallac ctsv and you can use a ctsv file and make the appropriate changes to the IAT table for correct readouts (have to adjust the axis a little)
I'm assuming he is setting up his kit for that sensor, check with him though

Last edited by T/A KID; 08-01-2015 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:34 PM
T/A KID
Drifting

I don't know who is sitting up your tune but there is only so much you can do with the IAT table to kill off timing in result of a pump failure. It's really better to have multiple tunes that deal with different temperature conditions.

Best way in my opinion to have a fail safe with meth is have a relay that works with the IAT. If anything happens to the pump sends a signal to the IAT and tricks it into a certain temperature readout that you can tune to pull 10+ degrees of timing. This would work regardless of air temperature conditions
Old 08-01-2015, 02:45 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by T/A KID
12614717 is the threaded IAT that's uses a m15x1.5 thread (instead of tapping, I'd just use a bung)

I know I have used that sensor in the past and I think Dave uses it too. It's from a cadiallac ctsv and you can use a ctsv file and make the appropriate changes to the IAT table for correct readouts (have to adjust the axis a little)
I'm assuming he is setting up his kit for that sensor, check with him though
I've PM'ed him to check and see. Thanks for the part number!

I don't know who is sitting up your tune but there is only so much you can do with the IAT table to kill off timing in result of a pump failure. It's really better to have multiple tunes that deal with different temperature conditions.

Best way in my opinion to have a fail safe with meth is have a relay that works with the IAT. If anything happens to the pump sends a signal to the IAT and tricks it into a certain temperature readout that you can tune to pull 10+ degrees of timing. This would work regardless of air temperature conditions
Having Matt @ FSP tune my car. Planning to have it tuned in about 2 weeks. This is my first time dealing with adding Meth to a car, or having to add sensors so I really don't know much at all in this territory. I have only had 1 boosted car before and it was boosted from the factory (Lancer Evo IX MR). As I understand it, the second IAT would sense when the intake charge temp gets too high as if I ran out of meth or the pump failed and pulls a ton of timing (10-15*) so the car falls on its face but the motor is saved. right?
Old 08-01-2015, 07:18 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

DSteck got back to me and unfortunately they kits will not be ready in the time window I would need it. Does anyone have any pictures or instructions on how to break out the wires since the kit will not be ready in time?
Old 08-01-2015, 08:06 PM
T/A KID
Drifting

Get a wire schematic of the maf, it's 2 wires for the IAT. I'd call a company like caspers and get a connector that would work with the IAT above. Take the 2 wires from the maf to the connector and plug into the IAT sensor
Old 08-01-2015, 09:05 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Get a wire schematic of the maf, it's 2 wires for the IAT. I'd call a company like caspers and get a connector that would work with the IAT above. Take the 2 wires from the maf to the connector and plug into the IAT sensor
ok that may be doable actually. I have the helms manuals so I have the wiring schematics already. I have never ordered from Caspers though, do I just give them the part number of the sensor and tell them I need a connector for it?
Old 08-01-2015, 09:08 PM
T/A KID
Drifting

Yep give them a call Monday, they should be able to fix you up.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:21 PM
T/A KID
Drifting

http://www.casperselectronics.com/store2/product_info.php?products_id=1627

Idk why that didn't paste well, but they have a Gen 5 (c7 and truck) IAT breakout, that's what you need. Uses a different sensor, but will still work

Last edited by T/A KID; 08-01-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:19 AM
lsp408
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On the Baro sensor, do you all actually take the MAF apart and extract the Baro sensor? Would it be safer to buy new MAF or 2013 zr1 Baro sensor (not MAP) to do it that way? I too are waiting for the harness kit. But I am also need it by next weekend for wot tuning. Can any of you got picture for the process?
Old 08-02-2015, 10:20 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

http://www.casperselectronics.com/store2/product_info.php?products_id=1627

Idk why that didn't paste well, but they have a Gen 5 (c7 and truck) IAT breakout, that's what you need. Uses a different sensor, but will still work
Great find! I'm going to email the link to my tuner for that harness (and the sensor) to get his blessing. Then I will order then and keep everyone posted.

Ant
Old 08-02-2015, 10:48 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Thinking more about this, I do have a short MAF extension that came with my SC kit so I could always tap into that to break out the IAT and then my factory harness would be safe from butchering. Still want to get the harness above so it looks cleaner.

As for mounting the IAT sensor in the charge tube, I assume I have to locate a suitable rubber grommet and nut for the sensor on the inside of the charge tube? or would the sensor come with that?
Old 08-03-2015, 06:52 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

T/A, I'll be ordering that harness today, Matt said that it will work. As for a getting the sensor installed into the charge pipe, how would I go about that? You mentioned a bung, do you know of a specific bung I could use for this? I assume I can just take this to a machine shop and have them weld the bung in..

Get notified of new replies

To Let's talk about IAT breakout.. (whats needed, installing, Etc.)

Old 08-03-2015, 10:48 PM
T/A KID
Drifting

The IAT for that sensor should be 3/8 thread. Just take the tube and have a 3/8 bung welded to it, simple as that
Old 08-07-2015, 06:53 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Includes the LS9 MAP and IAT sensors.

Last edited by DSteck; 08-10-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:54 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

T/A, I received the harness from Caspers today and the IAT sensor. I can confirm the harness properly fits the C7 Map sensor connector.

If anyone needs just an IAT breakout, this harness is also an option for you. Here is a pic of the harness and sensor I received. I have just ordered a 3/8" NPT aluminum weld bung and will have it welded to the intake charge pipe this coming weekend.

Ant

Quick Reply: Let's talk about IAT breakout.. (whats needed, installing, Etc.)